[SBC2010] Competition days

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

thermal

[SBC2010] Competition days

Post by thermal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:52 pm

I wish to congratulate the SBC2010 team with the first successfull competition day.
Even when both the Condor Server list and Hitzi's alternative Server list were down, they still managed to get 270 pilots into the air.

Applause, awesome job :!:
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Serginho

Re: [Sky Battle Cup 2010] General discussions

Post by Serginho » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:00 am

n.volov wrote:Anyway this first task was really fun, fast and dangerous...
From my experience, i can agree with the fun and dangerous... but fast... :roll: :lol:
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Critical Remarks to the Task of Day 1

Maybe that this task was exciting and funny but was it realistic?
The critical point was the cloudbase relative to mountain height.
If you want to be fast, you must take a great crash risk. If you fly
safe, you have no chance for win. If in reality pilots fly this task
in the manner as it was done in Condor, they would eliminate themselves,
earlier or later they make a crash and died.

If the competition management wants to educate pilots to fly safe and
introduce penalty points for crashing they should make tasks, which
are not invitations to take crash risk. For the task of day 1 this
means a higher cloudbase.

In review I woukd say, the best tactic for this day was, to stay at
ground and look how the bold (and foolish) pilots crash and collect
penalty points.

Fox9

PhilippeFP

[SBC2010] Day01 - Debriefing2

Post by PhilippeFP » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Fox9 !
I did not understand all your comments with the details. But I am very interested to try to do better.

PLease, could you send me your list of FPL on Condor Club? I just saw that you had no flights recorded in 2010, and 6 flights in 2009.
Moreover, I have not seen your result in the day 1 ...?

Just so I understand better and for inspiration :)

Love2Fly

Post by Love2Fly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

Simicro wrote: We do not expect applause and praise from everybody and it is OK to raise criticism and suggestions but at least let's be civilised and polite.
Yeh! let's all drink a cup of tea!

I'm really excited in thursdays race! i never experienced a race like LLC or other SBC's, but I think it is really, really, REALLY AWESOME! 8)

Hopefully, the server lists ánd this forum will be online as it should be!
Last sunday, it was a bit of a search to find the servers somewhere!

Keep up the good work in organizin'! 8)
Frank Hiemstra - Dutch Gliding Team & GliderTracking.com

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks a lot Frank ... we do appreciate your support and
we are happy to see your interest in Condor Competition of such type~format ! :)
ImageImage

Thunderjet

Post by Thunderjet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:49 pm

I think that it is necessary mantain a fair play in avery discussion
Ok fly safe but this is not RL so to keep risk is embedded in play... and to have 0 point in a VL competition due to crash can make difference at the end of the game.
I don't have any complain for first race, just one small thing... we have lost a lot of time discussing about visual range to stay more clos is possible to RL and then with more then 10 Knot wind strengh the task setter put all the TP in downwind side of the valley.. this is clearly not close to RL... so i suggest to TS to thingwith more attention for the next race...:)

anyway tank you for your job
Is better stay on ground and dream to fly than stay on fly and dream to stay on ground

Post by 66 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm

MoWa wrote:we now fully understand one of the reasons why Stefke and Andreas stopped SBC.
...after the first day?

Don't be serious! Not all of the ~670 pilots have problems about rules! Everybody (the guy in the prison too) should do your work as you decided before we flown the first day! If you changed the "global" crash rule that must be enough!
Everybod knows the rules before registered!

Any other problems/suggestion should take an effect on SBC 2011!
Why can't i read these kind of posts from the fanatic cometitors of the Condor World?
How many pilot had the 10point penalty for mid air? -so its seems working too.

Changing the rules during a comp - if it takes an efect on overalls -that should be the reason why pilots loose their motivation!

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:37 pm

we now fully understand one of the reasons why Stefke and Andreas stopped SBC.
Simicro was talking about SpeedBattle Cup, not Sky Battle Cup 8)

Post by 66 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:47 pm

LEAN wrote:Simicro was talking about SpeedBattle Cup, not Sky Battle Cup 8)
Yes, i know! Just sad to hear something like this afer the first day, there is not a real problem in rules or anything around SBC!(Your Comp ;)

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

I accept rules as they are, its the same for everyone. The only comment I would make about day 1 is the weather, I got trapped in the mountains by cloud after running a ridge quite close to incoming cloud when the cloud ahead of me suddenly doubled its size blocking my route. I was trapped in a gulley with cloud moving in & had to use landing flap to hop over the back of the ridge to the ridge behind where I sat in weak lift waiting for more cloud to clear. My result was poor by my standards but then thats not a problem as not all flights will be counted but with a wide range of skill levels it could be dangerous in the mountains at times. Not a complaint but I think cloudbase & task routes need to be a little bit safer in future, looking forward to the next one now :)

n.volov

Post by n.volov » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:01 pm

last minute info: refly of day 1 on FR11 tonight at 21h05 CET

Post by 66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:40 pm

My question / suggestion:

The time, when the start line opened is different on servers, depend on the number of players(towing) and the time between the end of the join time and when everybody entered to the game. The time window is long enough and those five/ten minutes diference between servers on a good task didn't take a big effect on results. But if we are talking about the same conditions for everybody...

All servers starts in the same time(?) so we have the same time on the clock on the panel. With the briefing and a repeted DSH message all of the pilots could have the same time for line opening(what was decided by the tasksetter)! -and separate from what condor generate.
With this option in a server with a few palyer you need to wait more for start... i can't find other disadvantage, and its nothing when we are talking about fairplay.

I think it's not a big problem to add a "starttime"(an if it needed a "startclose") option as a simple filter to CC (or Compan), it isn't change the main things.

Of course... it is just an idea, maybe not a good one.

Charon

Post by Charon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Freebird wrote:I think cloudbase & task routes need to be a little bit safer in future
Hi :)
I doesn't think such troubles could be predicted by tasksetter, it's one of elements of fortune ;) In this task I was twice closed on my way by speedy moving clouds, when guys ahead of me had time to pass. But I doesn't see any problems with weather from side of safety, also as placing TP on leeward side of hills. Simply pilots should consider such difficulties and undertake respective measures. It's element of game :) I enjoyed by flying this task and waiting for next with impatience!

Sorry for english
See you all today evening ;)
Best regards!
Dmitriy Balykin
Best Regards,
Dmitriy Balykin aka BAD

JJJ

[SBC2010] Day02 - Debriefing

Post by JJJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Please guys, if you make tasks and you want to make it a bit realistic don't send us to the mountains with a cloudbase of 1900m while mountains are +2300m ... This task was really one of the most dangerous I ever flew, I nearly crashed 5times.. got luck I could land on top of a hill..

Anyway congrats to the winner he must have got great skills to do this!

Regards JJ
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage