gold badge tasks

Tasks database, etc.

Moderator: BOD1

dr.phees

gold badge tasks

Post by dr.phees » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm

I think the settings for the gold badge tasks are too unrealistic.
You have to takeoff with 50kph sidewind!
The 3000m height task is (given you can start, what should give most fliers a nice damp hands :) it's soooo easy to do. (And gold badge doesn't need to be done in under 25 minutes)

The 200km task (again: 50 kph sidewind at takoff) is realy hard to fly, but mainly because of that unbelievable storm you are sainling against in the second half.
If you plan to do a 200km gold badge task, you wouldn't chose that kind of weather, or, at least I won't.
Make it 20kph wind, and some more thermals.
-- www.phees.de --
reg: D-PHEES comp: DPH
Imagev1.9 Imagev1.9

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:05 pm

I agree, that's a bit excessive (PS: TASKS WELCOME!)
But, in real life, don't forget the pilot choose when he want to fly, when the conditions are good, etc.

For the 3000m gain, you can't expect to do it in plain thermal (not in europe) and the only way is to use ridge (or wave). I can't ask pilots to perform this challenge with a wind of 10 km/h...
An interesting task could be "find a wave to climb 3000 meters", if someone can make this kind of task, I'll be pleased to replace the current task by this one.
The 200km task (again: 50 kph sidewind at takoff) is realy hard to fly, but mainly because of that unbelievable storm you are sainling against in the second half.
I've tested the task before release; with half air break out, there is no problem to take off, and the task is not so hard to complete (and a lot of pilots has completed it).
By using a mix of thermal/ridge lift in the second leg, there is absolutely no difficulties. You know, it's not a speed race, so you have time to climb, to assure a security altitude... I did it in 1h30 but you have to do it in 2 hours or more to get your badge, so no hurry!

Thierry
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

dr.phees

Post by dr.phees » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Well, that's true. But it would have been nice to have wind along the runway. (also completed both tasks in first try, by the way)

I'm fiddling with the task's weather settings at the moment to find a solution, I like better. When I'm done we can talk about it.

Anyway, thanks for the task setting (and my "official" condor gold badge :)

p.s. did you think about MosGuy's condor badges? (Like in my sig)
Also you could add the condor version to the badges, also like in my signiture. (a v1.7 gold badge should have been less realistic, than a 1.9) And since you can choose your weather, you can try a badge more often than in RL. Or even add the date of badge achievement...
-- www.phees.de --
reg: D-PHEES comp: DPH
Imagev1.9 Imagev1.9

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:57 pm

I have to agree with dr.phees. The distance task is not one which would be set normally. I did my Gold distance RL on a nice sunny day with very little wind (it was a triangle BTW) over nice flat fields in case I had to land out. I got round the BOD Condor task OK, but the second half was just a long FG for me as I left the halfway TP with 4000m height. Not very realistic I think.

What really annoys me is the Gold height task, which is really quite hard as there is very little wave around, and you can't get there in themals. And that crosswind take off!!!! :roll: I found a tiny patch of wave almost off the map and battled up to 4050m taking over an hour to do it, only to get the message 'Scenery mismatch' when I submitted it for ratification. This is just daft, as I set off using the task setter's flightplan. If this is going to be the standard of marking then I won't be bothering with this badge again. :evil:

Neither of these tasks are as good as the Silver which I think is very good.

New Gold tasks I think SOON. Maybe BOD would like me to set them. :?: :?: :?:
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Concerning your upload problem, as I told you in private mail, just send me your FTR, I'll check.

I agree for the gold tasks "Partial Gold badge examination" and "Gain of height of 3000 m for Gold badge". Another task has been set: "Task #2 for Gold badge" to offer an alternative.

I'll really enjoy if you (and other!) can create tasks for badges! There are some restrictions (see http://condor.ephemeride.com/badge/145/) to respect.
When completed and *tested*, send me the FPL for publication.

BOD1 (with a ONE :) )

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:30 pm

I did Ded's Task 2 for Gold Badge where you get the height ridge soaring the Eiger follwed by a nice slow glide to the finish to make sure you get the 2 hours. All 3 legs in one flight.

Is it even possible to do gold height in thermals in Condor ?

Olympia, I'm sure BOD would appreciate you setting some tasks. I would also, I like the more realistic tasks.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Olympia wrote:What really annoys me is the Gold height task, which is really quite hard as there is very little wave around, and you can't get there in themals. And that crosswind take off!!!! :roll: I found a tiny patch of wave almost off the map and battled up to 4050m taking over an hour to do it, only to get the message 'Scenery mismatch' when I submitted it for ratification. This is just daft, as I set off using the task setter's flightplan. If this is going to be the standard of marking then I won't be bothering with this badge again. :evil:
I've checked the FTR you sent me:
- I can upload it without problem (no scenery mismatch) on "Gain of height of 3000 m for Gold badge" verification. You have probably selected another task by mistake.
- You flight 1h 33m 30s and the barometer recorded 2309 m of gain, that's not enough for the Gold badge.
- You didn't mark the 100m height lost to start the "barometer" at your lowest position.

Please, ***PLEASE***, read carefully instruction...

Thank you,
Thierry