Day 41

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I was bombing along great, had a couple of good climbs and was one of the first to turn tp1. Then got under a nice cloud after tp1 but after 300m height gain I decided I didnt like the bumpy lift and headed for the next cloud... which died about 30sec before I came under it. So there was no way to cross the ridges leading to tp2. I had to backtrack, loosing 700m in process. Dumped all my water and then found 3.5m/s climb. Wanted to push but I couldn't, as my wing loading was now low, so I pushed as much as I dared and got a bit lucky, as every next cloud gave me at least 3m/s climb. Even the last cloud before reacinh FG altitude was working just until when I levelled out to FG. So there was some luck after being unlucky.

I would really love the autopilot to hold its position on these long glides and not turn in one direction :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Another challenging task :) Very quickly I found out that getting below the mountain tops was not a good idea so after that set the MC setting low so I could cover plenty of ground between thermals. Approaching TP2 it looked as if the thermals had ended & I was at MC0 hoping I could just get enough help off the ridge on the last leg to make it home then a cloud started growing infront of me :) that produced the best thermal of the day at 3.6ms average & was still there after my visit to TP2, beyond it was another cloud which gave 3ms average & set me up for a reasonably fast final glide.... it also proved that nature has not got it in for all ugly people :D

After landing I had far too many drinks staggered out of the bar into the night air & saw RCB crossing the finish.... or maybe I just had too much to drink :D

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:48 pm

You must have had your night vision goggles on, And where was my drink. :lol:
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Ohh Nice task but it ended in a bad day for me

I started early and ended as 3th :) '' from outlanders '' I didn't find smth after my second thermal 1.2 I flew trough the valley to all die clouds and then I turned back and landed safe :)

reg j1
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage