SR08/09 Day6

Dicxit2

Day06

Post by Dicxit2 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 am

Result day 06
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redich

Post by Redich » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:19 am

22 wrote: 1) Special task and server for Standard class
2) Using last TP as finish for standard and scoring Standard class only from IGC. But it will needs any special mod in SCI for scoring such finish.
1. Would be like IRL and be the best solution. But as we know u'r guys doing this SkyRace on u'r spare time and this solution will make the workload even worse as I guess it is already is.

I would of cause prefer solution 1 but can also live with it as it stand now. I'm just so delighted someone will use some of theirs spare time to please all of us competition freaks out here :)

Solution 2 will for my part be a bad solution. I would defiantly prefer SkyRace trying simulating as close to RL conditions as they can.

SkyRace keep up the good work :D

Kind regards
B. Jensen

kaleu

Post by kaleu » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:27 am

Hi,

some words from the devil himself (called tasksetter ;) ).
It is true that some tasks, especially yesterdays of course wasn't too good for Std.class, that's just my fault and I agree with you. But I think it was not just last week but also D3 and D1 that weren't too hard for Std.class.
As Marek already said...afterwards it becomes clear that it was a mistake to add Std.class. Look at the feedback for the tasks 1-5, at least 90% very positive as they were good for the other 3 classes, which have quite similar performances. I remember discussions during SBC where so many complained about tasks being too easy, to arcade-like. SkyRace always was rather slow and hard. If I'd use only tasks fitting perfectly for Std.class I'm quite sure pilots from other classes would complain after 2-3flights.
BUT I see that it's true that so far I really didn't make one of these Std.class tasks at all and I'll try to improve that.
My big problem is that as soon as it gets a bit weaker Std. is losing so much compared to the others that every tricky tasks for other classes becomes an endless fight for std.class. So far I'm not quite sure how to solve that difference between Std. and the other 3 classes but I'm happy for every idea and it was also good from you to point out that problem!

About task length...yes that's really my weak point this year, I have to improve that. So far I had 4 tasks where I didn't find good TPs for shorter task, while keeping the general track...maybe using free TPs might solve that (if none of the external-PDA users complain???), or I just need to think a bit more about the tasks.
If Std.class people would like that we might set Std.class servers just for that class, but of course they'd immediately become very empty, so I guess that wouldn't be the best way.
We'll think about join, race-in...times and maybe reduce them slightly.
If the other pilots agree that air-start is preferred (feedback please ;) ) we can switch to airstart for most races.

So yes, my tasks aren't too good so far, especially for Std.class but please also see that it's not too easy to make tasks which fit for the ASW28 and the ASW22 :wink: .

3W

Post by 3W » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 am

Just because we have outlandings doesn't mean that there is an obvious reason to change things.
I personally like these really difficult tasks where many decisions are required to complete the task no matter which class.
Skyrace has always been like that - a mix of fast and slow tasks - making it realistic and interesting.
There are many races left of the comp, so maybe its not that big an issue :P

Until next week....,

Rgds, 3W
There's no place like cloudbase.

Post by 22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 am

IGC search and download you can find under IGC menu

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 am

I fully agree with 3W. That was very interesting and challenging task. And i would appreciate more tasks of such kind (despite i've crashed in this one).

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:45 am

Hi guys,

unfortunately didn't manage to get my original server in time and tried to connect to 1 hour later one, without success... wrong pw :( I was really looking for this one :)

I flew this task (and other club class tasks) offline last summer in Rieti simulating club class = asw28 without water... had avg speed of bit over 88km/h and task time +2 hours and was also struggling in the last leg a lot...

The tricky thing I have noticed, compared with RL weather and Condor weather in Rieti scenery, is that in Condor the thermals ends earlier than in reality...

