Badges and Diplomas

Tasks database, etc.

Moderator: BOD1

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:20 pm

Strider69 wrote:Well i did my silver a few weeks ago but never saw anywhere to download or link to the silver badge, going for the gold next, just wondering how to get the height and which task to try it on.
Bob.
Did you look at "Badges and Diplomas" page then "Silver badge" page on CTDB?
Scroll down if necessary, tasks are there.

Cheers,
Thierry
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

thermal

Post by thermal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:45 am

@Strider69,

This was one of the nicest tasks that qualify for the diamond badge, in case you're looking for one next.
It's over 300 Kms, there's wave for the altitude gain, and it's difficult enough to keep you occupied for the diamond duration.
Don't forget the 100 meter "start-dip", like I did on my first attempt. :wink:

It is in the Tasks Database, but not easy to find anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:52 am

thermal wrote: It is in the Tasks Database, but not easy to find anymore.
huh? --> Badges and Diploma section --> Gold badge page :)

Thierry

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks Thermal, might try that one later, Can i do that one though before i do the Gold task, i thought they were in sequence and could not be jumped. I was really asking about Gold tasks, the one i tried i failed to get the height so i abandoned it.
Cheers Bob.
P.S. i was looking for the little badge thingy at the bottom of your post's.
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:30 pm

Strider69 wrote:Thanks Thermal, might try that one later, Can i do that one though before i do the Gold task, i thought they were in sequence and could not be jumped. I was really asking about Gold tasks, the one i tried i failed to get the height so i abandoned it.
Cheers Bob.
P.S. i was looking for the little badge thingy at the bottom of your post's.
I did the all in one gold badge flight, I actually did the climb for the height after completing the distance.

You will find a link to the 'forum signature' on the 'badges and diplomas page' http://condor.ephemeride.com/badge/145/ - there you will find the text to copy and past into your profile.

Cheers

Tony

para1783

Post by para1783 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm

hi all

how is the gain of height measured? is it just the difference between the lowest and the highest point in your flight after you started the altimeter by loosing 100 m? Or do you have to do it all in one climb without loosing a certain amount of altitude in the course?

Cheers
Chris

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:10 pm

para1783 wrote:hi all

how is the gain of height measured? is it just the difference between the lowest and the highest point in your flight after you started the altimeter by loosing 100 m? Or do you have to do it all in one climb without loosing a certain amount of altitude in the course?

Cheers
Chris
I think it is the difference between lowest and highest as in RL

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:43 pm

Tonyh wrote: I think it is the difference between lowest and highest as in RL
Correct!
You can go up and down 100 times if you want! I get the lowest point (after the 100m lost) then the highest.

Thierry

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Thanks Tony, must be one of those blonde days for me, cant see for looking.
Tried it but i have Hitzi's panel in my post's so no room for the badge, Ohh well.
Cheers Bob.
P.S. What about doing the diamond without the gold, can it be done or do i have to complete the gold first?
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:15 am

In RL, when you qualify for a high badge, say the diamond badge, you automatically qualify for Gold and Silver.
Strider69 wrote: .. i was looking for the little badge thingy at the bottom of your post's...
Like in RL, I don't care about these "external" signs, because it doesn't say much about a pilot's skills.
I have them all, and I enjoyed all the flights that qualified me for them.

I know pilots who wear their diamonds every day on a prominent spot, for everyone to see, for status.
I also happen to know, that they flew their 500 Km task on an extraordinary good day and that it will probably be the only 500 they ever do.
I try to do a 500 every time I fly, and while doing that, nobody sees my diamonds anyway. 8)
I also happen to know, that they flew their 5000 meter altitude gain during a winter expedition, spending a small fortune on hotel and equipment costs for 1 single flight, freezing their butts off. :oops:
I can fly 5000 meter altitude during my summer holiday in the Alps almost every year, almost for free while I'm there, and in my shirt.

