CoTaCo (V4.2.2): Task converter for XCSoar, LK8000 & SeeYou

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

janjansen

Re: Yet another task converter for XCSoar

Post by janjansen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 am

I got a bit further. Using FTPuse:

https://www.wintips.org/map-ftp-to-loca ... r-windows/

I can now map an FTP folder to a drive letter
Windows complains about low drive space and I can not copy files to the FTP drive using windows file manager (it thinks there is no room for a 12Kb file while oddly stating it has 2TB free out of 4TB), but cotaco can write to the drive letter anyway, and I can use the network location to copy files in windows file manager, so that works.
And no, the tablet doesnt have 2TB free space, I wish :)

Now Ill need to find an FTP server that autostarts on android, but that should exist.

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:19 pm

I use a more simple way to get the task on my android phone.
I use a xcsoar folder on my Microsoft "OneDrive " Image

then I download the OneDrive File to my a xcsoar Data folder in my phone
OF course my C:\user.OneDrive folder is synchronized with the on line Cloud.
Capricorne - S67

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Something like that would work for me too, but not for most club members I fear, for many of them just using xcsoar will be a mountain to climb.
So Im trying to keep the condor integration as "single click"/ idiot proof as possible. Which Im pretty close now thanks to Cotaco and the auto start / auto mount FTP approach :)

The only thing better would be to integrate cotaco in to condor and/or have a condor driver for xcsoar that lets condor select the correct XCM, define the task, airplane, ballast, mcready setting, ,...

hey, one can dream, no?

;)

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 am

Do you mean something like that...?

:lol: :lol:
Capricorne - S67

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 am

CoTaCo is now hosted on the new webpage (together with the other utilities I wrote) : http://condorutill.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Please do not use the old Google Drive links any more as they won't be maintained in the long term.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Bre901

XCSoar feature (not a bug) detected

Post by Bre901 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:58 pm

In today's Tchin-tchin flight all XCSoar users were unable to load the converted task.

After some testing I found out that it was because there was a "<" in a turn point name, which XCSoar doesn't like (unfortunately silently)

">" has the same effect which is not surprising as "<" and ">" are XML delimiters.

I'll code a workaround in the next version of CoTaCo, but until then the fix is easy : if this happens, edit the .tsk file with Notepad or any text editor and remove the "<" and/or ">" in the turn point names (but not at the beginning or end of lines)

Please could the tasksetters refrain from using "<" and ">" characters in the turn point names.

Bre901

New version, work in progress

Post by Bre901 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

I am currently working on a new CoTaCo version which will create a profile file for XCSoar.

I haven't seen any issues for the time being, except maybe for the map management as the naming of the downloadable maps for XCSoar has nothing to do with the Condor landscapes, and I'm not talking about generated maps for which the user can give any name ...

What could be done is :

1 - the user is 100% responsible for map management, i.e. he makes sure that for each landscape there is an XCSoar map which has the same name (e.g. Slovenia2.xcm) (sadly shortcuts don't work)

2 - the user creates a text file in which the XCSoar maps are linked to the Condor landscapes, e.g. :
AA2=ALPS_HighRes.xcm
Slovenia2=ALPS_HighRes.xcm

3 - CoTaCo manages that text file by asking the user to supply a map for each landscape not found in the file and updating the file

Please indicate your preferred option
Comments and/or suggestions are welcome

PS : does anyone know how to specify the water-ballast content in a XCSoar profile file (.prf) ? TIA

Pit_R

Re: New version, work in progress

Post by Pit_R » Wed May 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

2 - the user creates a text file in which the XCSoar maps are linked to the Condor landscapes, e.g. :
AA2=ALPS_HighRes.xcm
Slovenia2=ALPS_HighRes.xcm

3 - CoTaCo manages that text file by asking the user to supply a map for each landscape not found in the file and updating the file

This is how it was done in Condor2Nav (SceneryData.csv). And it was flexible.
Point 3 will make this process even easier. ;)
Last edited by Pit_R on Thu May 30, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: CoTaCo : Yet another task converter for XCSoar

Post by EDB » Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm
I am currently working on a new CoTaCo version which will create a profile file for XCSoar.

Can you make this an other utility? Maybe called CoProCo as an fpl to profile converter..? And keep CoTaCo as a fpl to task and airspace converter..?

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 am

EDB wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 pm
Can you make this an other utility? Maybe called CoProCo as an fpl to profile converter..? And keep CoTaCo as a fpl to task and airspace converter..?
I have trouble understanding what use would be another utility doing similar stuff in the same circumstances : the only things that would get changed in the profile file are as needed for the planned flight as the ones written to the .tsk file :
- airspace file name
- map name
- glider name
- waypoints file
and those are precisely the ones that have to be set by hand in XCSoar for the time being.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm

Since XCSoar re-uses the profile file used previously, CoTaCo will write a file called Condor.prf.
If this file does not exist, it will be created from the file named default.prf, otherwise CoTaCo creates a backup copy (Condor.prf.bak) and updates the file with the elements of the flight plan read.
The default.prf file will never be modified.

What do you think about that ?

Option 3 includes option 2 and makes life easier for users with uncomfortable text editors, and the coding effort is more than reasonable (about 15 lines of code) so I got into it.

Regarding water-ballast, I took a quick look at the XCSOar source code, it seems that it is not possible to set the value in the profile file, so it will still have to be defined by hand . :(

A beta version should be available soon, volunteer beta-testers are welcome !

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Thu May 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 am
EDB wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 pm
I have trouble understanding what use would be another utility doing similar stuff in the same circumstances : the only things that would get changed in the profile file are as needed for the planned flight as the ones written to the .tsk file :
- airspace file name
- map name
- glider name
- waypoints file
and those are precisely the ones that have to be set by hand in XCSoar for the time being.

Because I only need a tsk file and a txt airspace file. And then I will have to keep the current version locked up in my safe for It can be overwritten by accident by a new version...
Or give the utility the option to only write a tsk and txt file, like Condor2Nav had...

Code: Select all

; Translation options
SetGPS=0
SetSceneryMap=0
SetSceneryTime=0
SetGlider=0
SetTask=1
SetPenaltyZones=1
SetWeather=0

EDB

Post by EDB » Thu May 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Since XCSoar re-uses the profile file used previously, CoTaCo will write a file called Condor.prf.
If this file does not exist, it will be created from the file named default.prf, otherwise CoTaCo creates a backup copy (Condor.prf.bak) and updates the file with the elements of the flight plan read.
The default.prf file will never be modified.

This is exactly the problem in this design. Any changed setting in the profile on the device will be overwritten by the default.prf... And I have to change more things depending on the landscape used.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:46 am

EDB wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:16 pm
This is exactly the problem in this design. Any changed setting in the profile on the device will be overwritten by the default.prf... And I have to change more things depending on the landscape used.
I beg to differ

On a PC, XCSoar uses and modifies only the profile file that is selected when starting the app

A quick test on my Android mobile phone shows that one can also select a different profile file (provided there is more than one in the root folder) and that changes made to that file (be it by changing settings in the app or by editing the file) do not affect the default.prf file, only the file in use.
Or give the utility the option to only write a tsk and txt file, like Condor2Nav had...
Adding an option to write a profile file (and another one to write a Default.tsk in the root folder) is indeed something I could do.
... or you could just stick with the current version ...

EDB

Post by EDB » Fri May 31, 2019 10:13 am

The best design would be writing a Default.tsk and Default.txt for automated use... Something the current version is missing ..

And maybe a SelectedFileName.tsk and SelectedFileName.txt for archiving/manual use ..
Last edited by EDB on Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.