Condor - new topic

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

Pit_R

Condor - new topic

Post by Pit_R » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Subject: [SBC2016] Main thread
CristianoConrado wrote:Hello,

The SKB is the major and the best competition of soaring sim community, but it dont means it can not be better.
There is a very often charecteristic in SKB tasks, with the specific route playing the main aspect to final results.
Sometimes a single pass decision make all the difference and it is not a good point to measure the pilots.
Lots of good pilots do not know that passes and routes, most of us are not europeans used to talk about or even fly in real life, hearing about all that mountains, histories and passes.
In real life we are able to know and study the surroundings of flight area with enough time before the races, some competitions in flat areas will emphasize thermal ability, wheater reading, AAT timing and etc...
All these make a more fair enviroment to measure the pilot.
The tasks should be a little less more oriented about the route and more oriented about the other parameters.
Another point is - We can avoid turning tasks in arcade gaming like this last Chile one, when after a technical first kilometers we are forced to fly at VNE pre-flutter speed to get results.
The task can be setted to avoid these VNEs unsafe behaviors, for example: avoiding too short run to finish after a high altitude pass.
The start altitude can be setted barely below the cloud base to avoid the VNEs starts, and it is a shame we can not set speed limit to start gate validation.
Most of you will not give value to what i am saying, but i see Condor as a training tool and we are massificating bad behavior, unsafe behavior in pilots.
We still can have mixing of thermaling and mountain ridge run but the "specific route" kind of task should be avoided, we can set winds and weather weak enough to make the flight more about taking the maximum from the glider in a more thecnical way, when you can fly fast but if you pass the point, blowing the polar, you will loose in the long run, in the most cases.
It is not a criticism but exposure of some ideas to make future tasks considering these points.
Flying at 297Km/h in a Open Class, in a turbulent, high altitude flight it is not that mind game and it is sounds stupid, but it is ok for "A GAME".

That is my 2 cents.

Regards and Aio Silver!

Cristiano Conrado
Subject: [SBC2016] Main thread
PhilippeFP wrote:Hello,

This is a discussion that existed since the creation of the simulator. This is not related to the SBC or any other competition. This is a simulator, so by definition it is not real.

Thank you not to add comments in this topic. If necessary, please open a new topic. :)
It is necessary! And probably such topic was inescapable. ;)

This is a simulator, so by definition it is not real.

Simulator (and simulation) by definition is trying to imitate reality and this is its most important attribute...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_video_game

So... is Condor: The Competition Soaring Simulator? Or maybe: kind of arcade air racing game? Or both? :)
Last edited by Pit_R on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

PhilippeFP

Re: Condor as the sim

Post by PhilippeFP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:38 pm

I apologize but I don't comment on a definition or other subtle research on its etymology.

What I know, if a woman simulates an orgasm, then this is not real orgasm...

Have fun with Condor :)

Pit_R

Re: Condor as the sim

Post by Pit_R » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Well - you mentioned definition - as ultimate argument against his doubts. :)
Please don't apologise - try to comment Cristiano's "complain". Isn't he even a little right?
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

PhilippeFP

Re: Condor - new topic

Post by PhilippeFP » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:57 pm

..... :|
Pit_R wrote:Please don't apologise - try to comment Cristiano's "complain
no...

not want
not required
too busy in real life

Sorry