Day 40

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

bagger

Day 40

Post by bagger » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:09 am

Hi,

very, very good task. It was nice to race in this kinde of weather.

SBC Team, it was almost perfekt :wink:
Pozdrawiam, Jarek

Dani

Post by Dani » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:55 am

It was my first participation of SBC and of course I couldn't finish like many others.

Question: Did you also drop the water during the race or did you keep it? What was exactly the trick behind: Where were the termals? I found them ineffective below 1000 ft and only small developing clouds had some lift.

Maybe I should also buy plane pack 1. Is there a big difference between LS8 and Ventus 2cx?

Thanks,
Dani

CN: DAW

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:55 am

Good task, thx Stefand & Andreas!

I felt comfortable with the conditions yesterday, tried to start soon (after I saw the outlanding rate on the result list), took every cloud up to base, and flew with a reduced MacCready setting to stay high (mc 0.8-1.2, 1.0 final glide), luckily had always ~1.6-1.9 m/s, last and weakest thermal was 1,2 :wink:

Yes, at higher speeds is really a big difference between flapped and non flapped gliders..but up to 150.160kmh it is not so much. Circling with full water and "normal" thermals is also easier with a Ventus with its flaps. I flew with full water all the time, usually as long you are able to climb at least 1.5m/s it is an advantage.

Martin
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:16 am

Hi,
I did'nt like it, i've hated it :twisted:
No chance at TP3, too low, too late, i couldn't catch a thermal ...
but i say nothing 8)
Oh ? i said it ? sorry :lol:

More seriously, there is always somethings to learn in SBC races.
And the most important is : when you can make nothing else but outland, it's not the end of the World :lol:

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:38 pm

I loved yesterday's race too.
Hard to get up before start.
Surprised to find 2x 2m/s on leg 1.
And after that a long glide to tp2.
Where I couldn't get up.
After a good search I got up with 1.3-1.6
After that the trouble began, gliding over the hills and finding the nearest cloud almost dead.
Heading on for the next, dead, next one.. dead.
No options on track from there, so I had to chose left or right of track (90+ degrees)
This descission kept me alive, but as I was on the lee-side and the cloud died early, I didn't gain anything from my previous position.
But this time there was a new cloud forming close to tp3.
I could fight myself back up, varying from 0.4 to 1.4...
After that I knew that there was no chance on winning, as S1 who started way behind allready above me, and most of the gaggle that used to be below me were now far ahead or higher.
But more and more landed out, and after tp3 we had 2 more good thermals.
But then I couldn't get up anymore, running down to only 1 more option on the last leg.
One of the fresh clouds, but it was hard to get up, but as it was the last chance Most of us (low) struggled, while 200m higher the thermal was 1.4ish again.

Although I flew MC1.0 and lower, I still got in trouble because all clouds ahead died at the same moment.
Those mountains didn't make the descissions any easier.
But after losing 15 minutes on nr 1, 900p are a good reward.
Great task, a lot like RL, unpredictable as can be :)
Think positive, flaps negative.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Great task, day 40. Need more of this kind.

I outlanded just after TP3, exclusively my fault, made few wrong decisions, plus a little gambling ... but still, great task.

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Excellent task, only had one 2m/s+ climb on the first leg where most seemed to get two. 2nd leg clouds produced nothing usable & I while there were plenty of thermals around TP2 climb rates were awful so a lot of time was wasted there finding something worthwhile. I crossed the hills towards a new cloud which produced nothing & my 2nd choice cloud died so finding stronger ridge thermals in that area didn't happen as expected, my next climb came by flying about 5km 90deg to track to a new cloud. From TP3 I had an MC 0 final glide but pushed on & took a climb for FG just after the last turn point. Kept full water all the way & never thought I was going to land out although around TP2 I was starting to get a bit low.

I love these challenging tasks & as a bonus we had a very beautiful scenery in which to fly.

In RL you get a much better idea of thermal strength from the 'look' of a cloud, in Condor a really nice cloud in these conditions can (often does) produce very little so it can be a bit misleading... maybe something that V2 can address.

thermal

Post by thermal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Yes, very nice, real life sweaty type of task.
Got several 2+ m/s thermals before the start, but because of a required parental intervention just outside my cockpit :roll: , I missed the connection to the rest of the Dutch team. No tactics involved here guys.
I only saw them again twice, leaving thermals 1000 meters above me the moment I arrived there.
After TP2 I was practically on my own, and only saw "WW" who marked a half descent thermal.

As we know by now, Slovakia with weak thermals calls for carefull gliding and to keeping an eagle's eye out for fresh new clouds.
On this task I was lucky enough to see some fresh clouds pop up ~on track, where others only saw them evaporate.
I thankfully used them all, staying as high as possible.

By now it was 16:30 and just when I thought I was way behind and far too slow, I heard the rest of the Dutch team practise a massive land-out in the back yard of that bar near TP3. :shock:
For a moment I looked at my airbrake handle, but then realized that I only needed ~300 meters to reach the glide path to the finish.

Most clouds were die-ing now and getting those 300 meters required some hard labour after TP4, the only time I really got low.
Unfortunately, I lost WW there.
A 30 km final glide on MC 1.0 ended in front of the bar of the airflield.
I noticed, that most trailers had gone.... :?

Prosit to the winner!
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:28 pm

UrosM wrote:Great task, day 40. Need more of this kind.

I outlanded just after TP3, exclusively my fault, made few wrong decisions, plus a little gambling ... but still, great task.
Exactly the same for me... :D I just had a little more luck that the terrain was getting lower and I got a little further than you... :lol: Nice task, btw.

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP