Oculus Rift

Which joystick to buy? Which graphic card? Which...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

HornetSk

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by HornetSk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 pm

I have little bit experimenting on my old XP machine, It is shame that with more than 10y old hardware, 6600 GT card and old drivers (too 3d drivers) Condor is working problemless on two panels in real 3D! the panels are 5,5" and 1280x800 native LCD panels VGA or DVI or HDMI input, down or upscaler included. The main problem is to move two pictures together (as head mounted display with two panels). I want to use Fresnel lenses and Fresnel prisms, will see the result. The main problem with Condor in 3d is that it is working (and really very nice in 3D) only on old XP and old 3D drivers maximally with 7800 card from NVidia. O pictures you can see dualview setup, and different L/R pictures on displays, they are rendered twice for R and L eye. We are 10 y later and this is IMPOSSIBLE ! This is the PROGRESS ? :-( OMG !

Hope that in Condor V2 (nothing new? :-( )Rift support will be included HOPEEEEEEEEEE

BeastFromTheEast

Headtracking

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 am

I have been using an IMU based headtracker for a few years, but I designed and built the circuitry myself. The data is brought into the PC via the application PPJoyCom, with GlovePIE then used to simulate a Track IR setup.

Can post further details if you want, although TBH, I have shown my setup to a few people and they have been remarkably underwhelmed by it.

Ian
You can take the Beast from the East
But never the East from the Beast
Beastly Soaring - Tuesday nights, on the ServerOfTheBeast
Competition number IFC, aircraft registration number G-CHQR

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:51 pm

A VR system like OR sucks because you can't see your own hands, keyboard, external PDA, etc...
You will need something like Windows HoloLens...

Peet

Post by Peet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 pm

.....and, ask yourself what your eyes and brains will do after two hours attached to the Oculus.
I've had my hands for two months on a DK2. It's fantastic but for condor purpose....nope

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:52 pm

We will see in future but I think this sim is awsome in 3d and VR for sim is the best. I saw condor in 3d with headtracking and projection and it is absolutely different from 2d screen. You are there....hope Condor V2 will be working in 3d....

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:00 am

Peet wrote:.....and, ask yourself what your eyes and brains will do after two hours attached to the Oculus.
Its supposed to make most people feel sick fairly quickly, even John Carmack has admitted its one of its big problems.

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 pm

NO. When you can fly in space for hours without problems (Elite dangerous...etc) and you are in 3D cockpit it is not there any problem, believe me...

In 2-3 years you will see...:-) the difference is huge between 2D screen and VR 3D.

BeastFromTheEast

Re: Oculus Rift / VR goggles generally

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:03 pm

I have been using FatShark VR goggles for the past four years and clocked up quite a few hours behind them. As discussed above, I have developed my own headtracker for them as I was unconvinced about the IR LED approach most VR setups favour.

I've not had any problems with sickness as such, but you can feel quite disorientated if you wear them for more than an hour or so (particularly walking around post flight). You learn to feel your way around the keyboard, and in any case, most modern joysticks have enough buttons to allow most of the flight controls to be on the controller itself.

The FatShark goggles have a lowish resolution (640X480) which means text can be impossible to read and some of the instruments (particularly the PDA) can be difficult to discern, even with panel zoom enabled. I believe HD goggles are being developed but the last time I checked, there was no word as to when they were due on sale. More fundamentally, the optics are designed for perfect eyesight, which few of us are blessed with. I believe a very limited range of corrective lenses are available but you have to disassemble the goggles to fit them.

Ian
You can take the Beast from the East
But never the East from the Beast
Beastly Soaring - Tuesday nights, on the ServerOfTheBeast
Competition number IFC, aircraft registration number G-CHQR

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Google Search : VR health issues

dawb

Post by dawb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:43 pm

I have flow the Sutton bank Sim (not Condor) with Oculus rift and it was better than anyone could wish for.

The sense of beeing there is very strong. It's much better (IMHO) as you can look down at the airfield and judge height and angle properly.

