[SBC2010] Competition days

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

RaiderOne

Re: [SBC2010] Day04 - Debriefing

Post by RaiderOne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Serginho wrote:I hope the tasksetter has got a life sentence in jail! Because if he gets released and i find him, im going to hang him by his (censored) and will tow him full power in a Turbo Cmelak!!!!!!
:o :shock: :D

AAH ... he really did appreciate the proposal ... for sure ! :o :D :lol:

8) :wink:
ImageImage

snip

Post by snip » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Fox9 wrote:I can climb up to about 1750 m and risk to fly over the mountain. I suppose, that
it was a 60:40 chance. I succeed and that's the reason for my good ranking,
luck and luck again. In RL it is stupid to take such risk.
For us it was not luck: We were able to climb up to 1700m thanks to a cloud near the ridge. Then worked a lot to climb up to 2100m thanks to ridge & small wind. So risk was limited and crossing mountain starting at this high was easy.
So if you want to take risks this is your problem!

Serginho

Post by Serginho » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm

RaiderOne wrote:
Serginho wrote:I hope the tasksetter has got a life sentence in jail! Because if he gets released and i find him, im going to hang him by his (censored) and will tow him full power in a Turbo Cmelak!!!!!!
:o :shock: :D

AAH ... he really did appreciate the proposal ... for sure ! :o :D :lol:

8) :wink:

Well, unless the tasksetter looks like this:

Im sure no one would be complaining! :mrgreen:
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

S.Berx

Post by S.Berx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:01 pm

tbh then yu were lucky, cuz 80-90% of the participants didnt get that cloud near the ridge or when they got one didnt have a workin ridgepart, like myself, missing crossing the mountains by 20m (that sucked). :cry:
Me personally I didnt like the task "as a racing task", the rewarding feeling of gettin round at the end is a nice pluspoint tho, but then its more about survival then racing task in my eyes. Luck/chance was timewise a factor yesterday, no gettin around it, wrong cloud at the wrong time/place meant alot of detour. But gettin round did require carefull and well thought planning.
So personally i didnt like the task ( at all tbh, lackin luck and flying openclass :lol: ) and doubt it would be set irl with those meteo conditions. But it was far from an impossible task. You cant plz everyone everytime, just not to many of these pls :D
For the rest i'd say relax, fly high and fast, and keep up the work, this kind of comp indeed has been missing for some time now. 8)

gz. S1

P.s. RaiderOne: results matching real life doesnt mean the experience matched it aswell.
ImageImage

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm

S.Berx wrote:... and doubt it would be set irl with those meteo conditions...
And what about wrong weather forecast irl? Couple of times i've participated in the RL tasks where there were 100% outlandings. During one of these tasks i've established personal speed record - it took ~4.5 hours to fly 104 km (on Jantar Standard). It was fighting against the weather but it was competition. So let's assume that in this case our meteorologist made small mistake and as a result we've got this task. Exactly like it happens irl from time to time.

S.Berx

Post by S.Berx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Jah k, ive outlanded with the whole comp field aswell irl, or get the task that shouldve been great for the meteo of day 2 on day1 and then day 2 get the task that wouldve been perfect the day before.
And did over 4h in an ls4 over 99km in the blue in early year weak thermals or was doing 110km/h avg and finished with bearly 60km/h over 300km since the weather completly changed. But thats it, rl the meteo is a variable, changeble the whole day so no certainty. But this is condor, the weather is set before.
Im not saying it would never be set irl. I said I doubt it, since the low cloudbase and the light breeze meant crossing those mountains would involve alot of risks. And then again thats only my opinion, so far from a fact :)
I was not breaking down the comp nor the tasksetter, just gave my fair opinion about the task itself.
Was just my luck to get this one for the first one i flew of the cup :lol:
Last edited by S.Berx on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Raider One wrote:
Fox9 we are upset by your regular moaning ... if you don't like the competition, the tasks or whatever ... go away
Is this your way to handle criticism? I know, that tasksettings is a
difficult job. My hope was, that my remarks would help you to improve
Skybattle. But you are right, there are other competions and maybe
this is not the right place for critical discussions.

So good luck and good bye.

Fox9

Serginho

Post by Serginho » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Tima (TSD) wrote:...so let's assume that in this case our meteorologist made small mistake and as a result we've got this task.
Weather briefing - Day 4:
http://www.spike.com/video/weather-lady-cant/2772533
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Well - imho RaiderOne's answer is simply rude! :/ K'mon - try to be nicer - Fox9 have his rights for sure.
That not means this task was pure crap. I like it even I outland.
Two last tasks in SBC10 was really interesting imho.

BTW: Finishing this task (and others) is not a must! Also flying thru High Tatra wasn't.
NX did it around and is 8th with almost 950 pts, TK did the same and is 3rd (975 pts)!
It is game about flying - not for fast winning races only.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 pm

MoWa wrote:And the ones who took the big risk crossing the mountains won. :) The task was made so that risk taking would be awarded :)
Not really. 2nd and 3rd place (me) didnt cross the mountains, but went back around it. I didnt think it would be possible to find ridge lift with 8km/h wind.
But condor ridge model is not correct, so it somehow worked out for the winner. I still think going back around was the correct choice and only luck (or previous experience on that ridge at that wind speed) would get you over the mountains directly.

However, I do not like the correlation between the weather and the tasks. The correlation does not make sense, such task wouldnt be called in RL, because it would be too dangerous.
If you want to recreate LLC spirit, you should make weather first, then make a task that makes sense. This is how RL tasksetting works. Sure, in Condor we can get away from dangers of RL, but it would be nice that most of the time, the task would make sense (and so far, every task was extremely difficult in difficult weather over difficult terrain). Sorry for the rant. Otherwise you're doing a great job and condor-club site is fantastic.

Cheers!

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Fox9 wrote:Although I finished first on Server "I" I am not happy with this kind of
tasks. After TP2 I found a cloud in right time and right location. I can
climb up to about 1750 m and risk to fly over the mountain. I suppose, that
it was a 60:40 chance. I succeed and that's the reason for my good ranking,
luck and luck again. In RL it is stupid to take such risk.

Do we want that results are based upon luck and crash risk? If so we use
or may I say abuse Condor as Adventure Game and not as simulator. In RL
mountains are used as support (ridge lift, better thermals) and not as obstacles.

Fox9
Didnt see your post before my reply above. I 100% agree ! Please reconsider what tasks you make. Difficult task is not the same as bad task.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:36 pm

RaiderOne, I also think your answer is too rude. I know its a bitch to organize everything, spend your free time and money for others people satisfaction. And then they complain, how dare they ?!
We all appreciate the work that is being done for SBC2010.

Just please, please reconsider the way the tasks are set in regard to the weather. It does not make sense to send open class gliders into high mountains in marginal weather. I didnt mind the task, because I like hard conditions, but this is not the only task. All last 3 tasks involved crossing ridges in marginal weather. Ridges are used to provide help in such weather and not obstacles.

I'm not moaning, I just try to offer some advice/positive criticism.

Ard

Post by Ard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Task was nice. But please cloudbase should have been higher;)

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:33 pm

third task I think its to dangerous pro tasksetter fo sure! getting over tatra mountains when cloudbase is 1400m is just, stupid and dumb ;)

Regards
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

Love2Fly

Post by Love2Fly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:40 pm

JJJ wrote:getting over tatra mountains when cloudbase is 1400m is just, stupid and dumb ;)
That's why you had to fly around it.... :wink:
Frank Hiemstra - Dutch Gliding Team & GliderTracking.com