Condor can`t switch Intel HD Graphics

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

JendaMuky

Condor can`t switch Intel HD Graphics

Post by JendaMuky » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I have trouble with my laptop MSI GE 60. Condor can't switch to my graphic card Nvidia Geforce GTX640M. I have profile for condor in 3D setup in Nvidia control center, but nothing has changed. Do you have any advices for me please ? I am just littlebit frustrated. Thank you very much

wickid

Re: Condor can`t switch Intel HD Graphics

Post by wickid » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Right click on the exe and choose with what graphics processor you want to run the program. You can also choose to run it with the Nvidea by default.
PH-1504, KOE

uxbridge

Post by uxbridge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Seems that on some computers it simply doesn't work. I have HP Envy With NVidia GT 740M and Intel HD 4600. Neither setting NVidia as default graphics in NVidia control panel nor a profile for Condor does work for me. Selecting the GPU in right click menu didn't either. Btw. after recent NVidia driver upgrade, I don't have that menu anymore. Other programs I have installed don't have that issue and use whatever GPU I select for them. Only Condor always shows HD 4600 in the setup menu regardless what I do. Using HDMI output doesn't help. I have Win 8.1 installed. Tried to start Condor in compatibility modes (Win 8, Win 7, Vista). No joy.

rainabba

Post by rainabba » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:21 pm

uxbridge wrote:Seems that on some computers it simply doesn't work. I have HP Envy With NVidia GT 740M and Intel HD 4600. Neither setting NVidia as default graphics in NVidia control panel nor a profile for Condor does work for me. Selecting the GPU in right click menu didn't either. Btw. after recent NVidia driver upgrade, I don't have that menu anymore. Other programs I have installed don't have that issue and use whatever GPU I select for them. Only Condor always shows HD 4600 in the setup menu regardless what I do. Using HDMI output doesn't help. I have Win 8.1 installed. Tried to start Condor in compatibility modes (Win 8, Win 7, Vista). No joy.
Sager laptop with GTX 980m and Intel 4600. Same issue here. In particular: http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=16705

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:49 am

Hi this a repeat post of one I posted in the thread mentioned in the post above:

Ive actually been through this all before (setting up the graphics that is) DOH! :oops:
I recently re-installed condor due to a corrupted scenery (one Im building - rather inexpertly, but its coming together) and updated my NVidia driver so lost all the settings.

The thing to do - and this for all you out there using laptops - is to first make your NVidia (or whatever) graphics card the default card, you can do this in the Nvidia control panel or through the main Control Panel. The condor Set Up screen will still show Intel as the graphics processor but just ignore it.

Then, you don't need to go into BIOS (which is a bit beyond GUI types like me) use the NVidia control panel to set things up specific to Condor itself:
Go to: Mange 3D settings / Programme settings, add Condor to the list as it wont show if you have it correctly installed outside of the main Programmes folder.
change 'Antialiasing mode' to 'application controlled'.
change 'Power management mode' to 'Prefer consistent performance'.
change 'Texture filtering quality' to 'Performance'
lastly turn 'Vertical sync' on, set to 'Use 3D application setting'

The most important setting above is the 'Prefer consistent performance' one - this keeps the clock speed in check and stops it from overheating (which is what makes it freeze up - to recover and cool).

With my settings as above Condor goes from 50-60 FPS and freezing every ten seconds to running cleanly - I still only get about 85-90 FPS and occasionally there is a very brief pause with FPS dropping off but no freezing at all. I only experience this (insignificant) pause when circling or going really fast and using the high hat a lot simultaneously on HD scenery.

In conclusion I'd have to say that its our equipment that's lacking and nothing really to do with Condor itself! Laptops simply aren't really designed for running Gaming software. That said, all of the machines mentioned above are higher spec than mine so should produce even better frame rates and smoother performance with the correct settings.

One other thing that will help is to detune Condor a bit by lowering the quality of mesh fade out, lessening the number of trees, lessening the visible distance etc - go through the set-up screen to see how you can lighten the load on the GPU.

thbaero

Post by thbaero » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:52 am

Hi all,

I am new here and have set up Condor successfully on my Asus N551JW-CN096H Notebook / i7-4720HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD / GTX960 (4GB) / Windows 10 Home http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/asus+n551jw+cn096h

Condor will not start with the NVIDIA GPU.

I tried the below with my HDMI external screen connected as well as without.

I updated the NVIDIA Driver to Version 355.98 (22.09.2015).

I changed settings in the NVIDIA Control panel:

Global Settings:
- Prefer NVIDIA GPU
- Standard-Settings

Program Settings for Condor:
- Prefer NVIDIA GPU
- Energymanagementmode: Consistent Power prefered (sorry if the translation is not correct. My NVIDIA control panel speaks german... :-/ )
- Texture Filter - Anisotrophe Samplingoptimization: On
- Texture Quality: High Performance
- Testure Trilenear Filter: On
- Vertical Synchronisation: Use Settings for 3D-Applications

But Condor will not start with the NVIDIA GPU.

I even tried to disable the Intel GPU in the device-manager, but then the computer used some basic GPU and still not the NVIDIA.

In the BIOS I can not disable the Intel GPU (the option is not available).

Most of the time Condor runs just nicely with the Intel GPU.
But I really wonder why it doesn't use the NVIDIA GPU.
I think it would help greatly to use that GPU in order to run sceneries like ALPS XL or Sout West Germany.

Does anybody have further tips to get Condor running with the NVIDIA GPU?

Grüße
Thomas

uxbridge

Post by uxbridge » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:22 pm

No Thomas, I also tried everything which was suggested in these threads and nothing worked. On my machine Condor neither see NVidia graphics nor use it and frame rate on some sceneries is quite slow (18-25 fps). I am afraid, there is no solution for this at the moment.

thbaero

Post by thbaero » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi uxbridge,

thanks for the reply... kind of annoying. Luckily with a little bit of performance-settings (aka decrease of detail) the intel GPU seems to work quite well to. Unfortunately I had a "out of memory" crash today after flying for 1 hour in Alps XL... that really sucks...

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Did you reduce the visible distance in alps_XL?

thbaero

Post by thbaero » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 pm

yeah, did so after the crash... still annoys me though, that I have a GTX 960M with 4GB RAM on my fingertips and that I can not use it :roll:

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:28 pm

The set-up page in Condor does not reflect the change to NVidia graphics card. If your FPS (press 'shift+D' to display) goes up after changing the settings it's using the graphics card. Mylaptop goes from 40 FPS to 120 after the change of settings.