ACK Keiheuvel simulator

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

pckormic

Re: ACK Keiheuvel simulator

Post by pckormic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi again.
Thanks for your kindness and your patience.

First of all, I don´t have an 3D printer, nor 3D software knownledge.

I am going to give the 3D files to a friend of mine who is helping me with my project:

I am "rebuilding" one of my flight cockpits to use it mainly as flight sim glider trainer, using a Oculus Rift instead of a big TV screen.
Here is a couple of pictures of my actual cockpit:

and here is how actually is ( you can see the Oculus Rift in the left arm)

and here it is the cockpit I´m going to rebuild to use with the Oculus Rift.

As you can see, it´s "spartan" style, I use the Hotas and a Voice Comand program to control the simulator.
Your knowledge of the 3D tecnology is amazing, and the elongation of the FF Sidewinder has been a revelation to me.
And I am shure this opens the door to a new way to build things in the cockpit simulation world, because everybody can make the same piece in any part of the world...

Now, with the arrival of the Virtual Reality option to the Condor 2, I hope this kind of cockpit could do the work...

I will spoke to my friend about the slic3r software you are using, and I hope it will be compatible with his own software used in the 3D printer...

Goodbye and good flights

janjansen

Re: ACK Keiheuvel simulator

Post by janjansen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 pm

He can use whatever slicer program he wants, I uploaded the stick as STL (3D model) also in 2 halves, so he can slice it himself. I just asked about the type of printer because for a resin printer, he probably doesnt need to cut the stick in halves (although I think most resin printers have a too small build volume for that part). And yes, 3d printers are extremely useful for projects like these. Design, build, share and download stuff from others. Its a pretty powerful concept, even though the technology has its limitations. Especially if you print in PLA like I do. Those labels would not last a (hot) day in a real glider, they would melt.

I love your setup. Its basic and seems quite functional. Good pedals too. And once you wear those goggles, it doesnt matter how it looks!
I chose to spend a little extra time to make mine look nice, because I wanted it to look like a simulator. If I just put a PC with joystick on a desk in the club house, no one will notice it, hardly anyone will realize its a simulator and it will be used for excel and surfing the web, not condor. And they will think of it as game, rather than a rather good sim.

Anyway the advent of VR and upcoming high resolution/wide FOV units, probably will make "simpits" a thing of the past. after I finish and deliver this, Im not sure what Im going to build for myself. Probably wait for a 8K, 150 degree FoV VR set.