Booted off again

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

kpursuit

Booted off again

Post by kpursuit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 am

On Speedbattle Cup 2008 D10, 1845 UTC, about an hour into the task (and I was up front for a change) and I got booted off the server. Is this to do with my high ping (400ish).

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:19 am

Hi kpursuit

I'm an Aussie so also a long way from civilisation, just like you. I've been flying SpeedBattle tasks for about ten weeks now and the SpeedBattle Cup08 for the first time - all ten races.

I routinely get pings between 480 - 580 whilst flying online. For the most part I've had a stable flying experience (occasionally with some warping, but acceptable), and only two server disconnects during the racing.

I suspect being kicked off the server is more likely an internet service stability issue on your end than the server itself.

Why don't you join us merry men in the "far off lands" on the Sun 10h45 and Thurs 11h45 servers; it's a group of around 8-10 guys - USA/Aussie/Eastern European mostly. We place between 20 - 80 on most task so some good competition and a high standard of racing.

Cheers

Hotel Niner

kpursuit

Post by kpursuit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:09 am

Thanks for the advice Re: Ping.

Also thanks for invite, figure that would be 2345 and 0045 NZ Summer time. Would probably be in the land of nod by then but will keep it mind.

Do you come up on team-speak for these tasks?

An aussie who would be interested and comes up on this forum is "smithcorp", he is a Sydneyite who I met in NZ a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 am

Haven't tried the Teamspeak server as yet. I figure it might create extra problems with data transfer if I'm trying to fly and talk on such a high ping connection.

H9

kpursuit

Post by kpursuit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 am

I had the hitzi server list and team-speak up on my second screen this morning that might be the cause of the booting off problem.

ambrozic

Post by ambrozic » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

id rather had 400ish ping while being down under at the moment and not in this freaking cold europe waiting for spring :)

thermal

Post by thermal » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Icarus wrote: ... routinely get pings between 480 - 580 ...
Oempff...
And I start to worry when my Ping rates approach ... 80. :shock:
I feel sorry for you guys Down Under.

The thing is, with Ping rates that high, the warping is most noticeable by the other pilots on the Server.
And what you see on the Tab transparency, are average delays.
Occasionally your Ping rates may peak to an extent where the Server will no longer be able to maintain your connection and reset it.
Actually, it's not even the Condor Server that issues the Reset, it's a function in the system's TCP/IP stack.

The result is the same, you get kicked. :(
You might try to find another ISP, if there are any that can promise shorter delays.

BTW, Teamspeak's bandwidth requirements are fairly low.
Depending on the Codec used, ~32 Kb/s per in/out stream.
You could do an experiment to see how that works out next to a busy Condor Server connection.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Yes, the first three races I was flying the "popular" start times to see what a full start grid looks like in Condor and to have some fun with all the other guys, but on account of the ping issue (an the early morning starts) I now fly the 10h45 or 11h45 UTC servers.

As a matter of interest my wireless broadband here gives me download speeds of around 32Kbps - no room for Teamspeak! I live 15km from the city centre in Adelaide and I can't get a hard wired broadband service!!!! New government just elected two weeks ago - they "promise" to fix this issue.....lol, politicians making election campaign promises.

While you freeze your asses off in Europe we've just had two weeks of 35 - 39 deg C with some good early summer flying - a few 300's and 500's with the best weather to come in Jan/Feb....you'll have to excuse me if I miss one or two SBC races :)

H9

thermal

Post by thermal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Icarus wrote: ...excuse me if I miss one or two SBC races :...
With the spread of SBC08 Servers.... that's no excuse.
Nah, seriously, enjoy your spring/summer soaring season as much as you can. :D

Here in (western) Europe, winter has not really set in yet.
3 to 6 degrees C, drizzle, windy, cloud base at 50 meters... makes you yearn for spring time, and in the mean time, for the next SBC race.
Icarus wrote: speeds of around 32Kbps ...
That's really bad. :(
By the end of the middle ages, we had ISDN-2 here.
Wooow, 64 Kb/s digital, unheard of in those days.
I hope your new Government keep their promise and break the cartel.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"