[Dragonfly Provence Tour] Competition days

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

goshawk

Re: [Dragonfly Provence Tour] Competition days

Post by goshawk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:15 pm

I am sorry from the race organizers and tasksetters but I have to say that there are big
problems if a competition sounds about how many pilot can notice how to "cheat" the rules.

Numbers speaks more than I can about how "dirty rules" working.
Less than 25 from the near 120 pilots started over 2200m.
So 20% of the pilots can understand the competition rules and the tasksetting.
Only 20% had a real chance to fight on day2.

I think this was not about flying skills.... this was about notice the "Bug in the Features". :D :D :D

By the way....thanks for your big work to organize this competition - I know how much work is this.

Best regards

John Verschoor

Post by John Verschoor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:39 pm

A big thumbs up to the organizers/tasksetters!
I like to fly tasks that are a bit different, i hope to see more tasks like this. (flying into a sunset like a poor lonesome cowboy...:))
I did notice the low penalty per minute and no penalty for entrance, so i started at about 4000m. If i had not noticed this in the notam, i would not have dared to enter the zone. The lesson is, read the notam, just like in real life.

Thanks to the pilots in server A for beeing cooperative in finding the turnpoints:)

Greetings,

John 76

robyfly

Post by robyfly » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 pm

TimKuijpers wrote:..

When the rules say the penalty for entering the penalty zone is none, there is no penalty on doing that.
Wether it is nice to implent such a rule, and not mention it specific is a different thing.
But the rules are there, they just weren't clear.

So I think the ones that entered the penalty zone were very smart, but it isn't much fun if you don't know about it.
Maybe next time the penalty points are only 1 per minute.. then it gets interesting.. it can still pay off to take the penalty and start high.
If that happens, would you still consider it as a 'trick' ? or just as reading the rules very well, and thinking about the possibilities it brings :wink:
I agree, the matter for yesterday task, was only that we didn't notice it because we assumed instantly that goal of
the penalty zone was to have a limit start altitude, being a no PDA task..
so the 7 pilots of my team noone paid attention to it..

ok, it's not a tragedy and sure, now we know for the next... :wink:
ImageImage

Floris

Post by Floris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 pm

I was also kind of confused at first when i saw the penalty-zone, but when I noticed it was only 10 points per minute I figured out it would be way better to start 2000 meters higher than having to climb towards the first (high) TP.

Without a PDA it was kind of hard to find all the TP's, I immediately flew to the wrong mountain at first, and TP3 on the NW-side of Mt. Blanc was also very hard to find. As I saw no good ridges further down the track after TP3, I decided to make a 100km final glide towards the finish with autopilot on, so I could do some work :wink: . Afterwards it would have been better to stay lower to make some extra speed via the lower ridges, as there were no more thermals.

Quite a nice task, next week will be a flatland start, so perhaps some different weather conditions.

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Yes, no penalty for entrance was a forgetting. Be sure i will not repeat this error next time, and penalty points will be more than 10 pts/mn. :P :wink:

In the same time, i thought, after the start, when i saw i have forgotten it, that to find the TPs will be a little bit hard, and those who had an advance because of that, should loose it in searching it 8)

So, as you say, it's not a tragedy for a little comp. only made to have fun with friends and not usual tasks (for old fashioned boring tasks, please ring at another door :mrgreen: ) before serious winter competitions 8)

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:14 pm

I can see both sides of the argument, but we don't know what the tasksetter really wanted.

Did she / he deliberately set a PZ with only 10 pts/min to see who would bother to read the briefing properly ? (Wish I had 1 euro for every time someone asks max start or regatta ? :lol: ) BTW the printout you get always seems to show 0 points for PZ, even when it is set to max, so beware.

It's not real life, we are flying Condor and an additional 2000m plus start height is worth a couple of penalty points. Bladderbusters and Old Farts all decided to start at over 4000m, but it made no difference. those that didn't land out 1.4km from finish got lost :lol:

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:13 am

Annie: little comp. only made to have fun with friends and not usual tasks (for old fashioned boring tasks, please ring at another door ) before serious winter competitions

Nice spoken...

BTW: I hope during serious winter competitions there will be serious tasks only, won't be?... :)
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:57 am

Proverb of the day : Beware of what you wish, because it may happen :mrgreen:
:arrow:

soenke

Post by soenke » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 pm

For my taste was the last task a little bit dirty.
Normal Condorpilots think ist not OK to fly into the penaltyzone and start over 2200.

But when i read the topics is it desired to fly into it, because u a few penaltypoints but much more speed.

Its a littlebit like doping for Condor. Its not OK but u have no change to win the race when u don`t do it.

By the way.
A great tip for the next race.

Water is not allowed, but CHEESE.

Cu u soon

Andrzej Czop

Post by Andrzej Czop » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:07 pm

As unnormal condorpilot I compared results at first task when PIT will be finished task with 30-th positon (not finished after computer crash) - then we would be in the first place rather than fifth. Dirty rules? I said NO.

At second task much more than 20% dirty pilots discovered that it is payable to start from the penaltyzone but not criminally prohibited.
Even if we took off from a height of 2200m - would add an additional 5 minutes. In this case, also have won this task.
So please don't talk about dirty competition, no claim but flight and fight :wink:.

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Well, well well Looks like I am unlucky pilot at this competition... Now I have big problem... :/ I finished day3 but can;t leave Condor now.
Esc is not working. :shock: So can't close Condor and get ftr!

Any hint or ideas what can i do now?

PS
As I configured input in Condor's settings just before flight, maybe esc. - by accident - is not default close program key anymore...
How can i fix it right now (proper close Condor to get ftr?). Maybe devs can help? :) If reading... ;)
Last edited by Pit_R on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

to send me a PM.

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Try pulling the internet connection :wink:
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I already kicked myself from server by writing f'''k twice. Not helped. C. is running, just offline.

to send me a PM.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 pm

only thing u can do is hope condor stored it as your last track as you finished the race..... other than that you may have the results file already written in race results folder, only two things i can suggest.

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:54 pm

result is written in Race 160353576 on 2011.10.05.csv but no ftr (lasttrack as well) before proper closing Condor...

to send me a PM.