Start of my budget cockpit project

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

NoXylophone

Start of my budget cockpit project

Post by NoXylophone » Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 pm

It's not a lot to look at right now, but it should be fairly cool when done.

Based off of the DG-808 cockpit, it uses a twin-level perimeter frame made of 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipes and fittings, with a seat frame made of the same.

Actual seat panels will be made of a nice plywood, probably birch or maple, attached to the PVC frame, with the seating surface done in neoprene. Seat cushion will be a dual layer Comfor memory foam (or similar) sandwich in a breathable fabric cover.

Flight control system will be a G940, with the main flight stick in the HOTAS configuration, with options to relocate the stick to the center by detaching the stick from the base, placing the base below the seat, and using an extended parallelogram bar as a new mount for the stick. I might try to find a way to fab up a glider-style pedal box and move the G940 pedals to the area under the knees, hooking the pedals up with pulleys and wires.

Arm rests (which hold the flight controls) will be the same basic construction as the seat panels, with a layer of neoprene foam and a fabric cover, making them suitable for use as a mousepad. A retractible cross-seat keyboard holder is also in the works, as is a mounting pylon for my TrackIR camera.

Display is just going to be my old 60" rear projection 1080p DLP. I'd like to upgrade to a multi-projector setup at some point so I'm designing a projector frame into the seat back, but that's not on the menu for a while. A cross-bar above the knees will support a 10" LCD for instruments and desktop control.

NoXylophone

Re: Start of my budget cockpit project

Post by NoXylophone » Wed May 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Well, things are progressing.

Still debating if I want to build some proper glider pedals from PVC or not.

RodNoc123

Post by RodNoc123 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi NoXylophone

How are you progressing? I thought your project looked interesting & would love to read about details...

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 am

Ya know, a recumbent exercise bike is a much easier starting place, and yields an attractive result... my simpit is very stout, has fully adjustable seat and easy to move around. It's based on this model Schwinn 205p and can be commonly found (in USA) for $25-$100. Image I'll get some real pics of my pit once my internet situation is fixed and I have more time.

-Paul

DC

Post by DC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes do post them. I have one of these that I was thinking of using as a cockpit. Would be nice to see what you did with it.
ImageImage

NoXylophone

Post by NoXylophone » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 pm

I'd love to see that recumbent bike idea. Post some pics!

I'm currently waiting until I get my G940 in hand to finalize design on the pedal box area of the simpit. Without having one on hand to measure and test out, I really cant figure out exactly how it needs to be mounted. Hoping to have that shipped from Amazon in a week or two

Good news is that my girlfriend wants to build a new gaming PC, so it looks like I'll have her help putting together the CPU side of things as long as I'm willing to share. ;-)

Mihelich

Post by Mihelich » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 am

NoXylophone

Any updates on how you are coming with your PVC pit?

pappy69

Post by pappy69 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:20 pm

I know this is over a 2 years thread but is there any development on this cockpit project? It seems like
a good idea and if it is made by SCH40 pipe it would be sturby!!

melcrose

Post by melcrose » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm

For what it's worth - a "zero gravity" lawn chair is a great option and it's incredibly inexpensive. (2 for 80 on walmart's site.) Once you have it all laid back it's in roughly the same position as a real glider (and you can lock it wherever) so then you can put a plastic tub under the front and attach your pedals to that. It also has drink holders that you can place on the side so you can mount joystick throttles to use for flaps / dive breaks / landing gear. I added 5 $16 butt kickers around the sim and used software called "peace" and "apo" (?) to take all the audio from the game and run it through filters so I can have whatever experience I want from the butt kickers. Add a cheap windows mixed reality headset and an MS FF2 joystick and you have a pretty realistic and fun sim for not much money! :)

benkog

Post by benkog » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 pm

melcrose wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm
For what it's worth - a "zero gravity" lawn chair is a great option and it's incredibly inexpensive. (2 for 80 on walmart's site.) Once you have it all laid back it's in roughly the same position as a real glider (and you can lock it wherever) so then you can put a plastic tub under the front and attach your pedals to that. It also has drink holders that you can place on the side so you can mount joystick throttles to use for flaps / dive breaks / landing gear. I added 5 $16 butt kickers around the sim and used software called "peace" and "apo" (?) to take all the audio from the game and run it through filters so I can have whatever experience I want from the butt kickers. Add a cheap windows mixed reality headset and an MS FF2 joystick and you have a pretty realistic and fun sim for not much money! :)
Hello melcrose!

Please, send some pictures about your project status (zero gravity chair), if possible. Thank You!

BenkoG