Day 5 - Provence

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

andreas.kippnick

Day 5 - Provence

Post by andreas.kippnick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi,

on day 5 of SBC08 we will fly in the Provence.

Andreas

Image Image Image Image Image

Joost v Veelen

Post by Joost v Veelen » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 pm

nice task, thanks

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:50 pm

Cool, I flew like a granddad but loved the task. :D

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 pm

Nice task :D

WDP

Post by WDP » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:39 am

... must have been fun for Herrn Leucker and Herrn Hake this time :lol:
i flew too much north on first leg, thermals only 2,5, NX reporting 3-4 on the more southern route.
@ andreas and stefan, I enjoyed the flight very much, thank you for your great work

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 am

Thanks guys - this was my first AAT....really enjoyed it and made my best placing so far in SBC!

Much higher workload on task working out distances as I went along. I did not realise that the PDA switches to next TP as soon as you enter the sector; so keeping track of distance flown into a sector/distance to go to TP is a bit more difficult.

Also tried to push too far North and had one or two low and slow spots.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Hotel Niner

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:26 am

Another short race report from my side:
At first I was 'frightened' again by the scenery.
Before I even saw the task I knew this would become quite difficult.
For me the provence always is, much more difficult then Eastern Alps or New Zealand.
Then on the briefing I found out it was an AAT.
I mixed Min Distance and Nominal distance, so I thought when I'd fly from tp to tp it would be 139km..
So I wanted to do my distance in the first sector, and because of the low cloudbase, prefer to stay east.
So in order still being able to do my distance I was forced to go south in the first sector.

So I did, and the first signal of the mountains, (south of puimasson) was a 4m/s thermal.. wow!
Heading on towards the sector I found again 2.5-3m/s.
Then I entered the sector and my PDA said it was 170km towards tp2 and finish. :?
that while the nominal distance was 139 (I thought)... ok, calculating..
I turned immediately after I found out, and knew I would have enough space in the 2nd sector to fill my Tmin.

The only problem was: what to do with the mountains?
I first thought to fly towards the higher part of le parcour, but all clouds in that direction died so it seemed impossible to reach it.
So I just went straight on track and every hill I reached I knew less about the ridge lifts.
Sunside didn'tseem to work, wind side neither..
And now all clouds gave me less than 2m/s..
So I searched every cloud on my way in order to find a nice climb.
I felt like flying way too much of track, which in the end didn't seem to be the case..

Approaching the 2nd sector with a low cloudbase and terrain comming up:
I didn't have too many options, but an immediate return to finish would lead to a finish before Tmin.
While going to the next cloud would result in finishing 15min after Tmin.
I still don't know why I came to that descission but I decided to turn around immedeately.
The terrain was quite high and I was kind of low above the terrain (300m I guess)
After that it was just case of finding the first thermal and get to finalglide.
I turned a bit more then needed because I had time enough, and finished 10 seconds before Tmin ended.

Untill then I thought I was no good at all.
Then I opened my file in SeeYou and noticed that my flighttrack was kind of perfectly lined up with my task's legs.
So the thought I had of flying very much off track on leg2 didn't seem to be true.
And after it calculated my speed I begann to relief about the damage in the scoring.

It turned out I got 1st,
Very interresting to find out more and more about the psychological part of gliding.
If I wouldn't have thought about going slow during leg2 it probably would have been more fun and even went better.
But I didn't.. hope to do so next time, and that I learned from this one!

Nice task, something different.. 191km/h :)
Think positive, flaps negative.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:43 am

My race was going well, until I turned tp2 and found out I'd come home 15min too fast :lol: Then I took a little sightseeing adventure in tp2 area :lol:

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:04 am

WDP wrote:... must have been fun for Herrn Leucker and Herrn Hake this time :lol:
why that? :? :?

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:20 am

Congrats, Tim!

My "tactic" today was to stay away from the high mountains in the East and aim for T-min exactly.
With a low cloud base like this and the given wind direction, you'd normally think twice here in RL if you know what's good for your health... :?

And considering that 4m/s thermals always do their best to avoid me, this was not a bad idea.
A die-ing cloud North of Lac St.Croix prevented my plan to gather the necessary distance in the first sector, so I continued West of the Parcours.
Sun and wind seemed to work against each other and I never found better lift than ~2m/s.
That caused me to arrive just too low at Col Bayard to scratch the second sector and I lost another 5 minutes there, scraping 8-s.
From there, slow final glide with +10 meters over path.

Challenging task nonetheless, but please Tasksetters, don't set Easterly winds in the Provence.
That doesn't normally occur there in summer, and if it does, you can't fly.
Chances are, that it will rain for days then. :(
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 am

Congrats to Tim, I know the task area quite well (in Condor) & planned to fly towards TP1 then pick up the high mountain ridge running roughly NW, then once inside the TP2 sector I would use the ridge running north to go to the TP & possibly beyond if min task time was looking a bit tight. Once inside the first sector I could see that nice long ridge but there were no clouds anywhere near it & I decided that part of the plan was not going to work. I then headed for TP2 but my track was not ideal as the next cloud always seemed to be further west than the last one :) A 4m/s thermal just inside the TP2 sector set me up nicely for the run up the ridge to the TP. The sunny side of the ridge worked but not as well as expected & didn't make it worthwhile flying beyond it & risking getting back to it too low so I turned at the end of the ridge & made my final glide from there.

Thought I had been forced to fly off track far too much as clouds ahead always seemed to be dying & the good looking ones never seemed to be where I wanted them, but looking at my track afterwards it was not too bad :) A bit surprised with the result which is my best so far in SBC :)

Krejca

Post by Krejca » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:21 pm

I checked teorethical prepare of my dad, who flew in Provence many times. He told me the ways, which is using in this season and this conditions. So I go to the west side of Parcours, and nothing here, but in real here is it a gliding street for fastest track of your flight. But in Condor is nothing like this. So I decided to go to small hills for my safe and circling in weak thermals about 2-3 m/s. Terrible.

Im scared of the Provence in Condor :-D
"Fly fast, live slow"

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Congratulations Tim and Jon :D

All the good thermals successfully avoided me too :lol: but the 1.5 - 2.5'ers found me.

Thought I had done terribly, but managed more or less straight lines apart from one 90 degree detour when my 1.5 thermal died. I was sure the lovely looking new cloud I detoured to was going to be one of the boomers but ended up only 2.5 m/s, my best on task.

In the end a better score than I thought.