JKK

Post by 22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 am

Jarmo K wrote: unfortunately didn't manage to get my original server in time and tried to connect to 1 hour later one, without success... wrong pw :( I was really looking for this one :)
Sry, but each server has own original password..I am planing new function for change timezone. U will get warning about your zone firstly, if u will be agree with warning, u will see normally briefing, but than change of zone wont be possible, if you doesnt take a look to briefing page and respect warning, you can switch once your time zone to other time. I think this solvent will be enough and I dont see any possibilities of chaeating by this way.

Redich

Post by Redich » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 am

kaleu wrote: We'll think about join, race-in...times and maybe reduce them slightly.
If the other pilots agree that air-start is preferred (feedback please ;) ) we can switch to airstart for most races.
Hi kaleu task setter :twisted: . . . na :wink:

I really can't see how this will do mush good for shorten fly-time. For my part I like the 15 min join time so I have a little time to look on task conditions and plan (where I will make my out landing :wink: ) a little before I getting into my seat and fly. I hate rush things - very bad to start flying when u feel rushed.

Start time, u for my part can cut down to 1 min if u holds on to the time window. I personally like to have time window (for my part I can live with a time window = 30 min) so u can do some strategies on the start. Remove time window will not do anything for shorten the time spend on task. People who do not have mush spare time can just start right after the 1 min start time is gone and then shorten as mush the can.

EDIT: Forgot - Airstarts is okay by me, no problem here.

Regards
B. Jensen

Markus22

Post by Markus22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:26 am

Hey guys,

the task yesterday was really hard, many many gliders landed out also ZZ and me. :D. On the way to TP2 we did a mistake. 7KM on the right of the TP was a cloud and we wanted to take it, but as we was there the cloud died. We turned TP2 and flew direction Riete in 1000m. We needed one more thermal to get it. We tried ridge climbing. I was so high that I could take the ridge thermal but ZZ didn't. 3-4KM on our right site there was born a cloud, we flew under the cloud and we knew "If we can climb up on this cloud then we get it". But we were too low to get the thermal. Now I was too low to flew back to the ridge so we flew direction Rieti and 30 KM before Rieti we landed out. :cry: We like the hard tasks but we found it was too late :). When the server started it was 14:30 and when the race began it was 15:15 and we landed out 18:00. So if we didn't want to take the cloud on TP2 then we were so high that we could take ther cloud on the ridge. That was our fault.

Bye Markus.

Post by 22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:35 am

If we will make shorter jointime, than airborne should be using, because tow start for full server consuming around 30 mins. But from other part waiting on a start grid and talking with friends and aerotow have own glamour. I think ppl who hasnt enough time, these can join to server 10 min before end of jointime.

I dont like airborne, because its unreal and a little stressing for me :lol: but for regatta it is good choice.

We can reduce max number of pilot on the server from 32 to 20 ie. than all pilots will be in the sky in right time and we can reduce jointime to 15 min.

15 min time for start gate open is OK imho, because it causing even of conditions to a similar level for all pilots.

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:45 am

If the start time was 13:00 h a lot the problems would not have occurred.

AAT is possible, but then every pilot must send his IGC, except crashers.

Fox9

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:13 am

I dont really see a problem with Std vs Open class. Its the same for all participants in Std class and they arent scored in mix with the other classes. So if they all land out, they have a distance day and can still be a valid race day. It also happens A LOT in comps that you cannot make it back home, because the freaking tasksetter was too optimistic (but that's another story) :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Markus22

Post by Markus22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 am

I think the serversize with 32 players is okay and has to stay. It's more fun when there are more player and when 15 gliders stand in front of you on the airfield then it's funny too and you can relax for a few minutes and talk with other players before a hard task like yesterday will start. But when the server will start with a condor time of 13:00 then it's okay too, because yesterday you flew into blue holes and you're very lucky with blue thermal then :) .

Bye Markus.

Post by 66 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 pm

3W wrote:Just because we have outlandings doesn't mean that there is an obvious reason to change things.
I personally like these really difficult tasks where many decisions are required to complete the task no matter which class.
Skyrace has always been like that - a mix of fast and slow tasks - making it realistic and interesting.
+1
and please hold the settings close to realaistic.