Motion Simulator Cost to Purchase vs Build

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

CaptStephan

Motion Simulator Cost to Purchase vs Build

Post by CaptStephan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Hello,

New to the forum and working out the plans for a simulator to put in my basement. While I was searching out some details on how to build the cockpit, I got an ad on Safari for this thing: https://www.yawvr.com

I think you would have to get the Pro version, so we are talking $2k US here. Not cheap. Then you would have to add the VR goggles, joystick, foot pedals, and I would think two other input leavers for air brakes and landing gear. There seem to be several flight simulator combination packages for about $500 and then the VR system for about $400. Then add in a really good gaming PC to handle the system (maybe $1,500) and I think you are quickly at $4,500!!

Seems the $2k seat is a pretty expensive addition and maybe could be dropped, but I would really like the "feel" of motion.

Thoughts on just buying this?

Thanks,
Stephan

k6chris

Re: Motion Simulator Cost to Purchase vs Build

Post by k6chris » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Certainly an interesting concept. There are two problems I think, firstly the way G is simulated and secondly the issue of physical vs rendered motion. These types of simulators are very good at the rapid changes of G you might experience on a roller coaster or rally car but not so much the more gentle and longer term constant G you might get whilst turning or acceleating in a glider. If you look at the videos of people using the motion simulator, it's all action and rapid change of direction, because it does that well. Not sure how realistic non-frantic gliding would be??

The second issue of motion, may have already been accounted for within Condor if the platform is supported, but is where both your physical head movement and the simulated VR head movement combine to give you too much movement. Imagine a situation where you are about to start an aerotow, the acceletaion would be simulated in the platform by rotating you body backwards, which would result in the secondary effect of pointing your head (and VR headset) upward, which the VR simulator would render (unhelpfully) as you looking skyward. If Condor 2 has netted out the motion of the simulator, then it should work OK, but not sure if this is the case? Devs??

But yes, I would love to give it a try!

CaptStephan

Post by CaptStephan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 am

Really good thoughts. I had assumed it would have to be dampened somehow to "smooth it out" a bit. I agree it was designed for more rapid movements, but just thought it would work OK.

I had not thought of the VR issue you bring up. That one is something I will need to think about if I build something myself. I definitely want to simulate a winch launch and that seems to be an issue here.

Without VR and without a single screen in front of you, I have not seen a way to project a realistic view onto a realistic cockpit. Maybe that is around and I have just not found it. I was thinking of finding an old glider and building a simulator from the cockpit (there is a glider club that did that over in the UK, but still using VR. I definitely want to be sure any simulator rig I build is realistic in the "look what is around you" arena. That just seems important to me.

Thanks,
Stephan

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:46 am

k6chris wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm
Certainly an interesting concept. There are two problems I think, firstly the way G is simulated and secondly the issue of physical vs rendered motion. These types of simulators are very good at the rapid changes of G you might experience on a roller coaster or rally car but not so much the more gentle and longer term constant G you might get whilst turning or acceleating in a glider. If you look at the videos of people using the motion simulator, it's all action and rapid change of direction, because it does that well. Not sure how realistic non-frantic gliding would be??

The second issue of motion, may have already been accounted for within Condor if the platform is supported, but is where both your physical head movement and the simulated VR head movement combine to give you too much movement. Imagine a situation where you are about to start an aerotow, the acceletaion would be simulated in the platform by rotating you body backwards, which would result in the secondary effect of pointing your head (and VR headset) upward, which the VR simulator would render (unhelpfully) as you looking skyward. If Condor 2 has netted out the motion of the simulator, then it should work OK, but not sure if this is the case? Devs??

But yes, I would love to give it a try!
If you use a VR device outside-in (Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index ...) and attach the sensor to the platform, the problem is solved.
But the real trouble with the motion platforms in flight sims is tha you need a good program to simulate the turns, for example.
In a COORDINATE TURN, you should feel as you are centered in the seat, but the horizon is inclined...
The G forces in flight sims usually are simulated with pressured cushions, and the pilot must be attached to the chair...