My 3point IR LEDs model for FreeTrack for less than $20

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

dpluigi

My 3point IR LEDs model for FreeTrack for less than $20

Post by dpluigi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:48 am

For those of use who found TrackIR too expensive, with a cheap webcam and 1 or 3 InfraRed Leds and can made your own head tracking for flight simulators or other applications using FreeTrack.

Here is a link to my post on the English forum of Free-Track:
http://www.free-track.net/forum/index.p ... age=2#6772

You might need to create and account and log-in tp see the pictures as is the case with Condor forums.

Note that the release of FreeTrack 2.2 is coming up soon and it will provided a faster and stable tracking even when Led points are momentarily off the camera frame/field of view. Version 2.2 will allow also the use of a Wii remote instead of a webcam which requires very little CPU usage and extrapolated FPS of the tracking of up 100fps or more and really good built visible light filter.

The added advantage of using a Wii remote instead of a webcam (with weak IR filter or removed IR filter) is that point coordinates do not need to be calculated by FreeTrack since they are calculated by the Wii gpu internally.

This point model including a basic webcam comes down to be very cheap to make under $20. I bought a webcam pack with two webcams for $25 called "EZ Video Chatkit", their EZ CAM IV webcam model. The good news was that the InfraRed filter was weak enough that it did not need to be removed and I used exposed color film (two layers) as visible light filter and I was ready to rock and roll in Condor.

I have been using FreeTrack for few months and it a very good alternative to commercial products. I am hooked and you'll be too.

Enjoy, :D

Donat-Pierre
CN 269
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dpluigi on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Alpha Whisky

Post by Alpha Whisky » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Cool, looks good, what is it made of? And how do you attach it to the headset?
ImageIf flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.....and the PW5 would be William Topaz McGonagall.

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:36 pm

So its not just us Track IR users that wear strange head gear :D

dpluigi

Post by dpluigi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi Alpha Whisky,

I hope all is well in Scotland and you started the new year well. I am not sure if I replied to you (PM) already, so I apologize for the slow reply.

The material as was described in the link to Free-track.net forum, is a Black Foam Board of 3/16" (5mm). It is very light and very easy to work with (i.e. to cut, glue, feed through wiring).

Although I used my for many months as is and it still did not break apart. I would recommend not only to glue the LED but also to coat the finished foam board mount all around with a coating of epoxy of Araldite glue, viscous enough to make a 1mm layer.
It will remain very light but would last a lifetime by preventing the foam board to compress where held often or brushing/compressed against the headset, which depends how you mount it.
I am planning to do this for my second set when I get a chance but it is not a priority since mine work well.

Also I totally recommend using a Nintendo Wii remote instead of a webcam for the tracking. For $35.99 on amazon.com it is worth it. Much better and smoother tracking than with a webcam and almost no tweaking needed (i.e. no need to change auto-exposure, ...).

Cheers!
Donat
Alpha Whisky wrote:Cool, looks good, what is it made of? And how do you attach it to the headset?
ImageImage

kaiyara

Re: My 3point IR LEDs model for FreeTrack for less than $20

Post by kaiyara » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 am

I appreciate all the posts in this forum... thanks everyone... Have a good day.

BeastFromTheEast

Re: My 3point IR LEDs model for FreeTrack for less than $20

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 am

I have used Freetrack in the past: I don't know if it still supports a Track IR output which is required to interface it with the game.

Within its limits Freetrack works quite well but it starts to struggle when you approach those limits. I found an IMU to be a better solution, but considerably more development is required if you go down this route.

Ian
You can take the Beast from the East
But never the East from the Beast
Beastly Soaring - Tuesday nights, on the ServerOfTheBeast
Competition number IFC, aircraft registration number G-CHQR

Finaaeva

My 3point IR LEDs model for FreeTrack for less than 20

Post by Finaaeva » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:39 am

Yes i had one soft reset automatic and some user from French forum who use last version have soft reset too.
I will know about the V2 if its the same or not for the other maybe today or tomorrow.