Day 32 in Review

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

Icarus

Day 32 in Review

Post by Icarus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:16 am

Leaderboard looks more like "normal" today :)

Again, quite "interesting" if you made a bad move....funny this game isn't it, one minute you're as happy as a pig in sh*t and the next you're scratching around trying to stay up!

I had fun - finishing was a nice change from the past few tasks. Had a great run all the way to TP2, holding 110km/h avg, not super fast but quite respectable for a mid-fielder....a bad call there slowed me down a bit and by TP3 I'd dropped to 105km/h avg. Then some bad planning had me in the weeds dropping my water, a VERY low save half way home on leg 4 for placing 76.

Congrats to the winners, this one was all about being conservative and at the same time working/planning to use the best lift - sounds like RL!

H9

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:36 am

At the first glide I had to go afk at only 900m..
That was problem nr1 on the flight, but it turned out quite good instead.
I pulled speed back to about 150km/h as i wasn't too high and clouds were only few km away.
Luckily when I came back I was still infront of the clouds (but low!) and after a 40km glide I could climb 1000m in 2,5m/s
I think that's where I made the difference to number 2 (and others).
After turning tp1 I was a bit too greedy and went from one cloud to the other and finding my first thermal (shown by WD) was the best of them all :)
But I didn't lose that much on it either, as most of my thermal tries were still 2m.
Then the mountains came closer and it was nescessary to get altitude as quick as possible.
That worked, but as the cloud got blown into the lee-side the cimbrate dropped rapidly.
Still, in order to get back after turning the tp I spent some time to reach the last 100m with 1m/s.
On leg 3 I got 1 good climb from the ridge, 3m/s and with 3 more thermals just to stay high enough for the last tp I needed only 500m to get home.
Thats where I felt I had screwed up, because the cloud I wanted to use died and I had the choice to go either south of track, to one cloud up the distance and rising terrain, or go north of track and have the chance on more clouds.
I went north, although it was quite far of track for a normal condor thermal task, the patience got payed of, 2m/s to finalglide altitude and with some dolphin-style flying I could easily come home.

A bit sweaty at the last 50km but it was worth it, I really enjoy these tasks with quite a low cloudbase and no real ridge flying.
Think positive, flaps negative.

UWE

Post by UWE » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 am

Highs and lows are closley together :lol:

Until TP2 it runs ok. All thermals a little more then 2m/s and allways in save height. Easy flying.

But the Luvside of the mountains before TP2 doesn´t work as i expected. I wanted the good thermal here on the luv- and sunside. But he doesn´t came, so i jumped low over the ridge into the Lee. Mistake :P. The cloud on the TP died and i was to low for back over the ridge. :oops:

So i have to fly low and slow direction east with the wind to the next clouds. In 100m above ground i dropped the water.... in perhaps 50m i get a weak little thermal. With patience circles i go back to the "living" pilots 5km behind the track.

After that i have a lonely, stressless flight with an empty glider around the resttask. :wink:

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:42 am

Same as UWE for me. Got a good climb at TP2 but chose to stay on lee side going North. Then realised that I need to cross the mountains, just made it, but then no lift and got very low. Saw others high above in lift. Dumped water and tried to scratch without UWE's luck and landed out near 3A.

Good task as decisions made defined outcome. CG to those in top ten.
Condor CN = E20

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:55 am

Congratulations Tim.
127 kpm is awesome.
I really enjoyed the task from a much more lowly perspective with 103.
But I'm getting the hang of the strategy thing using mc effectively and learning how far to go off track for thermals, how high to stay , how low to go etc.
Interesting you started running low at 150. I was generally running at around 200 with 2.1 set on the mc.
I got 2 / 2.5 thermals as well but I guess you click into the centre a lot faster than I do.

Two new things (new for me that is) have really helped me.
TrackIR for the crowded termals. Last race without them, I hit/was hit twice. I just didn't see either coming. This time I was able to stay clean and even avoided someone blindly joining a right hand thermal going left. Mind you I still stay away from the very crowded thermals.
The other big help are the flap guage rings for the getting the right flap settings. I hand it all wrong before.

The more I learn the more I appreciate how good you guys up front are.

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:07 pm

It was a nice task where one mistake could cost a lot of time, or even an outlanding.

When the gate opened there were no 'high clouds' in the start sectoe so I hung around for about 15 minutes until one with base at nearly 1800m developed. that got me a nice fast start before pulling up to cruise speed and gaining about 130 metres in the process.

After the nice start the first couple of clouds I tried gave weak and broken lift and I just lost time without gaining much height. Others that started just behind me had already passed me and found themselves a 2-2.5 thermal in which i joined them.

After that until TP3 things went nicely with 2-2.5 thermals and one at 2.9, staying reasonably high without any drama. After TP3 I reached my low point at about 850m, but found FL circling in what turned out to be a 2.2 m/s thremal. Just what I needed, I climbed to +300 at MC 2.5 and had a nice uneventful final glide.

SteveK

Post by SteveK » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:33 pm

It was nice to actually finish a task once again (after a couple of recent landouts and a "comedy" pre-start crash).

I flew conservatively, and never found the higher climbrates being reported by others - hence a poor speed.

Just for the record - It was my first Condor flight after installing the Real final version of Vista SP1 (not released to the public yet- shhh!!!!) - All seemed OK - Condor, Seeyou, Hitzi's server list, TrackIR and Teamspeak all ran as normal.

SteveK

S.Berx

Post by S.Berx » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Well last night I wasnt in it with my head, the joy and excitement left from my first rl flight start to finish in a twinII since 9years from earlier in the day was still to much in my head. It seemed I couldnt even be bothered to start in the beginning, no juice to set me on the road. After hanging around the start sector for 45min I finaly went for a start from 1900m so no complaining there, made my way over to tp1 far from fast, but on my way to tp2 when getting low at the finish airport I completly gave up dumped the water and waited for the finishers to come in, tim even beating me to it :lol:
Cg to the podium and all the other finishers, I far from liked the task last night, but I'd give it another go in another mindset, seemed interesting with the low cloudbase and higher terrain in the end.
ImageImage