[SBC2017] Main thread

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

thermal

Re: [SBC2016] Main thread

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:55 am

Actually, a very nice and quiet Open class flight.

Even what was supposed to be the second turnpoint was visible from a big distance, approaching from ~2000 meters.

I just counted them .... I took 92 pictures :( from that dam.ed hill, from all possible angles. No confirmation of a valid turnpoint, and believe me, I know how to round a camera TP from the old RL days!.

I gave up and landed in front of the nearest bar.
The bar was called "Biergarten Im Lotterie". :shock:
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

ejelaci

Re: [SBC2015] Main thread

Post by ejelaci » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 am

Never give up...

I made 228 photos near by the TP2 during 40 minutes... :)
Can I upload all my photos? :) :) :)

And finaly did it... :)
Shot2025.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ejelaci

Post by ejelaci » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:54 am

I see others flights and I have only one question:
I was the only one who didn't use external PDA? :(

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:24 am

On "No-PDA" tasks, Condor doesn't emit NMEA sentences.
So, the external PDA you normally use, doesn't work.
Back to map reading, which was of bad quality, the good old compass, and lots of luck. :roll:
It was a good training, but the decision to cancel was correct.
Sh.t happens sometimes, just like in RL. :(

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 am

ejelaci wrote:Never give up...
I had to... otherwise I couldn't have made it to that bar anymore. :mrgreen:

UWE

Post by UWE » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:16 pm

In real TP2 is much easier zu find :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WDP

Post by WDP » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Ach das ist der Berg? Hey, da war ich auch schon, aber höher :D

VST

Post by VST » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm

I used the Hahnweide SW Germany texture map for navigation. The default topographic map is unusable for visual navigation and apparently miscalibrated.

I also drew rings with intervals of 10km radius around Hahnweide and marked the turnpoints with my best knowledge. Drawing the task route lines would have been very beneficial.

For final glide estimation I zeroed my altimeter to QFE before takeoff and used a printed screenshot of the Vavg-Vopt and Glide Ratio -graphs calculated with the program ShowGliderDat 1.5. It wasn't very easy to calculate glide ratios in your head. Just having one graph with MC number versus glide ratio would be beneficial. If Helmut is taking suggestions, there's one. :)

All in all, a very fun and challenging exercise, but I wouldn't mind flying the rest of SBC using a PDA. :D For practising olden golden flying, there's always the BATOH races from Virtualsoaring.

Mad Mat

Post by Mad Mat » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 am

Yep, the problem is that with not enough time to accurately plan the flight, it is almost impossible to fly without a PDA...

ejelaci

Post by ejelaci » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I felt this task5 a little bit unfair...

I understand that you wanted to make a tricky task, but... light wind... weak thermals... very low cloudbase...
It's ok when the task is max 200km... but 300km...?! :? After 11pm I got tired of this game.

The 2nd problem: the "Randomize weather on each flight" option was on. This made different weather conditions on all servers... Is it ok?

Because we had not same chance I submitted a protest and ask deletion the task5.

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 am

ejelaci wrote:the "Randomize weather on each flight" option was on. This made different weather conditions on all servers... Is it ok?[/b]

All servers had the same weather conditions. The radomization is only that thermals are not allways at the same places. It has exactly the same effect than the small shifting in the opening of start time due to the different number of pilots on various servers.

ejelaci

Post by ejelaci » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:42 pm

The "randomized weather" make a totaly different conditions during every flight. Please try it... ;)

We can see the problem with the "fixed weather" also. Some privileged pilots can test the tasks before the comp days and this exercise can be seen in the results... ;)

I see it's a french game with french rules... And it is only a GAME... :)
But... please, FAIR PLAY! ;)
Peace.

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:11 pm

For the organisers - if there is anything that can be done :-)

SBC Day 05 - 04-01-2015

PSF finished around 0030 UTC and found unable to submit his ftr (rules say must be submitted prior to 0130 UTC).

His flight track has now been submitted to Pilots' Ranking section on Condor Club so it can be seen/accessed.

Seems as though initial scoring done whilst pilots still on servers and server and ftr posted numbers therefore don't seem to tally.

For clarification does the ftr have to be submitted by 0130 as per the rules or the 0015 time referred to within the 'End Date''?

We checked for him and read the time from the rules whilst he was on final glide so hoped all ok with his ftr being submitted < 0130.

Steve

P.S. Congratulations to all those that avoided those hard centred **%%## clouds!!!

arneh

Post by arneh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:56 pm

ejelaci wrote:The "randomized weather" make a totaly different conditions during every flight. Please try it... ;)
I think you're confusing the "random weather preset" with the "randomized weather on each flight". The first one changes everything to random. The latter will use the same wind, same thermal strength, same cloud base etc, only the position and timing of each thermal will differ so that you can't find the same thermal in the same place by flying the task multiple times.

It was the last one which was used yesterday, and while each thermal will not be exactly the same on each server, the conditions should be similar so that it can't be claimed to be unfair. At least not any more unfair than people starting at different times getting different thermals.

CNorbee

Post by CNorbee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 am

arneh wrote: I think you're confusing the "random weather preset" with the "randomized weather on each flight". The first one changes everything to random. The latter will use the same wind, same thermal strength, same cloud base etc, only the position and timing of each thermal will differ so that you can't find the same thermal in the same place by flying the task multiple times.

It was the last one which was used yesterday, and while each thermal will not be exactly the same on each server, the conditions should be similar so that it can't be claimed to be unfair. At least not any more unfair than people starting at different times getting different thermals.
I totally agree.
Random weather all server no problem.
Anyone can be anywhere at any time lucky. I hope you understand. :)
See You next race