Any low cost solutions to a trim wheel or large slider ?

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Mas

Any low cost solutions to a trim wheel or large slider ?

Post by Mas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:38 am

hey guys .I was looking at the Saitek Cessna trim wheel but its neither cheap nor available - is there any low cost off the shelf solution ? I guess a trim slider would also be ok but it would need to have reasonable travel like a real one .

janjansen

Re: Any low cost solutions to a trim wheel or large slider ?

Post by janjansen » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 am

I think mine cost less than 5 euro :)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3124839

Mas

Post by Mas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:35 pm

I downloaded a file there and its a whole lot of 3D printed plans for knobs etc.

Do you have any specifics of how i can build a trim wheel or slider system that will work with Condor ?

I can see you have a great investment in a hardware cockpit.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 pm

It is 3d printed. The design however, is not very suitable to mount on a desk, because its fairly tall and it doesnt have a case (trivial to make one though, and you might want to lay it flat and angle the trim knob by 90 degree). If you want to build something based on my design, you need trim1, trim2, trim3 and trim4 parts. You also need 3 ball bearings (dont recall size right now, but standard skateboard bearings) a 100mm linear potentiometer and some M3 screws. I can provide links if you need them.

For the electronics you can use an arduino, or leobodnard controller if you want to keep it simple:
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=204
You can use that same controller for any other things you may want to add like flaps, gear, airbrakes, whatever.

I wouldnt call it an investment. More like a donation. I made the simpit for my old club where its in use now. I did consider VR for a long time, but decided against it to keep costs down and make it more accessible for untrained people, many of whom are technophobes. I may or may not change my mind later, depending how its used. But having all the physical control inputs and a screen for the instructor/spectators actually makes it a great simpit to use with VR. I just dont think VR is the right solution right now for the club.

benkog

Post by benkog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello Jan!

I want to asking about the rope release machanism shown on the pictures on Thingiverse, could You describe it?
Thnka You!

Gabor Benko

391P

Post by 391P » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello, everybody.
Is there a solution to the problem described here? I have a similar constellation and unfortunately cannot get any further... Maybe you could have a look at my article and help me? That would be great. Thank you very much!
391P

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19075