[SBC2013] Beginners questions

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

Simicro

[SBC2013] Beginners questions

Post by Simicro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm

JOINING A COMPETITION???????????????????????????
Jon8869 wrote:What so i do have to do to join the bloody server and fly the competition???????????
cheeseman1112 wrote:I have the same problem :cry:
mabell wrote:Apologies...1st time

Is this where the server will be listed when time?

xxxhttp://www.soaringsim.com/serverlist.phpxxx

Thanks
Jon8869 wrote:Anyone got a simple guide as to how to log into the servers foir someone who hasn't flown any before ????????

Tons of details, no basics - useless!

Simicro

Re: [SBC2013] Beginners questions

Post by Simicro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi,

I'm one of the organizer of this competition.

Beginners are very welcome but let me be clear:

1. No need to yell or use words like "bloody servers"
2. No need to make multiple posts everywhere (the posts you have spreaded everywhere have been deleted and merged above)
3. No preparation, no effort of reading the tutorials and operational instructions is a bad idea and very few people (possibly nobody) will be inclined to help you
4. Tons of details and no basics? Fine. So you learn the 'how to' and ***you*** write a tutorial
5. This is not a five star hotel owing you services

So start by the beginning: learn to join a multiplayer session before wanting to join a competition multiplayer session. And read the instructions some people took time to write for people like you. As I said if you make an effort by yourself people will be more inclined to help you.

cheeseman1112

Post by cheeseman1112 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for the advice - I fly online for several months already but wasn't aware of a separate server page, sorry. I only looked at Condor Club and couldn't find the server there. Lessons learnt, merci!

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:33 pm

I don't know what you mean by "separate server page" but all our CondorSim.fr competition servers are visible on the usual page http://www.condorsoaring.com/serverlist.php

Maybe you expected them too soon. They are started at 20:30 Paris Time as highlighted in red in the rules http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... 26&t=14663

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 pm

For sure I did not like the way how some of you laid down the questions or requests, notheless I hear what you say and a quick idiot proof/ beginner set of instructions have been added to this tutorial http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... 26&t=14691

mabell

Post by mabell » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Sorry for the multiple posts from me. Some of the instructions said, "this forum" and then I finally saw one that said, "this topic" and I didn't know how to delete.

Thanks for the info. Even though I landed out, it was awesome.

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Ok mabell, glad you could finally join. Now you know how to join for the next race.

Jon8869

Re: [SBC2013] Beginners questions Simicro

Post by Jon8869 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Thank you, not everyone has played multiplayer before, knows where the servers are listed, how to download the help executable so clicking on the server page launches Condor etc. etc. etc.

If this had been thought through a little mote thoroughly then a simple 3-4 line idiot guide on the invitations / task briefings detailing the basic steps (the manual does not really cover all this either) would have avoided all this and I might even have been able to sort it all out BEFORE the start gate closed.

I realise that English is not your first language (although it is certainly a while lot better than my French) and this might be the cause of some of the mis communication but even allowing for that, this is a lot more complicated tahtn it needs to be.

JJJ

Re: [SBC2013] Beginners questions Simicro

Post by JJJ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Jon8869 wrote:Thank you, not everyone has played multiplayer before, knows where the servers are listed, how to download the help executable so clicking on the server page launches Condor etc. etc. etc.

If this had been thought through a little mote thoroughly then a simple 3-4 line idiot guide on the invitations / task briefings detailing the basic steps (the manual does not really cover all this either) would have avoided all this and I might even have been able to sort it all out BEFORE the start gate closed.

I realise that English is not your first language (although it is certainly a while lot better than my French) and this might be the cause of some of the mis communication but even allowing for that, this is a lot more complicated tahtn it needs to be.
If you still have any problems, just ask them here. We'll be all glad to help you.
The team around SBC is working hard for this to be happening each year again and they after all those years everything is getting better and better. Hopefully they will not stop organizing this.
The guide is working fine for almost everyone and I think you are one of the only who do not understand it. So if you want any further help, just state your question and we'll help you.

Regards
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks Jeroen !

We appreciate.
ImageImage

mabell

Post by mabell » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:43 am

So...is there a max time to finish? I saw a bunch of people log off, was wondering since I was coming in late, if you have to finish before a time period?

Thanks,

M

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:47 am

mabell wrote:So...is there a max time to finish? I saw a bunch of people log off, was wondering since I was coming in late, if you have to finish before a time period?

Thanks,

M
You have until 00:30 UTC which means that you have to upload the file before that time.
00:30 UTC --> 01:30 Brussel Time, if you are flying longer as that I think it might be possible to state it to the organizers and they will open the FTR upload zone for a couple of minutes for you, but I'm not sure 'bout that.

BR,
JJJ
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

John Comp

Post by John Comp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 am

Hi All, Really enjoyed the race last night, big thanks to the organisers.
Quick question though, I had trouble starting the task. I was well below 4500 feet but it wouldn't start me. Had top fly over the start point about 6 times before I started and was at about 2800 feet.
Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice welcomed :wink:

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 am

Hi John,
You have to verify this: start: min. height: 0 m., max.: 1,400 m
:wink:

arneh

Post by arneh » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:22 pm

John Comp wrote:Quick question though, I had trouble starting the task. I was well below 4500 feet but it wouldn't start me. Had top fly over the start point about 6 times before I started and was at about 2800 feet.
Are you sure the start gate was open yet? Look at the count down in the top right.
Also, is your altimeter set for height above airfield, or height above sea level?