USB to Gameport Adapters

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

acrodave

USB to Gameport Adapters

Post by acrodave » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:21 am

I have several older 15pin joysticks, which I really like, Particilarly the CH Pro. In trying to use any of the usb-game adapters I can find (I have several, including the Rockfire, and a couple of different Radio Shack ones), I have found that they all suffer from the same problem..... They count in 4's! From zero, the next increment is + or - 4, then 8, etc.... This isn't really a problem except near neutral, where one ofter finds that Zero results in a slight roll in one direction, and the next increment of control is a slight roll in the other direction. You, simply, cannot trim the airplane for level flight, either in Roll, Pitch, or Yaw. :(

I know this is the USB adapter, as the same joystick plugged in to a regular game port, on an older machine, tracks, and trims, perfectly. Until I got a Win 7 64bit computer, I could always put a sound card with a game port into the computer, and was ok, but now, I'm kinda forced to use those USB-Game adapters, or a USB stick. I don't like most of the "Fighter Pilot" sticks which are in use now, as they have an endless supply of buttons, bells, and whistles, but none of them have simple trim levers on the stick.

Does anyone know of a USB-game adapter which works really well, and doesn't have the problem described above?

In the meantime, I'm trying to get used to the MSFFB-2 that I would be embarassed to say what I paid for at a yard sale. I really like it, except that I can't get enough elevator trim to cover the speed range I normally use. I realize the trim limit is created in Condor, but when the stick has it's own trim, you can get almost any amount of trim you could want, particularly by combining the stick trim with the trimmer in the program.

I also realize most people are thinking I'm a bit crazy for wanting to get my older joystick to work when I have a perfectly good MSFFB-2 to use, but....... Hmmmnnn, maybe they are right! (I really want more elevator trim travel....)

Dave

Bidfordreynolds

Re: USB to Gameport Adapters

Post by Bidfordreynolds » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 pm

I had a similar issue, I bought a ffb1 cheap due to game port to make into custom controls. Anyway faced with the same questions I turned to an Arduino solution. If you can use a solder iron google Arduino game port adapter and you will get all the advice you need. The one I built up in prototype board worked fine. Use a pro mini and you could fit it into a small package. Good luck 👍

Kessa

Post by Kessa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Is the "Rockfire" adapter you mention the "USB Nest Joystick Converter"?
If not, it might be worth trying that as that has a setting (Mode 2) which according to the instructions is suitable specifically for "CH Flightstick Pro"

I'm currently using it for my Saitek Cyborg 3D Digital and trim seems to work OK.
Not all of the buttons work (only 4 on the handgrip, the HAT, and the trim lever) and the Force Feedback sadly doesn't work, but at least it does mean I can continue to use my Saitek as it's comfy and robust.

Oh, 1 other thing which might help.... My Saitek has an "Analogue" and "Digital" switch located on the bottom. If you don't know it's there you wouldn't know to change it to "Analogue" (apparently the USB Nest doesn't work fully with "Digital"), so it might be worth seeing if your joystick has something similar? :?

Good luck!
Condor Competition ID - TK2

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

Original post is 5 years old...
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team