Day 7

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

Day 7

Post by 22 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Oups my Condor crashed before task start...have anybody pass for 20:45 CET server? Thx for PM.

Post by 22 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:57 pm

In this case 20:45 UTC? Somebody?

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:57 pm

Where is the 21:45 server????

If it doesn't show, can somebody please send the PW for the 22:45 server (the US based one)?

Thx

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:14 am

I'm on finalglide!
completely dead air and quite boring...
any idea's ?
Think positive, flaps negative.

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:31 am

I keep my fingers crossed, but I think you have to wait for reversal thermal (like we use on some days in the alps until sunset) 8)

@SBC Team
I sent you an email with further details, but pls set my flight to 0 points or do a recalculation until first landing. I did a restart after first TP (together with NX after a long long glide :oops: ) and then finished task via TP2 just for fun but after upload I saw I got wrongly full points. I thought SeeYou would recognize a landing in between :roll:

Martin
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:52 am

I noticed the same in SeeYou indeed... but for me it takes my 2nd start :)
Wish you were there!

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am

Cool Tim, awesome that you finished so late! :shock:
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:58 am

messed it up once again...landed out in front of the higher hills on the half of the second leg.

Its terrbile if you have to whole gaggle behind you...it really made me make stupid mistakes, being afraid they might overtake me :?

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am

started just after tim, stayed right behind him but got lucky with a strong thermal most people missed. everyone else decided to turn the tp (1) and stay in the mountains, i headed off to the castle as usually that area kicks off some great thermals. crossed over the valley very early and into the hills right of track on leg 2, nver hit a thermal less than 2m/s the whole task most averaging 2.5-3 int. made a small mistake just after the castle and stayed with a thermal that was 2 while i waited for a new cloud to build a bit more, didnt look very good, huge mistake was 3.5 m/s wasted about 3-4 mins.
the other big mistake was flying too fast on fg, forced me to follow the river to the finish, if i had gone a bit slower i could have taken the direct route so lost a few minutes there.

really nice task. cgts to tim for making it round after such a late start.

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:15 am

mosquito wrote:Its terrbile if you have to whole gaggle behind you...it really made me make stupid mistakes, being afraid they might overtake me :?
Who has the longest? I think I got the longest train of gliders behind my tail.
And I alos think it made me do 1 stupid mistake which was enough to ruin this day of course :)

But congratulations to 001, absolutely an awesome flight!

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:11 pm

I went all out. I had enough of 8xx scores :lol:
Ofcourse, that didnt work out and I landed few km before WH

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:34 pm

mosquito wrote: ... being afraid they might overtake me ...
I never have that problem... :lol:
I always try to fly my own race and avoid gaggles if I can, in the hope to find one or two better thermals than the others.
Admitted, that's not always easy or possible, given the relatively short lengths of the tasks and the orography below, but I keep trying.

Day 7 predicted weak thermals and had a rather late start time in the end of August, so staying high and using the Open class' glide ratio was of the essence.
I started behind the pack and all went well up to TP1, where I met the gaggle.
From there I followed a slightly different route aiming for some fresh clouds in the distance.
They didn't give much, so I skipped them and arrived very low at the higher hills.
Here, a 2.5 m/s thermal came to the rescue which brought me to cloud base.
15 Kms before TP2, at 16:35, I found my last thermal of the day which I used to get me 300 meters above glide path.
Carefully gliding from one die-ing cloud to the next that only gave reduced sink, I barely made it over the last hills before the finish.

My tactic didn't work, again, but at least I made it home. :D
Nice task.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:50 pm

I never have this problem too, because i'm always ... behind, very far behind others, and nobody want to stay flying with me :lol: so, i fly very quiete :D
I was lucky, too, i was beginning to think to find a nice field near TP2, because i was under 1000 m, but i found a thermal, it was more than 17 h :shock: and i had +1,4-1,5 m/s, so, i have finished my flight, alone, the last, quietly, but no matter, i've finished :D

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:06 pm

What a difference one bad decision makes on a task like this. I started several minuteas after Tom and was with him in the same thermal before entering the mountains on the second leg. I went right, Tom went left, my cloud died before I got to it as did all others in reach.

I flew with SN and S1 all the way down that valley heading north without a single thermal in reach. Then to cap it all off instead of landing safely at Ruzomberok I tried to get a bit further on track and hit a tree trying to land in a small gap. Stupid :lol:

S.Berx

Post by S.Berx » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:29 pm

Yup the way north had the wrong timing on it, from one dieing thermal to the other, to then notice everybody who went over the mountains pass overhead at 2000m :? and to top it off i overlook the miracle one forming over the city near the airport i landed out. Sorry tony had i spotted that one a lil sooner i think we might have seen the end...
ImageImage