[SBC2013] SkyBattle Cup 2013 - Main thread

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

RaiderOne

Re: [SBC2013] Day26 (this Thursday : 21/02/2013) is CANCELLE

Post by RaiderOne » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm

ybuqc wrote:...
The reason why the day has been cancelled is not because a pilot tried to hack the scoring, but it is because one of the pilot put a lot of pressure on the organization team. He even went as far as saying they (SBC team) manipulated the score for something that was even not linked to the SBC.

Long story short, SBC team put a lot of energy to justify themselves even if they didn't have to. But they wanted to be as transparent as possible.

This is the second "huge" event.
For the first one, when SBC team disqualified another pilot, a lot of bad comments were addressed to them. When the same pilot was disqualified from another Condor competition, none of those who made the wrong comments provide apologies. I won't even comment on the excuse provided: "a malicious virus modifying the ftr file!".
For the second one, the current one, it's linked to a scoring issue and to a specific behavior on the french forum.

People should at least try to organize one small competition to see ALL the work it required. Maybe then, they will appreciate all the background work done.

Just by looking at all the complaints regarding the tasks, I still don't understand where they take the energy to continue to offer such high quality service!

I unfortunately can't fly the SBC (timezone issue), but I still enjoy analyzing the traces from the top-pilot. It's a very nice theoretical tool for the winter ;)

Note that this is my personal interpretation only, I'm not linked in anyway to the SBC team.
SBC team can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's really time for the spring to come, more time in the glider, less to complain on the forum :D
Happy safe flying!
Yes you are perfectly right ybuqc !
I would'nt have done a better summary of the situation (I mean the situation about the current event. Highlighted in Bold Blue), especially in English !
The rest is your feeling ... but it is not so far from my feeling too ...

Thanks a lot, you save us a "bunch" of time ! :D :wink:
And thank you for your support.
ImageImage

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Why cant these people just fly & have fun like the other 99.99% of competitors.

Andrzej Czop

Post by Andrzej Czop » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Freebird wrote:Why cant these people just fly & have fun like the other 99.99% of competitors.
finaly i found briefing :D
and no server :/

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

This is a shame, but organisers please don't take it to heart. The vast majority of us just want to have fun and if the occasional BSOD or crash happens, well 'c'est la vie'. We do really appreciate the efforts you all go to.

I hope you have a rest and get your motivation back real soon.

terry1954

Post by terry1954 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Tony. 99.999% of us really do appreciate the time and effort the SBC team put into organising and running the competition.
Terry Foster

Comp No. TF1

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Definitely +1

Really much appreciated by many many of us - you just have to look at the number of competitors, the time they spent competing (especially us slower ones), the number of virtual kilometres flown (or is that kilometres virtually flown) and the obvious enjoyment of so many of us.

To the organisers that give their time and effort so generously many thanks, it is greatly appreciated by the vast majority of us who hope that you are able to find a way to continue and to provide us with this marvellous competition.

If you are not able to find a way to proceed then I am sure we will understand but there will be more than a little sadness.

Thanks and good luck.

Jon8869

Post by Jon8869 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:33 am

Dominique, I fully understand the teams position, you all put in a huge effort required to manage and administer a competition of this size and duration and maintaining motivation in the face of insulting innuendo must be impossible.

This is a "fun" competition in that there is nothing at stake except the joy of competing and (in my case), the opportunity to learn by "flying" with and studying the decision making of some exceptional pilots; it is deeply disappointing that this sad, sorry specimen and the equally despicable moron that was caught cheating choose to pollute the sport of gliding with their participation.

My message to you both, find a sport where being an asshole is acceptable as you are not wanted here!

Patrick Hoeve

Post by Patrick Hoeve » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:39 am

Team SBC,
You're doing a more than fine job! Don't let one dissonant voice demotivate you. I fully understand it takes time and energy...but remember you're keeping more than 200 people happy every night. That would count for something ;-)
Thanks Boys & Girls!
3A

UWE

Post by UWE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes, i think Patrick has the right perspective on things...
The SBC-Team spend a lot of time and work to a competition which brings to more than 200 People all over the world fun and interesting challenges - twice a week.
It is on the people to thank and motivate the SBC-team more than 2-3 Suckers could demotivate, or?

For me as an enthusiastic glider pilot is SpeedBattle a valuable Thing over the wintertime and i won´t miss it.
So I can not thank you enough for this event...

Benjy

Post by Benjy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 pm

We all know who was the first guy who got disqualification due to manipulated FRT files in Condor.
The SBC Team post that on the forum.

But we would like to know who is the second guy.
First of all. The race stopped temporary because of him.
Second thing is, we would like to know who is, if he goes on other race on Condor club he can do the same thing any time.

We need some serious punishments to prevent the manipulations (cheating) in Condor! This is because of the future of Condor.
In my opinion we have to ban these persons from Condor club.
Of course is too easy to come back under different name. But! If I would be a Condor software developer I would ban they Condor license, to prevent them to go online for a year for example.
And give them a chanse to fly offline for that time!

We all like the SBC races!
Last edited by Benjy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

RodNoc123

Post by RodNoc123 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Everything about the incident can be read on the forum of condorsim.fr. I won't name names, though, because the way I understand it, the competitor in question sounds a bit paranoid - a personality trait he could well be pitied for instead of hated.

Personally, I think it's a shame if hundreds of people have to renounce something they love because of a handful of [insert your favorite insult here].

On the other hand, I understand the reaction of the SBC-team, because I've been working for free for my soaring club for a decade or so as well - it's very demotivating if you pour that much time and effort into something for free and someone feels he has the liberty to make demands as if he was a paying customer.

In our gliding club, people who demonstrate such an attitude strongly enough are seen as unwanted members and their character is soon questioned in terms of being a safe pilot. In some cases, people had to leave our club.

I won't say whether or not people that make paranoid accusations should be banned from the competition or not. But I hope that the SBC team finds its motivation again by recognizing that hundreds of people enjoy what they do and are grateful enough to overlook the small issues and that people making absurd allegations should not get that much attention from them.

As for cheaters: I'd say, ban them from the current and next SBC - competition and throw them out of condor-club if they try their little tricks a second time.

Dear SBC-team: the vast majority is very grateful for what you do and enjoys the competition greatly. It would be a great loss if a couple of bad apples would demotivate you from continuing what you do.

Either way, thanks a lot, you've given me hours and hours of winter pleasure already! :D

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi all,

Indeed SBC Team is not a "machine" but humans :wink:

On behalf of the whole SBC Team, thank you very much for your kind messages.

CNorbee

Post by CNorbee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:28 pm

This is THE BEST CHAMPIONSHIP, thanks to the organizers!
Come on Guys :!: :)

j.theswede

Post by j.theswede » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Every thursday I cancel work for flying this great comp. (I work evenings)
I loose about 1000eur each season because of SBC.

AND IT IS WORTH EVERY CENT!

Great Fun Flying with all of you!

Jim TheSwede Team IKEA
When I dont fly online I fly ASW22!
(and now EB28..... )

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:14 pm

j.theswede wrote:Every thursday I cancel work for flying this great comp. (I work evenings)
I loose about 1000eur each season because of SBC.

AND IT IS WORTH EVERY CENT!

Great Fun Flying with all of you!

Jim TheSwede Team IKEA
WOW !! :o :shock: :o

... Jim , we are very impressed of such an involvement of your side !!!

That's really great to hear that !
ImageImage