Post by ASH33M » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Below is my DS Helper directory.

DS Helper (directory)
......FlightplansForDS (directory)
......Logs (directory)
......debug.txt (file)
......DSHelper.exe (exe file)
......settings (file)

This looks very much different from what you have above, I can see that you have created a directory for each server that you are set to host, is this the best directory setup to make as indicated above.

Inside each sub directory in example as Server 1 you have the following files inside this directory.

CondorDedicated.exe (File)
..............host.ini (File)
..............RaceResults (Directory)

The CondorDedicated.exe (file) - will this need to copied from the main Condor directory.

host.ini (file) will this file also come from the main Condor directory.

RaceResults (directory) I guess that this directory you will have to create manually.

When selecting or creating a new task will it be better to restart from scratch because of the directory structor.

I have had some help with setting up the DS Helper but what is the best method to use, would this be possible for someone to write some notes and possible to post them to me.

Thank You.

thermal

Post by thermal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:16 pm

The structure in the quote in my previous post, is the recommendation from Hitzi.

I also mentioned that some things in DSHelper are not obvious, and the best thing to do is start the recommended (directory-) structure from scratch.

Create the DSHelper directory.
Copy the DSHelper.exe to this directory.
Create a "Condor Servers" sub-directory.
In this sub-directory, create another sub-directory "Server-1".
Run DSHelper.

Now from DSHelper, use the function "Create new Server" and specify the Server directory where you want this server. (Server-1 in this example)
This function creates a new instance of CondorDedicated.exe, the host.ini file and another sub-directory called "RaceResults".
Do not copy them yourself.

Then, in the CondorServers directory, create the "Flightplans" sub-directory.
A lot of words, but actually it's simple and you should now have the hierarchical tree structure from my previous post.

The trick here is, to keep the DS instances and their host.ini files isolated from other servers that you create, and from the default DS in the Condor directory.
Also do not copy any of these files over manually, the "Create new Server" function does that for you.
Each CondorDedicated.exe and host.ini file are a unique pair.
Mix those up, and you'll find yourself in all kinds of strange problems, especially if you run multiple Servers concurrently.

During setup of a Server from DSHelper, more files will be created automatically and stored in the Server subdirectory to which they belong.
You may find files there with .fplsettings and .fblsettings suffixes, that I do not fully understand either.

Keep all .fpl and .sfl files in the FlightPlansForDS directory, and not in the Server sub-directories.

Another tip that may be usefull when you already had several versions of DSHelper installed, or had several attempts to install it:
As said, start the structure from scratch, but before you create the new structure, scan your system for left-overs from previous DSHelper installs.
In particular, files called host.ini and settings.ini could be scattered all over your system.
Chances are that if DSHelper "finds" one of these old files, it will use them as the current files, with unpredictable results.

Hope this helps.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 pm

thermal,

I have followed your instructions with ease, but no host.ini file is automatically placed into the Server -1 directory when using the select option when using DS Helper.

Below is what I have currently setup.

Once I have created a new server what are the best options to select when using the DS Helper options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Here's a mini step-by-step DSHelper setup guide.
Maybe it's a bit telegraphic, but hopefully you'll get the idea.
It is based on the recommended directory structure in my previous post, and assumes that the structure does not exist yet.
First create a directory called "DSHelper", which will be the root of the structure.
Copy the DSHelper.exe program into that directory.

Start DSHelper
Select Program/options/dedicated servers
press "Create new Server"
A window opens to select a directory
Highlight the DSHelper directory
Click the "New" button
Specify a descriptive name for the new Server sub-directory, for instance "Silver Badge Exam" (without the quotes)
Click OK.
A window might appear to remind you that you have to setup the Condor DS after all this.
Remember that... and click OK on that reminder.

In the DSHelper right most window, under "Path:" the fully qualified name of the new directory appears.
Under "Servername:" give it the name you would like to advertise on the public Condor Servers List. (Like: Silver Badge Exam)
Check the option "Automatic Start procedure" on.
Press the "Save" button (the left one, inside the right pane)

If you now check the contents of the "Silver Badge Exam" directory, you will find 2 objects.
The CondorDedicated program
A RaceResults folder.

Go back to the DSHelper's Options panel, and press "Save" (The right button near the bottom)
The Options window now closes.

Using the Windows explorer, go into the "Silver Badge Exam" directory".
Double click the DedicatedServer program.
On the Condor DS panel, press "Edit/Server options" and fill in the Server name (Silver Badge Exam) and your router's public IP address.
Set the other options as required.
Press OK to close the DS window.

