Scottish wave

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Freebird

Scottish wave

Post by Freebird » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:58 am

Some people are having problems getting into wave with the Scotland scenery so I have created a Flight plan with wave flown from Feshie. Start is by winch (no point wasting time with aerotow) from the launch go straight to the ridge & it is possible to climb into wave using the ridge lift. I didn't investigate this wave just took enough height to safely jump to the nice big ridge about 7km to the SE (with a lenticular sitting above it). Here its possible to climb from the ridge straight into the wave to 19000ft+. There are no thermals just a cold September day with nice wave although thermals do not cause any problems with wave other than getting in your way as you climb. I suggest anyone experimenting with wave use the FPL as a known good baseline & play around with the settings to better understand how they change things (it should work just as well with any mountain scenery)

One thing to note is that setting 'airmass moisture' to max will put a lenticular on every bit of wave in the scenery which looks unrealistic & also can mislead you as a lot of those waves are not worth trying to climb in.

The view from 19000ft looking downwind, there is also nice wave 50km to the West.
Shot84.jpg
Feshie wave.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olympia

Re: Scottish wave

Post by Olympia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

Is there Scottish scenery in C2?

I haven't installed V2 yet (I am getting a new computer) and have been in no hurry since I was waiting till Scotland got coverage. Is there a list of the sceneries available in C2.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Olympia,
almost all the available sceneries for Condor are there:
http://www.condor-club.eu/sceneries/197/
The Condor2 sceneries are noted with a C2 (of course!)

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:13 pm

I've ordered Valium for the development team in case Olympia doesnt like Condor 2 .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks Freebird, I was hoping it would work. Must try this now.

Ian (BFTE) note, possible Beastly wave tasks!
Condor CN = E20

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Olympia wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

I haven't installed V2 yet (I am getting a new computer) and have been in no hurry since I was waiting till Scotland got coverage. Is there a list of the sceneries available in C2.
My Scotland 3 scenery is pure photo textures, no 3d objects, no trees just a nice view. I am thinking of making a set of alternate 4k dds textures for those that have massive hard drives :lol:
Condor CN = E20

Xanix

Post by Xanix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi. A ‘FlightTrack’ would be really helpful too. We could 'see' the proper way, to ‘transit’ from the ridge to the wave...

Feshie wave.ftr (to learn)
Feshie wave.fpl (to try it)

I’m not very good at waves… never been a good surfer, in my youth…
Kind regards to all,
Xanix

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:38 pm

The transit from ridge to wave in this instance couldn't be easier, just pretend the ridge lift never ends :) Use the ridge with the Lenticular above it as I described in my original post. Don't expect it to always be like that I just got lucky with this one. Use screen 4 of the PDA to see your track & try moving your track a little bit upwind (first) or downwind to find the strongest band of lift once your climbing steadily in the wave lift.

I did a 273km xcountry using these weather settings & its a bit boring, TP1 was Portmoak with the Laggan dam TP2 (aprox 50km wsw of Feshie) Condors useable wave does not extend as far downwind as RL so only very weak wave was found around Portmoak. I used ridge lift once I was back in the 'mountains' which made it more fun otherwise only 2 climbs would have been needed to complete the task. A ridge only task would be much more fun as low ridges work much better in Condor 2 & long tasks should be feasible.

Xanix

Post by Xanix » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Perfect explanation; thank you. I’m going to try it today, following your advice.

The transit from ridge to wave in this instance couldn't be easier, just pretend the ridge lift never ends.

1) Use the ridge with the Lenticular above it as I described in my original post.

2.a) Use screen 4 of the PDA to see your track & try moving your track a little bit upwind (first)

or

2.b) downwind to find the strongest band of lift once your climbing steadily in the wave lift.
Kind regards to all,
Xanix

Didivolk66

Post by Didivolk66 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Freebird
Thanks for nothing. On your FPL is not one lousy km just start. Are you in CC ? If put your ftr there. If not so be it. Have fun with the other ignorant PAs like Knownix. Best regards Didi&Anni

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Didivolk66 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 pm
Hi Freebird
Thanks for nothing. On your FPL is not one lousy km just start. Are you in CC ? If put your ftr there. If not so be it. Have fun with the other ignorant PAs like Knownix. Best regards Didi&Anni
Just a tip, suggest listening to the Likes of Freebird etc, instead of knocking it. He actually was one of the main inputs on the Wave in V2 along with a few more very experienced pilots. Sometimes it's better to shut up and listen rather than your approach I quoted,

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Andy1248 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:32 pm
Olympia wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

My Scotland 3 scenery is pure photo textures, no 3d objects, no trees just a nice view. I am thinking of making a set of alternate 4k dds textures for those that have massive hard drives :lol:
I never noticed that there were no objects. I didn't fly over towns and the absence of trees wasn't all that obvious! The bits of Scotland I really like are the far NW and there are no trees there anyway,

OXO can relax, Sedatives will not be needed once I get my new computer - what I have seen so far makes me think I will be very happy especially if the ridge problem has been solved. Maybe an Olympia will be one of the monthly new planes - I hope so. I'd settle for a Skylark4 though. I'll let you know. Right now I am in the middle of a big house alteration and have no spare time for hobbies alas. Best wishes to all my readers. Rumours of my demise are gross exaggerations. :D
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 pm

+1 for an Olympia 2b or a Skylark 4 in Condor. I also vote for a K6 (cr or e) and/or a Slingsby Dart. As this is the wave thread, thanks Freebird for the help in understanding the wave, from your fpl I went up to 20100ft which had it been real life would been a Diamond height.
Condor CN = E20

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Andy1248 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 pm
+1 for an Olympia 2b or a Skylark 4 in Condor. I also vote for a K6 (cr or e) and/or a Slingsby Dart. As this is the wave thread, thanks Freebird for the help in understanding the wave, from your fpl I went up to 20100ft which had it been real life would been a Diamond height.
May I respectfully suggest that you post your new planes suggestions in the ad-hoc thread : viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17603
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

KarlheinzV

Post by KarlheinzV » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi Freebird.
It is indeed easy to get into the wave. But as you did not say how fast the climb rate is I suppose i is a Scot wave I never managed more then 2m/s. :? Mostly less. So I gave up at 6000 feet, How about a ftr ? Andy you did it, ftr ?? you did not post it in CC. So I will wave in CW-A or Tian Shan. :mrgreen:
Up to 10m/s ore more that's bit better. Thanks for the tip with the air moisture. I thought so but was not sure. :idea: I do in TS and CW-A 50%.
Alter Borkenberge Holzklasse Pilot