TherMap from Beda A. Sigrist

Everything regarding the Eastern Alps scenery...

Moderator: mosquito

Feiler

TherMap from Beda A. Sigrist

Post by Feiler » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 am

Found an interesting project (http://www.aerodrome-gruyere.ch/thermap/index.html) for real life soaring, which could be also very interesting for more realistic thermal positions in Condor. They use a geo modell for predicting places where thermals can be found in alpine area depending on date and time. I think this maps could improve the realism of eastern alps and other alpine scenerys very well, when used for thermal mapping.

Martin

Uros
Condor Team

Post by Uros » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Hello Feiler, interesting article. Condor uses similar principles in the upcoming Patch 9.

Best regards,
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

mac

Post by mac » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Does it mean that thermals will not be anymore where the scenary creator supposed they had to be, but there will be computed by Condor itself?

If the model would be as good as the most of Condor's models, then I think it would be a massive improvement (and hopefully the end of +11 m/s thermals in a day with moderate to good weather...) :)

EDIT: what above is not to be taken in any way as a criticism to scenary creators, who are all doing fantastic job on a voluntary basis... but just as a wish to have more realistic flying conditions! :)

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:44 pm

I think Uros is means that the thermals in the mountains are going to be calculated, rather than 'told' by the thermal map. The flatlands should be uneffected.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:00 pm

desktopsimmer wrote:The flatlands should be uneffected.
Well.. they are unaffected by that change to the model..but..