Custom flap / airbrake unit

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

janjansen

Custom flap / airbrake unit

Post by janjansen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 pm

I thought it would be nice to have a proper flap and airbrake lever even without full simpit, and to get an idea, I started drafting something in blender, based around cheap and common 3D printer components and printable parts. I dont know yet if I will build it, but this is how far Ive gotten after a few hours of messing around:

Using 2 8mm shafts per lever, , igus bearings and the carriage design of a prusa.
Some GT2 timing belts are clamped inside

to drive a globoid worm wheel I also found on thingiverse, resulting in a ~ 180 degree rotation of the worm wheel, so i can use a standard potmeter.

The flap lever is hinged and spring loaded, and locks in to the holes of the rail above.

The idea is that this rail will be 'hotswappable' to accommodate different planes. A little interface and screen will then let the user select the correct plane, or maybe I can "key" each plate somehow and detect which one is inserted.

Cutout of the levers:

Still have a few unsolved problems;

Im unsure of the positioning of the levers if this is going to be mounted to a desk. The flap lever may be a little high and the airbrake a little too close to the desk? May have to make a mockup to find out, there is only so much you can judge in 3D.

To get some resistance and dampening, I was thinking of using rotary dampers on the timing belt axis, using something like this:
https://www.acecontrols.com/us/products ... mpers.html

But I have no idea how strong they are or need to be.

Im also still looking for a spring and locking mechanism for the airbrakes. I may just use some elastic bands and magnets but it would be nice if it felt more like the real thing.

Suggestions welcome.

sisu1a

Re: Custom flap / airbrake unit

Post by sisu1a » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 am

Neat project. For damping, it would be much easier to use adjustable tension friction rubs and some proper damping grease like Nyogel 767a or PG44 ( lots of greases are 'thick' but have awful damping qualities... spent years trying different greases before finding real damping grease and there's no comparison... I can send you some to play with if you want and pm me.)

I've made many friction mechanisms this way, one of which was the progenitor of the damping mechanism VKB adopted for their latest offerings. Here's an album of a dedicated positioning joystick I made based off this principal.

https://imgur.com/a/ixi64

And another that was made for a pitch/roll gimbal: https://imgur.com/a/jTw6H

Besides radial bearings to pivot on, there are greased mylar rubs sandwitched in between the moving parts and I use a thrust bearing+spring to allow adjustable running friction. Very easy to make but very smoooooooooth :)

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:33 am

I'd prefer a dashpot for the damping.

http://airpot.com/product-category/prod ... -dashpots/
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am

I use a gasspring in my sim project.
PH-1504, KOE

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 am

Dash pot is not a spring. its a cylinder with an adjustable leak
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:25 am

I'd prefer a dashpot for the damping.
But it has only a few cm stroke, not sure how to use that in my configuration?
Neat project. For damping, it would be much easier to use adjustable tension friction rubs and some proper damping grease like Nyogel 767a or PG44 ( lots of greases are 'thick' but have awful damping qualities... spent years trying different greases before finding real damping grease and there's no comparison... I can send you some to play with if you want and pm me.)
Some neat work in there!
How do you contain the nyogel and how do you control the amount of dampening?

Also, afaik thrust bearings arent meant to take axial loads, so Im a little worried how they will cope, especially in my setup where they will rotate a lot more and a lot faster than with a typical joystick.
wickid wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am
I use a gasspring in my sim project.
I saw that, what an amazing simpit you built there. I think a gasspring may work for the airbrakes in my setup too, if I can fit one in with enough "throw". As for the locking mechanism, I came up with something quick and dirty:

Ill need to experiment with the shapes and spring tension.

For the flaps I will need something else though, as I only need dampening and I need it throughout the range of the slider.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Building simpits is EASY.
really easy.

.... In blender

I may be in way over my head, but what the heck, just ordered the first batch of wood.

This is how far I got earlier :)

antonio80

Post by antonio80 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:20 pm

very interesting project, did you print it ? any chance to share the project?
i have a couple of 3d printers at home, if you want i can try to print it down! just let me know!