multiple monitors vs. VR googles

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

sergsk

Re: multiple monitors vs. VR googles

Post by sergsk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Just set up Top Hat Soaring with VR goggles (Oculus) last night and it works great, except for a small issue: I'm using VoiceAttack for sending inputs to the Top Hat, and in order to send inputs to a window under Windows OS it must get focus, so the focus has to be switched back to Condor afterwards, or all the controls are lost.

It's doable in VoiceAttack and works more or less satisfactorily now after some tinkering, but during the times when focus is gone from Condor all its sounds are muted. It's mostly just annoying, but also causes suboptimal thermalling and/or missed lifts when you just touch them briefly while muted.

Uros, OXO, could you make it possible to keep sounds on even when Condor is not in focus? At least as a configuration option?

Also, I know that NMEA sentences are not sent if PDA is disabled, and this is to prevent cheating in no-PDA competitions I guess, but could you add an option of the PDA voluntarily removal from cockpit when it is enabled by flight plan?

Thanks,

echofive

Post by echofive » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:00 am

If there is an instructor involved then VR is useless. The instructor is outside of that "reality".
VR is good solely for solo simulation.

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:29 pm

I wonder what it would do if we plug 2 Occulus rift on the same machine, normally the 2 pilots should be in the same cockpit and therefore see the same thing

echofive

Post by echofive » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 pm

The instructor would have to be accumulating a sense of where the student is looking, what the student is paying attention to, and so on. That's hard enough in real life. Harder in somewhat connected virtual environments.
The instructor would need to be able to point out stuff in the visual scene. Arguably difficult in real flight. With VR you could set up some point system with a cursor in the visual field. With monitors, or a projected view, the instructor can simply touch the image. Or wave at it convincingly with more freedom than in real flight.