But if you insist, I'll wear the Condor versions... for 1 day. :wink:

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:18 pm

Of course, you are right, Thermal. For some of us is not problem to fly any task in Condor, but on the other side - BOD1 created this "badges" for our pleasure, Hitzi created statistic from the same reason. I am not any special proud to my "result", I am flying for my pleasure only, but on the other side, if we will ignore statistic and "badges", people which created it for us can think, that nobody like their work and nobody is interesting about it. It is not true, I am glad, that anybody is doing some extra things for us, so I am using this statistic and badges not that I am interesting about "promotion" of my "excellent skill", but as a respect and my thank you to Hitzi and Bod1. And, between us, lot of my friends from airport has their silver and gold badges on their cars :wink:

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:12 pm

Badges are an emotive topic in gliding. If we pause for moment and consider what a badge means maybe we will get a better perspective on the whole subject. Starting with the A, B and C badges; who amongst us was not proud to wear their B the day after they soloed for the first time? Being a solo pilot is an achievemant not given to many on this planet. Pilots are an elite, and pride in being one is justified. Now let's take the C badge: again who was not proud of that first soaring flight ? - the thrill of actually staying up on your own after all those circuits.

Now we come to the 'higher qualifications'. I think the Silver C is the basic badge that all glider pilots should aspire to. It is the proof that you can fly a glider to a distant point and land safely and can thermal with sufficient skill to gain the 1000m and last out for five ours. The last bit is getting a bit questionable since nowadays the 5 hrs is more a bladder test than anything else. But let that pass. Holding a Silver C is an international passport to flying in other countries. All gliding clubs the world over recognise it and will generally let you fly in their gliders. I have flown in several countries by just producing my certificate. The Gold , Diamonds and diplomas are really for ornamental purposes. Jewellery isn't just for girls - we boys like it as well, and again possesion of these trinkets generally denotes either more money or more time than many glider pilots can afford. I recognise their value to the owners thereof but I have more respect for the Silver C and instructors rating as holding these is proof that you are really competent flyer.

I would like to see a badge for instructors. Where would we be without them? I think someone who has trained and sent dozens of new pilots into the air is more deserving of our respect than any number of Diamonds on a badge. That's my tuppence worth.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Olympia Wrote:- I would like to see a badge for instructors. Where would we be without them?

Darn right, and most of them do it for free, What else can you learn in this world for nothing, I vote for an instructors badge, just so we can see how many are here, i know to three or four of them and they are all great blokes, always willing to help.

Cheers Instructors.

Bob.
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Well said, Cadfael, Olympia and Strider69.
Sorry if I gave a wrong impression about the badges.
I am not against badges at all, they are a great challenge for students as well as more advanced pilots.
I was merely pointing out why the badges in my signature were missing.
It's just a RL personal thing.

And I really appreciate the efforts done by the creators of the Tasks Database, to implement a Badge system for Condor.
They look great, and if you would browse through the "graduate pilots" you'll see that I'm one of the earliest supporters.
And as a token of my appreciation, I'll leave them in my signature.

I also support the idea of a badge for instructors, although it will be difficult to qualify for one in Condor. :)
The dedication and the amount of time instructors spend teaching others to fly, instead of flying themselves, is beyond my comprehension.
The same goes for qualified Technicians.
They deserve a badge too.
Thanks to them, the whole fleet is ready for take-off again next season.
My hat is off, for any volunteer in the gliding community.

Cheers!

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:23 am

I think gliding (and I include hang gliding here) must be one of the few sports which depend so much on selfless volunteers both on the ground (winch and towcar drivers) and in the air. Instructing is really quite dangerous as you have to teach anyone who joins the club and pays his dues. You try to join your country's airforce; you will be subjected to a battery of physical and mental tests to check every aspect of your body, intelligence and personality. I did this once to join the University Air Squadron. It took all day and then there was an aptitude test as well. After all that they might pass you A1 for flying training but even then you would be flunked out if you couldn't keep up. Contrast that with the 65 year old ex bank manager I had as a pupil, whose eyesight was to say the least of, doubtful, and whose reaction times were measured in fortnights. We got him solo (once--just once) but it took nearly 100 duals.
For this reason - the unselfishness and dedication, I think gliding has no peer amongst active sports.

I agree since we have no instructors in 'Condor' we cannot have a badge for that, but those of us who are, or were, in RL might have some indicator if only to let people know that we speak with knowledge and authority. Maybe we should have a poll to see how many might qualify.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW