CoTaCo (V4.2.2): Task converter for XCSoar, LK8000 & SeeYou

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Bre901

Re: CoTaCo : Yet another task converter for XCSoar

Post by Bre901 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am

janjansen wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:21 pm
Now it runs only once. First time it appears to work, the second time it runs (when cotaco.ini is created), it gives me an error:
*** file cotaco.ini: missing data***
Thats without me touching the ini file.

Im guessing its still related to that duplicate Flightplans path=
which now no longer is duplicate but something somewhere still wants it to be? You can tell Im an expert programmer :D
Thanks for the file.

It actually happens because the "Condor 1 Path=" field is blank (I guess C1 is not installed on your PC, it is on mine, that's why I didn't see it)

I made a too clever change yesterday (see the above comment about gardening :oops: :oops: )

Bug fixed, same download link, exe version = 2.3.3.1
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

Seems to work ok now.

Will test more, but some comments/questions already, as it took me a while to understand how to "automate" the loading of tasks and maps, and I may still not quite understand it, partially because Im no xcsoar expert, but perhaps the manual could be made a little more idiot proof in that regard.

As I understand it, xcsoar on startup loads "default.tsk" if it exists, so to avoid having to manually select the task, the user should change the cotaco ini file to Write Default Files=1.

To avoid having to manually select the XCM map (and I guess cup file?), you need to maintain the Profile file= so it creates a condor.prf profile and you need to select that profile on startup as xcsoar reads the xcm (and cup?) from the profile file. Correct?

To avoid having to select a profile on xcsoar startup, it appears you can delete default.prf after cotaco has created a condor.prf. Maybe thats pointless and you can just set in the ini Profile file=default.prf? Not sure, didnt test that yet, but it would make sense so Im going to assume thats what I should have done. If so, it would be a good idea to mention that in the manual.

To avoid having to manually load penalty zones (Condor-PZ.txt), I have not figured that out yet. I think I read in this thread it requires manually editing the prf?

Finally, not really a question, but I had completely forgotten condor saved the selected plane in the fpl, so its cool cotaco selects the right one. That never worked for me until now, because my polars are in \XCSoarData root, not in a polars subfolder, and I never edited the ini, but I have no idea how most people have that set up. It might be useful if the dialog box upon finishing the conversion is a little more verbose in this regard, perhaps just add that it pre-selected polar "xyw" in folder "abc" for profile condor.prf along with a little reminder to configure water ballast. Yes, its all in the manual, never hurts to remind.
Also, if you downloaded the fpl or got it by mail, you have no idea what plane will be selected.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 pm

janjansen wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am
Seems to work ok now.

Will test more, but some comments/questions already, as it took me a while to understand how to "automate" the loading of tasks and maps, and I may still not quite understand it, partially because Im no xcsoar expert, but perhaps the manual could be made a little more idiot proof in that regard.

As I understand it, xcsoar on startup loads "default.tsk" if it exists, so to avoid having to manually select the task, the user should change the cotaco ini file to Write Default Files=1.
Yes

To avoid having to manually select the XCM map (and I guess cup file?), you need to maintain the Profile file= so it creates a condor.prf profile and you need to select that profile on startup as xcsoar reads the xcm (and cup?) from the profile file. Correct?
Yes
To avoid having to select a profile on xcsoar startup, it appears you can delete default.prf after cotaco has created a condor.prf. Maybe thats pointless and you can just set in the ini Profile file=default.prf? Not sure, didnt test that yet, but it would make sense so Im going to assume thats what I should have done. If so, it would be a good idea to mention that in the manual.
XCSoar remembers the last profile read,
no need to fiddle with files
To avoid having to manually load penalty zones (Condor-PZ.txt), I have not figured that out yet. I think I read in this thread it requires manually editing the prf?
No, the airspace file is written to the profile file
Finally, not really a question, but I had completely forgotten condor saved the selected plane in the fpl, so its cool cotaco selects the right one. That never worked for me until now, because my polars are in \XCSoarData root, not in a polars subfolder, and I never edited the ini, but I have no idea how most people have that set up. It might be useful if the dialog box upon finishing the conversion is a little more verbose in this regard, perhaps just add that it pre-selected polar "xyw" in folder "abc" for profile condor.prf along with a little reminder to configure water ballast. Yes, its all in the manual, never hurts to remind.
Also, if you downloaded the fpl or got it by mail, you have no idea what plane will be selected.
Good idea, I'll add the polar to the end message

I also fixed a more or less cosmetic bug about the airspace file
Beta 5 is available : https://drive.google.com/file/d/11sLcjk ... sp=sharing

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 am

Bre901 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:08 am
JBlyth wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:32 am
[...] I have noticed that with the new CoTaCo version that I get a "name of landscape.cup" error when using CoTaCo for the first time on a new landscape.

