Impressions Day 39

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Congrats J1 and KL, impressive flight with a record speed of all task I think!

I real life waves are never boring :P 7 years ago I was able to use the same
wave in a SZD55 and climbed in the lee of the mighty Triglav up to 3800m -
not easy to get the 5000m in real life, too 8)

I can tell you - to fly directly into the shadow of this big mountain with full
negative vario tone searching for the lift is one of the more exciting things
you can do in a glider :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 pm

and once more.. it was not "blue" :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

fabiogarros

Bad Impressions!!!!!!

Post by fabiogarros » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:46 pm

My patience has run out with this last race!

Unfortunately this is a league with stupid rules! Rules without regard!

Unfortunately I have the feeling that my lost time with the races of the SBC!

120 minutes from start gate!
Without limits of time to start!

These practices leave the evidence set to a competition in inequality, unfair, stupid!

But do not worry because we do not want to be part of this championship!

Please erase my name site ranking! I do not want to make more part of it!

Patrick Hoeve

Post by Patrick Hoeve » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:10 am

Call me an old geezer, but this race reminded me of some of the best races in the Low Lands Cup. Back in the day when Steven Low set some tasks.....

Off course I knew I was lost when I crossed the start line at 3100 m. I knew there were some guys who would catch some freaky wave up to 5000 m. But I had a blast.... With my current ranking I also knew that a place in the top 10 will be hard, so..I just want to have fun, and if I feel good try to win in my server.

I liked it SBC-team. Thanks....
3A

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 am

Nice photo's :)

For the first time ever I needed a password for a different timezone & couldn't get one so didn't fly this task :( but in RL I have flown a wave only task in a comp, a warm front was approaching there was no thermal activity but wave was likely so a Condor style task was set with one TP & the finish line at another airfield about 70km from the start. With no thermals the start line was opened as soon as the first glider released from tow & start times were taken as release time. That was long before GPS & PDA's so navigation was by map & compass above cloud :) Had GPS been around we would have had a contest day but arriving over the TP I found as did everyone else that it was covered by cloud... so we all enjoyed a nice wave flight until the bad weather arrived.

Not the best of photo's (before digi cams so had to be scanned) but taken at about 3500m. This wave was made by the 'small' mountains of Wales :)

Stefke

Post by Stefke » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:58 am

n.volov wrote:Maybe the point of view of SBC team could be intersting...
Mmh, what shall I say.
The unlimited starthigh was a mistake, I´m sorry for that.
It seems, that some like the task some not.

--------------------------------------------------------------
fabiogarros wrote:My patience has run out with this last race!

Unfortunately this is a league with stupid rules! Rules without regard!

Unfortunately I have the feeling that my lost time with the races of the SBC!

120 minutes from start gate!
Without limits of time to start!

These practices leave the evidence set to a competition in inequality, unfair, stupid!

But do not worry because we do not want to be part of this championship!

Please erase my name site ranking! I do not want to make more part of it!

What me really makes very sad is the post of Fabio :cry: We spend all the time for the SB /SBC stuff, that people have fun.
Has not worked well - a pity.

Sorry.

thermal

Post by thermal » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 am

Stefke wrote: What me really makes very sad ...
Yeh, I can imagine how you feel.
But look at it this way:

Fabio is not interested in soaring at all.
The only thing he is concerned about is his points, his place on the ranking and his status.
During the competition he complained, first about Condor freezing and being no good, then blamed his computer, and now the rules are stupid, unfair, and designed for keeping him from winning the contest. :shock:

I would say... let him be.

Rest assured that the other competitors appreciate very much what you guys are doing.
Thank you very much. :!:
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:09 am

Oh, 5km start height was mistake :?:

I tought it was set so on purpose with the hint to everybody in task briefing about possible existence of waves. Every pilot had +2h to look for it, good & patience pilots found it and others didn't. I think it was fair enough, in most cases the one to blame is in the mirror...

Like I didn't have the patience to search it and possibly turn 40-60min in 0,8m/s avg, but that is my problem, not the task setters :D

I liked this task a lot and it's a pity that only negative comments come to publicity, but that's so normal in RL as well :(

I have learned much more about virtual soaring & competing tactics during these 4 SBC08 online competition months than what I have learned in offline since buying Condor in 2005 spring.

:!: So, here are my very big thanks to SB/SBC Team: Keep on the good work :!:

JKK

kaleu

Post by kaleu » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:13 am

Don't worry Stefan...I didn't like this task too much as well but it was my free choice to start at 5000m! and as Tim said, it was the fairest task of all, absolutely static lift, no varying thermal strength and positions. Of course a few hundred hours of Condor wave experience were a big advantage here but getting a high score was still challenging.
But you know I complain about every task :lol: and as tasksetter I know that there are just some unlucky moments while tasksetting...had to notice that all too often myself :wink: .
So try to continue as good as possible and you'll still make ~150(-1) people happy 2x/week :) .

UWE

Post by UWE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:24 am

Yes, Willem - you are completly right.

First we fly for fun, not for points. :!: (and when we are good is ok :lol: )
The Day was exceptional and for all the same. I was also not patient enough to climb higher then 3700m and i saw FD and HZ :roll:

370 Pilots are in the ranking 2008 and surely the most have great fun with SBC.

:arrow: what a great Competition :!:

.... Andreas and Steffen thats your work, we are all thankfull - when there are one or two who doesn´t like it.... ok, we can live without them :wink:
Last edited by UWE on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:37 am

All those people that are complaining should try and host an event like this. I don't think most people could design 10 tasks in a row that everyone would like never mind 44. At least they should be happy because the pain will end in 5 races. That's right you only have 5 more to complain about. :P

I will miss the fun and fellowship of flying these tasks but then again it looks like we will be flying RL in the next few weeks here :D
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Task setting is not going to be perfect 100% of the time, with the number of contestants it would be a miracle if everyone was happy with a task. How many people flew this task & how many complained... only a small percentage. I think this seasons tasks have been the best & if setting tasks like those we have had so far means the occasional task is not perfect I don't care as its a small price to pay for the quality tasks we have had so far.

Setting the start height limit at 5000m may have been a mistake but part of life is making & learning from mistakes.

Looking forward to Sundays task now :)

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:12 pm

A good part of interest comes from not 100 % perfect things :wink:
Perfect things are very very very boooorinnng :mrgreen:

It was a great day for me because it was my best result, even i don't search the wave during a long time to make the flight as fast as possible, and started the flight at 2600 m alt., even i had my 672 pts like a good part of others :D
I finished it, and made the race under 2 hours, it's enough for my happiness :D

A great day too for French Team .... Congrats to Nico, David and Dominique, you made this possible :mrgreen:

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:52 pm

GregNuspel wrote:All those people that are complaining should try and host an event like this. I don't think most people could design 10 tasks in a row that everyone would like never mind 44. At least they should be happy because the pain will end in 5 races. That's right you only have 5 more to complain about. :P

I will miss the fun and fellowship of flying these tasks but then again it looks like we will be flying RL in the next few weeks here :D
Exactly, it amazes how Stefan is able to set so many tasks. All I want out of SBC is to have fun, in good company, and fly to the best of my ability. It's the perfect environment for this and very much appreciated.

Tuatara

How about some perspective folks

Post by Tuatara » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 pm

It should probably be remembered, this is only a game, a cheap/free one at that.

We could always just happy someone takes the time to set tasks and that the opportunity exists for us to fly amongst other gliders. For those of us who are less than capable on Condor, it was great to have a go-fast task, that also proved to be a little challenging in the middle.

Thanks!
...The Flying Kiwi...