Congratulations Mosquito !

Everything regarding the Eastern Alps scenery...

Moderator: mosquito

Simicro

Congratulations Mosquito !

Post by Simicro » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:51 am

Hi Mosquito,

The stats on Speedbattle has been reset but I guess that you scenery has now more than 3 000 downloads and even more. A very nice success !

I could finally fly quickly over Eastern Alps yesterday and WOW ! I could notice that some textures are new and they are superb. For example the water is much better than Lesce Bled and one can see the difference of depth depending on the location. It's good to see the lakes. By the way, does the Scenery Toolkit allow placement of rivers and is it hard to implement ?

I also like the placement of the 3D objects such as the village on the "cliff" near the lake of Zell am See. And the landclass (distribution of textures on the map) is superb, it looks realistic in its complexity. Maybe in a future patch you can improve the blending between the airfield and the landscape, there is too much contrast in my humble opinion.

Above all I'm "dreaming" when I fly over the Alps and your scenery really brings fresh new air. Congratulations for your hard work !

Stefke

Post by Stefke » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Yes! I totally agree with you Simicro

Wolfgang, can you tell us how much time you spend in doing this scenery?

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:09 pm

thanks again :D

until now it took most of my freetime in the last 3 weeks...

But i've already found out just too many bugs, and it's a bit a shame that i released it at such an early stage of development :oops:
Last edited by mosquito on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:48 pm

Congrats from me too. awesome job you did !

Thanks a lot for your efforts. As you are doing this for free, do you have a paypal account we could donate to ? Or an amazon wishlist or something ? I'm sure a lot of people would like to show their gratitude by making a small donation or gift.. paying you a tow this summer or something :)

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:49 pm

Vertigo wrote:Congrats from me too. awesome job you did !

Thanks a lot for your efforts. As you are doing this for free, do you have a paypal account we could donate to ? Or an amazon wishlist or something ? I'm sure a lot of people would like to show their gratitude by making a small donation or gift.. paying you a tow this summer or something :)
i must admit....i dont really have an idea how to set up something like this :D i have a paypal account, yes..but not more... :D

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Just publish the email address of your paypal, and we can donate..

BTW, I'm still sitting on a non trivial ammount of paypal money donated to LLC for the CDZ debacle.. I'm a bit annoyed by this, as I don't know if it will come to a trial or not. I'd really like to refund if this goes nowhere, but I may not know for certain for another 6+ months :oops:

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:56 pm

my email adress?

uhm,

qwadrat@gmx.de

sorry i just dont know a thing about paypal, i just use it for ebay sometimes :D

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 pm

mosquito wrote:thanks again :D

until now it took most of my freetime in the last 3 weeks...

But i've already found out just too many bugs, and it's a bit a shame that i released it at such an early stage of development :oops:
I have only spent a little time on developing scenery and I can appreciate the work involved. You have done an outstanding job and I have enjoyed my flights in your scenery. I suspect it will be a long time before I will have anything close to your high quality scenery. Thanks so much for all your work.
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

thermal

Post by thermal » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:57 pm

@Mosquito:

Indeed, awesome job. Congratulations. Vertigo can tell you how to use your PayPal account for donations. :D

Today, I looked up my >20 year old RL Austrian flying map for a "sentimental journey" and guess what?
The Alps didn't change a bit after all those years. Great!

I found one bug, although I'm not sure if it is in the scenery or in Condor.
I started in Noetsch, crossed over to Zell am See and headed east on my way to Scharnstein.
Near NiederOblarn I saw the end of the scenery coming up and decided to see what would happen.
In previous versions on the Slovenian Map, you just got stuck near the border of the map.
In Condor version 1.07 with the EasternAlps map, Condor "bluescreens" for 30 seconds with a Floating point error and exits.

I will send the Flighttrack and Bluescreen to Support, for them to see if it's a Condor problem.
I will also post this in the Support forum as a warning for Tasksetters.

@Vertigo:

I would sit a bit longer on the CDZ pile, until you are sure you don't need it for that purpose.
Even then, before the start of LLC 2007, you could organize a Poll what to do with it.
One of the options could be to invest some of it in hardware/software for the LLC organization or even as a compensation for the awesome job you guys are doing on this event.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:31 pm

thermal wrote:@Mosquito:

Indeed, awesome job. Congratulations. Vertigo can tell you how to use your PayPal account for donations. :D
Sure.. I'll donate to Mosquite for you. Just send me whatever you want to donate.. through.. paypal ? :D
@Vertigo:

I would sit a bit longer on the CDZ pile, until you are sure you don't need it for that purpose.
Even then, before the start of LLC 2007, you could organize a Poll what to do with it.
One of the options could be to invest some of it in hardware/software for the LLC organization or even as a compensation for the awesome job you guys are doing on this event.
Agreed on the first part, since if I where CDZ, I'd wait until LLC2006 was over before starting a trial. If nothing happens by this summer, I'll simply mail whomever donated to ask what they want me to do with it.

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:47 pm

Mosquito, thx for that outstanding work!
It's so cool to know the landscape from RL and to get a kind of déjà vues all time now :lol:
Cheers Martin
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!