Now check the contents of the "Silver Badge Exam" directory again.
You'll see that the host.ini appeared, the file that uniquely belongs to this instance of the DS.
Open the host.ini file with Notepad to see what's in there.

Using the explorer, create the FlightPlanforDS sub-directory under the DSHelper root directory..
Copy the SilverBadge.fpl flight plan that you downloaded from the Tasks Database into the FlightPlanforDS directory.
Using Notepad, create a "SilverBadge.sfl" file in the FlightPlanforDS directory, containing the fully qualified path name of the flightplan.

Go to the Condor DS screen again.
Press File/Load Flightplan List, and select the "SilverBadge.sfl" file.
The flight plan list file appears in the left most window.
Exit Condor Dedicated Server.

Open the DSHelper window again.
You will find a Tab on the main window with your new Server.

Click on it, and there you are.
You can start the server with "Actions/Start Server".

Now Open the host.ini file in the "Silver Badge Exam" directory with Notepad again, to see how it has changed.

Since its previous release, DSHelper contains a new advanced option under Tools, "Flight plan Editor".
Here, you can overrule almost all global DShelper settings and many of the flightplan settings, specific for each Server.
These settings are saved in the DS specific sub-directory with a suffix of ".fplsettings".

This all looks a bit complicated and cumbersome. And actually... it is.
But, when you've done it wrong a couple of times, like I did, you get the hang of it.
As said before, important thing is to really start from scratch.
If DSHelper finds traces of previous installs, it will use them with unpredictable results.

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:49 pm

When using notepad to create a sfl file and when saving what options do you need to select, and when I continue with the instruction above I'm getting the following error, where am I going wrong here.

What id the corect path that I should be writing when using Notepad.

Here are some screenshots that may help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:40 pm

Hmmm.
After starting DS, and selecting File/Load Flightplan List, did you see your flightplan list at all?

Just to make sure, this is what I do:
Suppose you have a flight plan file called "Diamond.fpl".

It usually resides in C:\Program Files\Condor\FlightPlans\User\Diamond.fpl.
Copy the flight plan file over to your "FlightplanFor DS" directory.

Now using Notepad, create a .txt file in the same "FlightplanFor DS" directory with the following line:

C:\...........\FlightplanForDS\Diamond.fpl

Substitute "C:" with your actual drive letter, and substitute the dots with the directory names above FlightplanForDS in the directory tree.
Important is, that the .sfl file contains references to the full path names of the .fpl files.
You can have more than one .fpl reference in the .sfl file.
If there is more than one entry in the .sfl, DS runs them as a rotating list of flightplans.

Save this file as, for instance, "Diamond.sfl" in the FlightplanForDS directory.

Then start the Dedicated Server, and load this Flight plan list file with File/Load Flightplan List.
A window opens where you can select the directory where the .sfl sits
Exit DS.

Done.

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:59 pm

@ASH33M,

When I first looked at your previous post, the .jpg file had a red cross on it: "file not available".
It is available now.
Looking at the extensive documentation you provided, your .SFL file should contain the following line:

L:\DSHelper\FlightplanForDS\SilverBadgeExam.fpl

If you then start Condor Dedicated Server and select File/Load Flightplan List
a window opens to "Open a file".
There is a drop-down window after "Look in:"
Open that, and browse to the L:\DSHelper\FlightplanForDS directory.
Click on it.

Now you should see your SilverBadgeExam.sfl file.
Select it, and press the Open button.
The .sfl file is loaded, and the .fpl file should now be in the DS's left window, ready to start.

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:18 pm

thermal,

I'm double checking everthing going over the same process again to make sure that I have not missed anything, when creating your sfl file using notepad that has the full path of your fpl file, because notpad is a basic text editor, when saving do you just add the sfl file extension after your name like in this example SilverBadgeExam.sfl, when using notepad save options there are the following save options.

Save as type: "Text Documents (.txt) or "All Files"

Encoding: "ANSI", "Unicode", "Unicode big endian" and "UTF-8".

What options do I need to select here.

thermal

Post by thermal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:44 pm

Just save your Flight plan list as "SilverBadgeExam.sfl" in the File name field, and ignore the file type field. (as always, without the quotes)

On all my systems, "Encoding type" is default ANSI.

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Thank you, I will start from scratch again taking a screenshot of each stage of the process to show if required.