SBC 08-09

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:16 am

This was all discussed during SBC07, in RL you have a much bigger screen so don't need icons. I don't mind having them turned off but some could say I then have an advantage because I have a fairly large screen (enormous compared to someone on a laptop) In RL the screen size doesn't vary unless you take off with the wrong glasses on :D
Last edited by Freebird on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 am

Jono wrote:
Tima (TSD) wrote:
Jono wrote:I agree with Sean, or even better, no icons at all.
Good luck. But without me. I don't want to fly absolutely unrealistic tasks where other gliders are not visible on the distance more then 0.5 km.
ROFL, erm wake up! In reality there are no icons!! :?
I'm talking not about icons themselves but about visibility distance of other gliders. For me doesn't matter whether it is something of glider shape or it is letters and digits. In any case to be realistic visibility of planes should be not less then 5 km. If technology doesn't allow this without icons then icons should be used. It is more realistic then loosing other planes from the view when they are more than 500 meters away.

UWE

Post by UWE » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:43 pm

.... never change a running system ....

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 pm

UWE wrote:.... never change a running system ....
My thoughts exactly.

Tuatara

Post by Tuatara » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Perhaps another idea for Condor V2 (or an upcoming patch?) would be the option for more subtle icons - ones that are smaller/fainter or simply fade in to the background more with distance.

That should at least get around the hardware limitations of monitors not replicating RL, but also removing the beacon-like bright blue icons.
...The Flying Kiwi...

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Here's one UWE & TK proposal supporter; why to start to fix something which is not broken :wink:

JKK

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Leave it as it is, Or is it just that some of you get upset and make mistakes if someone is pushing you. Some of the top pilots have a following if you know what i mean :lol: But other pilots get really upset if some one follows them into a therm so they push on to the next and invariably make a mistake doing it. I love playing that game, Makes for a lot of fun when you fly over their head a few k on. :lol: :lol:
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:03 am

Good lookout is difficult with a 2D screen, there's no peripheral vision, and it's cumbersome to align properly to fly directly under a Cu sometimes....especially when directly overhead. I say keep the external views, we need the help!

Those of us who fly in "far away lands" (USA, Canada, Latin America, Australia) often find ourselves flying alone or with only a couple of other pilots. We don't have the benefit of having "thermal markers" along the course by simply starting 30mins after the gaggle. Each flight we make is an individual effort - man against conditions. Removing icons makes it harder for this advantage to be exploited by those who fly on the busy servers.

My PC is quite good - if a glider is circling I can usually see them about 10km out; well before icons are visible. This is maybe a little less than in RL, but ok.

Overall I think SBC08 was a good robust system - maybe a little fine tuning only.

Cheers

H9

Yeff

Other gliders and icons.

Post by Yeff » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi all,

I noticed in my See You desktop program that the gliders are oversized when in 3d replay. This makes it easier when evaluating igc files.

I would rather have the gliders oversized at a distance instead of text data boxes. This may help the small screen 2d restrictions and fake a bit of RL.

Or if the glider icons stay the same size, perhaps a flash or glint of the wings would be enough to add a real touch to others flying the task.

This is probably a Condor programing request rather than a SBC request, however worth discussing here.

For Paul Remde's See You 3D video training, see link

http://www.vimeo.com/629177
J.Banks
JY
ALPNGLW