I did get a strange sensation when throwing the glider around the sky as you are expecting high and low G, but it never happens. It did not make me feel ill at all.

The only think that would make it 100% is some sort of glove that would tell the sim what your hands were doing. Then you would not be grasping in thin air for the controls as you could see them in the sim.

Anyone wishing to have a go can book an hour in the sim (£15 per hour or £7.50 per half). However, I'm not sure they are going to let people use the rift without prior arrangement.

https://www.ygc.co.uk/flight-experiences/simulator/

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:09 pm

I briefly tested the HTC vive on the PC of a nephew of mine. What I found perhaps most impressive was the rendering of the dual controllers you hold in your hands. Their position and orientation and motion is rendered so believably that it was weird you could not see your own hands. It was as if your hands had become transparent.

But seeing that, I cant imagine it being very difficult to make some sort of glove that you put on, that lets the system "see" your hands, and render them onscreen. That of course, is little help if the keyboard, joystick or some form of virtual cockpit controls arent rendered too. Sooner or later, we'll have all that.

In the mean time, I think a sim like condor is arguably the best possible case for VR systems. Unlike combat sims, there isnt a lot of controls you need to access, with 8 buttons on your stick, you can do 99% of what you need during a flight.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Gen 2 VR will have at least pass through stereoscopic cameras, so even if hand tracking doesn't develop quickly enough (it's already pretty advanced) we will be able to make fully viable 'mixed reality' cockpits using a blend of greenscreen and physical cockpit.

Once hand tracking is a thing it's a no brainer of course, and also cockpit building gets really simple after that because you won't need anything to be rigged with switches or probably even sensors as they become kinematic mockups to give you something tactile to work with while the events would all be digital.

Immersion is key, and full 'body transfer' is the holy grail which almost in our reach.

MarkS

Post by MarkS » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 am

sisu1a wrote: Once hand tracking is a thing it's a no brainer of course, and also cockpit building gets really simple after that because you won't need anything to be rigged with switches or probably even sensors as they become kinematic mockups to give you something tactile to work with while the events would all be digital.

Immersion is key, and full 'body transfer' is the holy grail which almost in our reach.
I'm already using ULTRAWINGS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyTbrk6d4Y] for the Oculus Rift . Ok its a bit arcade but it uses the Touch controllers so you see your hands in VR and move a virtual stick to control the aircraft. The vibration feedback in the controllers make it feel like you are holding a real; stick with weight . I don't see why the `virtual stick ' couldn't be a real stick with springs - you just wouldn't need to connect the stick to anything .

I've spent some time in virtual reality flying the Aerosoft ASK 21 in FSX using the Fly Inside FSX plugin for Oculus Rift . With the latest graphics cards and using `super-sampling ' ( where the view is rendered to a higher resolution than the display ) , all the dials and gauges are perfectly readable . The resolution is no issue . I can say honestly having played Condor on 2D monitor for years that flight Sims are made for VR - the effect is very powerful and the felling of immersion ios 10 X more effective . The cost of the Oculus Rift and hand controllers is now down to $600. I predict than in a few years time , anybody that can use VR for flight simmimg will do it - its really that good. Until you experience the concept of VR immersion properly it is pointless to make comparisons with 2D gaming . And with the 90hz frame rate , i can say that I experience no nausea other than perhaps doing aerobatics where the inner ear signal does not match what your eyes are seeing .

I'm so glad to see V2 will be out in the next year . I really hope it can be adapted to work in VR using a 3RD party injector like VorpX. Bring it on .

sebbil

Post by sebbil » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi,
i fly also with oculus hours and hours ...

with no Problem, Aerofly 2, DCS, FSX:SE and X-Plane 11 ...never want to Sim without a VR 3D !

And since i have this and my Simulator seat ..

0 minute`s with Condor ....

flyingtux

Post by flyingtux » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi guys,

I have a DK2 and developed a software to use Condor with the rift. It's still a prototype but working not so bad.
No modification in the original software, so network competitions are ok too... ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/VR4Condor-144447949510388/

Best Regards,