Oculus Rift experience using your Android phone

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

loxai

Oculus Rift experience using your Android phone

Post by loxai » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi!

I've just joined the forum because I wanted to share my current VR project, which any of you can try if you have an Android phone. Android Rift basically transforms your phone into an Oculus Rift, and it works pretty well with Condor (I was getting about 20fps with current version, but have some improvements in the works that are already giving me 30-35fps). Your results will vary depending on your hardware and configuration (e.g. HD resolution works quite slow for me, but maybe you have a better router/PC/phone that gets it going smoothly).
It is recommended that you buy/make a headset like Durovis Dive or Google Cardboard (you can get a kit online for less than 10 pounds). But try the app first and then consider the headset.
If you are interested, follow this link with instructions and downloads:

http://oddsheepgames.com/?page_id=134

Please note this is an early test version and might not work with your setup (if you give me the details I'll try to make sure it does), and it requires some tweaking but, as I said, my experience so far has been really cool (I'm really excited with the project). Check out this demo video I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994j9agMc0s

I've also tested it with some other games, like Arma 2 and Rise of Flight (there are not that many tracking supporting games). Feel free to try other games you might have. And let me know your experiece with the app!

Finally, I have to say I lost my license for Condor and have to use an old pirated version, which is really disappointing. If you have any idea how to get a new one (without purchasing again) I would be glad to hear. I did contact the seller and the dev support but that didn't help. I can assure you I can prove my purchase with Amazon order (from about two years ago)... or showing myself in a picture with the CD, and the day's newspaper (and a ransom note? :) ).

Cheers!

Lugger

Re: Oculus Rift experience using your Android phone

Post by Lugger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:20 am

Interesting Loxai,
how did you try extenze and turn you android phone into a vr headset? Got a tutorial?
Last edited by Lugger on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loxai

Post by loxai » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:48 pm

haven't been here for a long while :)
Details on how to use are at trinusvr.com. Basically you use Trinus PC and connect it to Trinus Android, setup different options (depending on your game, connection type, etc. more info in the Help section of Trinus PC. Get a Google Cardboard (many variations ranging from $5 to $100) and put the phone in then start the game.

SonGrant

Post by SonGrant » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:26 am

Oh great!

hmm.. I think I want try your VR Headset idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna check this out.
http://www.thegoodgears.com/VR-Headset/

MarkS

Post by MarkS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 am

Ive tried Condor with Trinus VR before . Just too much lag when you turn your head , ( which causes nausea ) to be a good experience and any case its not 3d, and poor resolution . Fun to experiment with though .