Fly-Elise software

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

JulietLima

Fly-Elise software

Post by JulietLima » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi,

Has anyone used Immersive Display PRO from Fly-Elise-ng with Condor 2 to apply geometric correction and soft-edge blending to a 2 or 3 projector sim? If so how did it go. Was it worth the money?

Thanks

JL

wickid

Re: Fly-Elise software

Post by wickid » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 am

Yes it works. Support is great. I've been using immersive display lite for years, recently switched to PRO because of condor 2
PH-1504, KOE

JulietLima

Post by JulietLima » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:24 pm

We at the Scottish Gliding Centre have been trying to get Condor 2 working with Fly-Elise-ng Immersive Designer PRO but can't get it to work to our satisfaction.

Our sim uses 3 identical Epson 1980 x 1080 projectors projecting onto a horseshoe screen 3.6m diameter, 0.8m straight legs and 1.8m high. This gives 220 degrees field of view from the pupil's seat. We are using a single Nvidia GTX970 graphics card.

If we ignore the new multi-monitor feature introduced in v2.0.3 and use Nvidia Surround to give emulate a single 5760 x 1080 screen we can set Condor to a 160 degree FOV which results in a lot of distortion at the left and right extremities. Designer PRO though is able to blend and warp the image to give a flat horizon and a nice blend of the 3 projectors.

However when turning Nvidia Surround off and so Windows sees 3 separate monitors we haven't managed to get the warp and blend to work. We setup Condor with the 3 screens and in Display Pro load the 3 calibration files for the 3 projectors the result is very poor.

The big difference between monitors and projectors is that with projectors there is an overlap region where we need two adjacent projectors to display the same part of the scene. Designer PRO can then fade one out and the adjacent one in to give a seamless image.

Has anyone managed to get the multi-monitor feature to work while using the Fly-Elise-ng software and if so what is the secret we are missing?

JL

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 pm

It may not be possible atm. How do other sims handle this, do they allow you to define an overlap?

Your problem might need almost the same solution as triple flat screen users who want bezel compensation. Except you would need a negative bezel width. Ironically, an older version of condor, I think 2.0.4 allowed you to manually define viewport angles. This did result in not being able to zoom in/out, but until there is a proper fix for this, reverting to 2.0.4 may be a workaround if you dont mind flying in an older version, not being able to fly online etc?

JulietLima

Post by JulietLima » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 pm

For the record the attached photo shows the best we have achieved. We are using Fly-elise-ng Display Pro to warp and crop the images from the projectors but not blend them, hence the bright line where they overlap. As you can see the horizon is not straight but we will need to live with that unless or until Condor gives independent field of views for each supported monitor.
With the current setup we have a 220 degree screen from the pupil's eye position and have set the FOV to 74 degrees in Condor 2. The pupil can now look over their shoulder and see parts of the wings, including part of the airbrakes. This makes judging the landing much more realistic.

Regards,

JL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm

I understand the white line, but Im a little confused why the blending software cant rectify the kink in the horizon?

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:18 pm

It can. Im using it the same way as in the picture and ypu can warp each monitor independantly to get the horizon straight.

Still waiting for a fix for the edgebleding, which isn't possible with 2.0.6 because you can't set the FOV and offsets manually. I have 3x 70 degrees now. But I want 3x 80 degrees with 70 degree offsets so I can blend the remaining 10 degrees.
PH-1504, KOE

JulietLima

Post by JulietLima » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:12 pm

If we warped it more the horizon will not be straight when flying straight and level.

dingetje

Post by dingetje » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:30 am

My club is working on a sim setup using 3 projectors as well and have recently purchased the Fly-Elise Immersive Display Pro and Immersive Calibration Pro software. I'm pretty new to this, so bare with me.

Fly-Elise support claims I must use NVidea Surround (we have a GTX 1660 Ti display card) to form a single 3x1 display and start from there.
Condor will then see a single display of 5760x1080 pixels.

However, Wiek says it's better to use the 3 monitor setup in Condor with a FOV of 60, so you'll get a 180 degree view (I think the default FOV is 80).
Condor currently offers only a degree offset for each monitor, but we do have overlap in the projectors so we'd like to blend them together.
From this thread I understand that is not possible?

Is there a difference between a single 5760x1080 display with Nvidea Surround or 3 separate 1920x1080 projectors for the rendering in Condor 2?

Another question, the height of the horizon, can it be adjusted in Condor? It's currently a bit too high in the view.

Any input is appreciated!

JulietLima

Post by JulietLima » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:04 pm

It's over 2 years since the last posting on this thread so I can't remember all the details. In our setup, as far a Condor is concerned there are 3 monitors and we use the Fly-Elise software to crop but not to blend. The attached photos may help.
Note the 4th monitor is for the instruments.
2021-07-26 15.05.32.jpg
2021-07-26 14.57.44.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:04 am

I have the same. Just warped the 3 monitors but I did not blend. If you allign the beamers correctly you'll get an almost straight horizon, and the seams are acceptable.
PH-1504, KOE

dingetje

Post by dingetje » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Thanks guys, I will try this first.

I wonder why Fly-Elise support is pushing me towards a single 3x1 NVidea Surround display?
Probably because they don't know Condor 2 well enough.

PaulJackson

Post by PaulJackson » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:00 pm

When using Immersive Display Pro with Condor and multiple projectors, which do you use, desktop warping or window warping?

Paul

dingetje

Post by dingetje » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:36 pm

Our projectors have overlap, but I understand you need to crop the views (and not use blend) using the Immersive Calibration Pro?
I was able to achieve a reasonable desktop view, but in Condor the result looks "strange" (I believe because the blended areas where removed from the view, resulting in a too narrow render.

@Wiek, what do you mean with "If you allign the beamers correctly"? No overlap? Or is overlap allowed and just 'crop' them in the software?

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:48 pm

At the moment you cant overlap as there is no bezel correction.

You have to align the projectors without overlap and warp the 3 projectors separately to get a straight horizon.
PH-1504, KOE