Impressions Day 39

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

thermal

Impressions Day 39

Post by thermal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 am

From the very beginning of the flight it was clear that those pilots who managed to climb to or near the unrestricted start line altitude, would have an easy glide from start to finish.
Nice... but probably very boring.

The majority of pilots therefore didn't bother to look for 5000+ meter and had an interesting and challenging flight in the middle of the night. :D
The penalty for that was a low score, no matter how good you thought you had done.
After the flight, at breakfast, the general feeling was that this task was the perfect demonstration of why organizers normally set a maximum start altitude. :wink:

Anyway, congrats JJ, excellent flight management.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

MoWa

Re: Impressions Day 39

Post by MoWa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 am

thermal wrote:After the flight, at breakfast, the general feeling was that this task was the perfect demonstration of why organizers normally set a maximum start altitude. :wink:
Right. I hope it was a mistake - getting useless scores at this time in the contest can really annoy people. I got so annoyed by knowing my flight would be useless when I started at 3500 m, that I chose to fly into a mountain, cursing at the poor organizers, who just happened to do a human mistake. :)

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:25 am

My thoughts exactly - please always use max start altitude. Some got lucky and hooked into the wave, and it was a no contest from then on. Many of us tried hooking into it also, but no luck (yes, at the same place).

I just opened my airbrakes and landed when I heard JJ's speed :lol:

bagger

Post by bagger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 am

I agree, it was boring.

The worst task in SBC history :cry:
Pozdrawiam, Jarek

Frank Lukas

Post by Frank Lukas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 am

Hello!

It was a mistake by the tasksetter... No Problem, it can happen to everybody.

But it also was the chance to go for the price of longest flighttime in SBC 2008. I´ve been thinking about it a couple of times during the race, but had a hard day already. Otherwise I would have been flying all day/night long.

As we "wasted" now one raceday here... What about a nice Fototask? :lol:

CU on sunday,

FL

Frank Lukas

Post by Frank Lukas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:47 am

fingertrouble :oops:
Last edited by Frank Lukas on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mach_one_man

Post by mach_one_man » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:55 am

Hello, as my first proper task I have flown for a while in Condor, I have to say I really enjoyed it!

I obviously considered the wave option, but didnt find the right climb so just flew it normally from a ridge start. Had a great flight nevertheless and it didnt go too badly. I had a few little challenges along the way and just tried to fly, turning as little as possible. Had an interesting ridge crossing into wind coming up to TP3 as I took a northerly route through the mountains, but nevertheless it was a fun task. A shame that there wasn't a max start height, but then again, you can't always have everything :)

chrobak

Post by chrobak » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:08 am

bagger wrote:
The worst task in SBC history :cry:

truth...

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am

cruiser wrote:I just opened my airbrakes and landed when I heard JJ's speed :lol:
me too :lol:

Although I enjoyed the mood of flying in the dawn..but without getting the 5km wave it was so useless..
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

UWE

not bad

Post by UWE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am

My god - it was an other kind of Competitionday - early start in the dark morning - patient climbing by sunrise before start....
Sure, it was no heavy exciting race day.
But i had my breakfast on board, trimmed my 26m Ship by 140 km/h, drunk Coffee and looked around :lol:
After TP2 a little bit easy ridge running on well known places and back home before the normal people wake up. :wink:

If i did this flight in real, it surley stay im my memory. 8)

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am

And what about the fun :?: 8) :lol:
I really appreciate to start before the sun and finish just at time for breakfast :D

Some pics ...

Thanks to those who was in the same server, it was very nice to fly with you :wink:

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:33 am

I was within a few meters of the wave but didn't find it so I had a challenge for the rest of the flight. I think there are some sour grapes here from those that missed the wave as well. I have had lots of trouble finding wave these days I was wondering if it is realistic or was the old way more realistic?
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:39 am

It wasn't my favourite task either, and probably indeed the worst I've flown this year.
But, to say that it is unfair, or takes way too much time, I don't agree.
The task was as fair as can be as only static lift was usuable, everybody had the same opportunity.
Too much time, no way. It would take about 1:30hr to climb to 5000m I think.
Quite long yes, but with that altitude the task only took 1 hour or so.
If I wasn't so stupid to look for better wave I'd probably started earlier and higher than I did.
But no, as it was allready too late I chose to start anyways and try to become best of the rest and defend my position this month.
Look at it this way, there was a max start altitude (5000m)
Nomatter how slow you flew you'd always get 672p, so because the task was not 'good' the scoring will refund the loss.

Just funny to see people were allready worrying about their score during the task.
And it seems that people can lose the fun if they lose the idea that they can win.
Because the task was different people found an excuse to give up, (that's how I look at some of the comments, not all)
So, tasksetter, nice idea. It was worth a try as else we'd be stuck in the same tasks forever.
But don't do this anymore ; )

Congratulations to the winner, and everybody else that was satisfied with their result.
I can laugh about it, spend as much time as the winner, but didn't got that high.
So basicly I made one more mistake than the winner, wether that's before or after start doesn't matter.

SeeYou next Sunday!
Think positive, flaps negative.

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah Like I see I see again some people blaming on SBC , They make nice tasks . When U couldn't get in the small wave of triglav u would be at a nice alt . Me and KL decided to try it and it worked . Like KL said to me there was a to high inversion for good strenghts wave so we had to deal with +0.5 / +1.2 After KL was 800m above me and I was climbing in wave we started both togheter . Then we just flew on after 17km he got disconnected . So I had to fly alone , I decided to fly so fast as possible to tp2 . I reached there with an avg of 220 and a save alt . then I flew to the long and nice hills and followed them , I think I could do 215+ but It didn't happen I am happy about my victorie , BUT please people stop flaming when u can't win . say its boring , well why u didn't win ? when its boring it means its easy so please stop flaming stupid task ? no it was an nice task !

Thx SBC

Reg JJJ
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

AMK

Post by AMK » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:07 pm

JJJ -you change CompNR to J1. Why ??? ?????? :D:D ;);)