Very frustrating - first SPC07

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

Stefke

Re: Very frustrating - first SPC07

Post by Stefke » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:35 pm

Fransois wrote:
Stefke wrote: We try it on Thursday again, if the same problem is there, we need hosters.
I can host on sunday's and sometimes on thursday :idea: .

Greets Fransois
Thanks, but due to some technical reason, we want to make one more try on Thursday. And Fransois, I read everything about my balls... :shock: :wink:

MoWa

Post by MoWa » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:10 am

Stefke wrote:OK,
we spend many hours to organize this cup and now the first day has so many problems. Andreas an I decided to count his day nevertheless.
Don't let the problems keep you awake - things like that happens :). You have done a great job already, and the task looked wonderful, just a pity I didn't fly it :)

Counting a day like this, however, is absolutely wrong. You put aside the 3-days-no-points-if-you-crash-rule (which I'm afraid rather fast will be cause MANY (perhaps even most) of the pilots to quit flying SBC), but you still count the race...

The crashes weren't caused by server problems, but a huge number of pilots couldn't participate because of the server problems, some races started 30-40-50 minutes later (in-game competition time) than others, changing weather conditions... Excuse me, with all due respect, I don't think this is the right decision.

I urge you to reconsider your decision (and also the crashrule, while you're at it ;)

Again, I appreciate your work very much, it's always wonderful when people do that much for other people. Don't get me wrong. :)

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:21 am

I got caught in the server problems but stayed cool 8) because :

1) No one is perfect and problem can always happen

2) I am confident that SBC will be a success

Keep up the good work :)

Stefke

Post by Stefke » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 am

Counting a day like this, however, is absolutely wrong.
We received a mail from Tim Kuijpers, pilot of NX.

He wrote:

My idea would be to see this day as a bonus for the pilots who flew.
So the day will be counted if this is one of the best scores for one pilot,
but this day shouldn't be counted in the maximum competition days.

So for this month there would have been 9 days. (which makes you have to fly even
more then 50%) In my idea the month score should contain 50% out of 8 days, as today
didn't work out as planned. People who didn't had the chance to fly won't be injured, and
the people who flew won't have flown for nothing.

We think this is fair for all and we will do so.

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:43 am

I do wonder if the paragliders and hang gliders in the scenery will cause you to crash. It would be a shame to come around a corner on a slope and crash into one of those guys.
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

andreas.kippnick

Post by andreas.kippnick » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 am

MoWa wrote:
Counting a day like this, however, is absolutely wrong. You put aside the 3-days-no-points-if-you-crash-rule (which I'm afraid rather fast will be cause MANY (perhaps even most) of the pilots to quit flying SBC), but you still count the race...
Stefke wrote: We decided also that the crashing rule is set out today.
And we fly 9 races this month and we will count only the best 4 races. And don't forget for the overall ranking the weakest month will be deleted.

Andreas

Image Image Image Image Image

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:57 am

If you hit them you have collided with a ground object. Try to avoid them.

My tuggie towed me to the wrong ridge where there were plenty of paragliders soaring the lee :lol:

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:12 am

Stefke wrote: ...
Before you insult us now, please remember, ...
Stefan, Andreas, i join the already expressed opinions about the really great job done by you to organize this event. Despite i'm among the victims of the first day i'm quite sure that very soon all problems will be solved and SBC07 will run smoothly.
Thanks for the efforts you do for all Condor community.

Fransois

Post by Fransois » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:49 am

Stefke wrote:
Fransois wrote:
Stefke wrote: We try it on Thursday again, if the same problem is there, we need hosters.
I can host on sunday's and sometimes on thursday :idea: .

Greets Fransois
Thanks, but due to some technical reason, we want to make one more try on Thursday. And Fransois, I read everything about my balls... :shock: :wink:
Ha ha ha......it's true that i sad that :lol: I crashed into the mountain because I went to the left 15k before TP2 and all the other pilots gone to the right wich was the right decision :? . My biggest problem during these kind of competions is to choose the right direction allong the hills. Finding the right thermals and lift is not such a big problem for me. During LLC I had the same problem too. Flying as fast as a formula 1 car but crashing after all because of wrong tactical decisions :cry:

I was just unbelievably disapointed that I crashed after all those server problems. Must have been nice to read my comment after crashing ha ha ha :P :lol: :P :wink:

But never theless I want to thank you guys for putting su much effort in this competition. :wink:
ImageImage

CyberD

Post by CyberD » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:02 pm

I'll post my experience for debugging purposes. I was in server IV, towing didn't start because there was someone stuck in a black hole between GUI (flight planner) and the game. I don't remember who was, his ping showed zero. Auto timeout kick didn't work. After a long time he finally disconnected/entered the game (I don't remember). Then towing started, but after that, the task start countdown didn't show up. People started to disconnect, until there were only R.One and I (TAZ) in the server. When R.One disconnected, the countdown for task started. When I was already accepting the idea of flying the task alone, I got disconnected, I think the server was restarted, because in the next seconds it was again available in the servers list.

I just went to the sofa and joined my wife for a relaxing evening watching TV and sleeping a bit :D

Never mind about the problems, this kind of thing can happen, it's the murphy's law for hosting Condor tasks :lol: I don't think anyone in good mental health would insult you after all the dedication and hard work you've been doing - and for free - so we can all have fun flying Condor togheter.

Thank you very much.
Tales - TAZ

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:40 pm

It's great work that your doing at SBC, but I can't remember which server I was on and was disconnected after approx 50km of starting I think but was was unable to save or open my ftp file for some reason.

So I guess it's no score on Day 1 for me.

andreas.kippnick

Post by andreas.kippnick » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:43 pm

ASH33M wrote:It's great work that your doing at SBC, but I can't remember which server I was on and was disconnected after approx 50km of starting I think but was was unable to save or open my ftp file for some reason.

So I guess it's no score on Day 1 for me.
In December you will have 8 more tries to get a good score.

We will count the best 4 races in December for the monthly scoring.

Andresa

Image Image Image Image Image

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:19 pm

Fransois wrote:
M.Wissmann wrote:HELP HELP

crashed and because of this i was so angry that i didn t save my igc

what to do?????? :x
same here. I crashed to at fg 2300m!!!!!! I hate it when it's a gamble wich way to go. Ende up on the wrong site of the hill. Now i'm pissed and i'm going to beat my wife and dog :evil:
Hey leave the dog alone. :D
P.S. Great i can fly it if you go again on thursday. Missed join time by 10 mins.
Basil Fawlty (RCB)