SR08/09 Day3

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:05 pm

TimKuijpers wrote: But now tell me, why did the thermals on last leg were so much different than it was the whole task?
I almost landed out due to this on last leg (not being able to find thermals under Cu's). Having abandoned 2.4m lift in hope for a boomer that will get me the last 300m needed for FG. That one never came and I just barely managed to crawl through the finishline.

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:28 pm

22 wrote:
TimKuijpers wrote:.... needs more than just flying using the same old trick I always do in condor.
Tim, can you tell us some your old tricks, which you are doing always? :lol: :lol:
For flatlands ( more or less like we had last task, no real ridges to follow )
-Fly as close to track as possible
-Make long glides and long climbs to make centering more efficient.

But this will go wrong if you can't really predict the climbrates (like last task)
For instnace: if you find yourself low after a long glide, and want to climb, the thermal can be much less than what you expected.
Therefor you might have to reconsider those 2 standards.

Same goes for the 15m WeeX task; also unpredictable climb rates, made it more difficult to fly the task like you planned to.
(on my flight the first 70km weent way different from what I wanted.. )
Think positive, flaps negative.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 pm

In such conditions you just need to fly more from cloud to cloud, dancing between clouds, and taking the strongest lift once you find it. This means not going low though (if possible).

18m class is perfect for this, as the penalty for flying offtrack is less then in std or 15m class, but can still run 200kmh between thermals (as opposed to open class, but SOI was very competitive up until tp1 though, I found it had to shake him off, really had to pull all strings :twisted: to shake him loose; good flying Francois )