SR08/09 Day6

leonardzl

Post by leonardzl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Too bad I didn't have time to look here. Lots of IGC files posted before my server opened to help with planning :o

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm flying STD class & I have no problems with the task setting so far, I dont mind landing out the class is scored only against itself so whats the problem. If the tasks were impossible for the standard class to complete every week then that would be a problem but thats not been the case so far... anyway I enjoy a challenge :D

Post by 22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:40 pm

leonardzl wrote:...Lots of IGC files posted before my server opened to help with planning :o
what do you mean David?

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:06 pm

He means there were igc's available here on forum, posted earlier by the people who couldn't upload it, before the server he flew (3:00 UTC I think) was open. Should be no problem, as it takes all the fun from the simulator using this "tools" just to win..

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

Post by 22 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:14 pm

ah I see now, but I think it was race, where IGC could not help enoughly :lol:

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Freebird wrote:I'm flying STD class & I have no problems with the task setting so far, I dont mind landing out the class is scored only against itself so whats the problem. If the tasks were impossible for the standard class to complete every week then that would be a problem but thats not been the case so far... anyway I enjoy a challenge :D
Again agree by 200%. I'm just recalling one task in the RL competitions ~20 years ago. Due to incorrect weather forecast all 35 participants performed outlandings. It was std class competitions in Russia on Jantars Std. I was among them. In that task i've made my personal speed record - it took only 4.5 hours to fly 104 km ;). Never before and after i flew so slowly on any type of glider :). So if we want to have more realistic competitions but not just arcade then any complains here are useless. Imho.

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 pm

Just a little explanation for those not familiar with "realistic( = like RL )" tasks, like newcomers to soaring, etc.: on Championships and on normal flights near airfiled there is also strong weather sometimes!!! Soaring pilots aren't people that like to rub their butts on the ground all the time... :D Due to the weather model in Condor some adaptations have to be made.

Soaring competitions today are about speed, and when good weather is present (and should be on a Championship), depending on place, thermals of 3-4m/s aren't rare (at least in the country where I live).

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Polewka wrote: ...
Soaring competitions today are about speed, and when good weather is present (and should be on a Championship), depending on place, thermals of 3-4m/s aren't rare (at least in the country where I live).

Cya
You are lucky. In the region of my country where i live 3-4m/s thermals are superb! 5m/s is fantastic!!! Normal ones are 1-1.5 ;).

Bl4ckhawk

Post by Bl4ckhawk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:16 pm

my opinion is let it all how it is . outlanding isn`t a problem and i`m also flying std. class yesterday it was very realistic except the start time it was a little bit to late to make it round but it made very much fun

so karsten let everything how it is and dont mind on them who want acrade tasks

sry for my bad english
Reg: D-2899
CN : "RMM"

"Kleine Kühe - grosse Platzrunde; grosse Kühe - kleine Platzrunde!"

silver fox

Post by silver fox » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 pm

I agree - I thought it was a brilliant task. I'm still at the bottom of the pile and learning about racing and thought I'd started too cautiously - and then everyone started hitting the deck.

I'm kicking myself that a bad decision at the end caused me to land out - but I really enjoyed the task.

Any good competition should, of course, have a range of task types. Thanks for all the work that you're doing keeping it going - I get the feeling that you're kept a very busy boy! :D

Redich

Post by Redich » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:10 am

Hi all,

Hm, I do not hope anyone took my first post here as complain. I’m not so damn good in English :? so it’s a bit hard for me to express my self. I actually liked this task because this kind of whether I normal was doing pretty well in when I flew IRL (about 20 years) – I stopped RL some years back now.

My complain was more on my self. I have numerous of times in RL back then found my self trying keep up with open class (I was always flying in STD) on competition task and every time I got very depressed :wink: (you know - you start glide in same alt and soon he is way, way, waaay up there) so I should have learn my lesson here in this task. I found my self leaving a okay but pretty unstable week thermal way too soon just before 1tp with some open and 18 and 15m class pilots and of cause I soon got into BIG trouble :roll: and soon after found my self standing on the ground and as I can see from scoreboard . . . DEAD LAST :lol: (okay one more was after but he was crashed). So I was P…. on my self, no one else – I should have knowing better . . . just because this is fictive in Condor, I can STILL not miraculous keep up with open class in long glides. One thing is still the same, fictive or not . . . I still getting VERY “depressed” when I trying keep up with these long ears dudes :wink:

Have a nice Sunday
B. Jensen

mattmckrell

Task setting

Post by mattmckrell » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

I haven't seen anyone else speak up for it, but I'll add a vote for area tasking. In RL I almost exclusively fly area tasks, but I never get to practice them in Condor unless I just fly by myself offline.

Alpha Whisky

Re: Task setting

Post by Alpha Whisky » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:28 pm

mattmckrell wrote:I haven't seen anyone else speak up for it, but I'll add a vote for area tasking. In RL I almost exclusively fly area tasks, but I never get to practice them in Condor unless I just fly by myself offline.
Unfortunately Condor doesn't seem to be very good at scoring AATs. I have to agree, they can be great fun and they do really help to break up the gaggles. :lol:
ImageIf flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.....and the PW5 would be William Topaz McGonagall.

Post by 22 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 pm

I think AAT isnt good way because it gives advantage ppl with external PDA.

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 am

And it is also against one of the principles SkyRace: "get out of the server with your result (speed)". And Marek is also right, only few people can visualize the task in the right way and be fast (if I remember correct, Tim raced the AAT tasks w/o external AAT).

Cya

P.S.: please Condor Team, think about it in a future patch... :D If you need some help on the PDA calculation side, there are some Condor flying guys involved in the actual RL PDA soaring softwaren (John Wharington, for XCSoar and Mark Hawkins/Paul Gleeson, for SoaringPilot).
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP