Race 30 problems!

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

Icarus

Race 30 problems!

Post by Icarus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Like my friends on earlier servers - no email :(

Checked CCC and got password details, but no PDF...."suck it and see" approach.

WARNING - I crashed flying a few miles East of TP3 because I (think) I ran onto the edge of scenery....just like a black hole in space - no escape!...when I realised I was flying sideways I tried to turn back but ended up going sideways into the mountains at 100kts. DON'T fly more than one or two miles to the East of TP3....you will die!

Hope my misfortune saves a few others from similar bad luck.

Note for tasksetters... WTF? Let's not do this again, PLEASE!

H9

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Yes, setting TP too close to the edge of the scenery isn't smart. Happened to have the same problems at least twice, once on SBC and once on AH task. And if this is in mountains, you'll have so called Icarus experience :lol:

So this could be the reason for so many crashes, as I'm looking at the results of today's race. Eight uploads, and five crashes.

Task setters should know better by now, and there were already discussion about the same problem in the past.

Santiago Lopez

Post by Santiago Lopez » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:21 pm

I haven't received the task information e-mail, but the task password is available at the speedbattle-cup page. But as H9 says, there is no PDF included. I'll have to wait until 14:45 exactly to find what the route is.
Thanks for the warning. I already hit the "flying" edge of scenery last year in a mountain stage and crashed the same way. How many km from the edge of the world is the flying border?
I don't consider this information to be "cheating" (for the paranoid). Many people don't know that you hit an invisible wall a few km from the visible border. It is a fair warning to all.

Edit: My e-mail arrived at 14:18. The pdf atachment has no map.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Maybe today we have blind date type of task 8)

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Santiago Lopez wrote:Edit: My e-mail arrived at 14:18. The pdf atachment has no map.
It's because of CTDB bug, the site was partially working this week-end.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:28 pm

I thought the map was showing the UK's weather this morning ... Fog!!

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:13 am

Reviewing my logfile on SeeYou the edge of scenery is just over 3km to the East of the outside edge of the TP3 cylinder. This is too close to have any option but to fly West again to look for lift.

Andreas/Stephan - may I request that you please do not count this as a crash against my record.

Cheers

H9