Starting a flight with that landscape and then running CoTaCo again runs perfectly.

It MIGHT be because I am using a different drive for my landscapes but I am not sure....
As I haven't released CoTaCo V3 yet, I'll check that on Monday
Sorry for the late answer.
Actually procrastination wasn't that bad because I found out the answer without looking into the source code, just by answering to another turnpoints related thread a few minutes ago :mrgreen:

It's not a CoTaCo bug, it's a Condor feature :wink: :

The first time it uses a landscape, Condor copies the .cup file from ...\Condor2\Landscapes\MYLANDSCAPE\MYLANDSCAPE.cup to DOCUMENTS\Condor\Turnpoints\MYLANDSCAPE.cup. The original file will then be ignored.

As CoTaCo searches for CUP files in the Turnpoints folder, it's quite normal that it doesn't find a file corresponding to a brand new landscape, because it's not yet there.

I could, of course, make CoTaCo search for the CUP file in the Landscapes folder if it's not in the Turnpoints folder, but I'm not sure it's worth changing the code as the workaround is so easy (and to be used only once in a while) :
just start Condor, activate the flight planner, select the new landscape et voilà !

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:49 am

Bre901 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 am
just start Condor, activate the flight planner, select the new landscape et voilà !
Thanks - that sounds like a fair solution.

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:50 am

I'll update the manual accordingly.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:03 am

The V3.0 Release Candidate is available there : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eu0EHL ... sp=sharing

Many thanks again to all the beta-testers Image Image

Unless a last minute bug is discovered it will be available on the official site in the coming days

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:46 pm

As no bugs have bitten since the Release Candidate was issued, it becomes V3.0

It is available on the webpage : https://condorutill.pagesperso-orange.f ... tml#CoTaCo

Please do not use the Google Drive link anymore

If you have already installed V3RC1, no need to download it again as nothing has been changed.

Version 3.1 will feature AATs for LK8000 and some minor improvements for XCSoar, it will be available in the coming weeks.

If you have suggestions, don't wait !

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am

A bug has been detected:

if you want to convert a flight plan for LK8000, CoTaCo crashes if it finds an empty "description" field in the .cup file (this is the case for the files stored by Condor in the DOCUMENTS\Condor\Turnpoint folder).

The corrected version (V3.0.1) has been put online.

If you are not using LK8000 or XCSoar with the -chkwp option, you can continue to use V3.0.0

Sorry for the inconvenience

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am
A bug has been detected:

if you want to convert a flight plan for LK8000, CoTaCo crashes if it finds an empty "description" field in the .cup file (this is the case for the files stored by Condor in the DOCUMENTS\Condor\Turnpoint folder).

The corrected version (V3.0.1) has been put online.

If you are not using LK8000 or XCSoar with the -chkwp option, you can continue to use V3.0.0

Sorry for the inconvenience
sur ta page , je ne vois que la V3.0
Capricorne - S67

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:11 pm

C'est bien la version corrigée, la 3.0.1 est une correction de bug et n'apporte pas de nouvelle fonctionnalité, elle n'est donc pas identifiée spécifiquement

This is indeed the fixed version, 3.0.1 is a bug fix and does not bring any new feature, so it is not specifically identified

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Ok mais je n'aime pas écraser dans mes archives, une version x, par une version différente, qui a le même nom
( Ok but I don't like to overwrite in my archives, a version x, by a different version, which has the same name ) :mrgreen:
Capricorne - S67

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:56 pm

I have problem. Condor2nav made two files, Condor.dat (txt format) and Condor.prf, and works OK, but CoTaCo made Condor.tsk instead .dat file and is some xml format and my XCSoar won't read this file and turnpoint. In both file, turnpoint is OK. What I doing wrong?

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:30 pm

What version of XCSoar are you using ?

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:22 am

Last version, 6.8.15
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.