Leo Bodnar boards alternatives or USA distributor

Interested in building your own home grown cockpit?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

cloudbaseengineering

Leo Bodnar boards alternatives or USA distributor

Post by cloudbaseengineering » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:57 am

Hello All,

I am looking to build my own Condor cockpit and found Leo Bodnar has most of what I need in regards to USB boards not requiring and code and being compatible natively. Is there a USA distributor or a similar item I can buy from a USA vendor?

Also in regards to long axis like Flaps, trim and gear, what type of sensors are people using? Is there a board take a rotary encoder with Quadrature output? If not what are people using? My plan is to have a shuttle on some 2020 makerslide with the belt attached and turning a rotary encoder or something similar. It must rotate many times so a standard potentiometer with a stop wont do it? Thoughts?

wickid

Re: Leo Bodnar boards alternatives or USA distributor

Post by wickid » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:38 am

PoKeys 57E works well:

https://www.poscope.com/
PH-1504, KOE

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:58 pm

cloudbaseengineering

Post by cloudbaseengineering » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:05 pm

h.kreso wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:58 pm
I adopt Arduino, like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtiqsA0MQ_c
Wow just watched this video and think this may be the way to go. So with this method, it seems I can buy multiple pro micro boards and have them embedded in each major assembly on its own address. let me know if what I am thinking is possible.

Rudder pedals: one Pro Micro board and then USB cable exits to connect to USB hub. (footwell Area)

Flaps, Spoilers and Trim: one Pro Micro board and then USB cable exits to connect to (left side of cockpit)

Gear, Water, tow release & instrument panel (Panel mostly buttons): one Pro Micro board and then USB cable exits to connect to (Right side of cockpit)

Virpil Joystick Base: USB from base for X&Y only

Hand grip: I need to print my own or use a tube with a simply button box on top like shown in the collective. I can embed a pro micro inside as well. or the standard communication protocol with the virpil base is SPI and curious if the Pro Micro can take in all the button presses and then convert to SPI and connect to the VIRPIL internal connector? If I cant figure this out out will disassociate these buttons from the Virpil with the pro micro board on its own address.

Going this route give USB connection to each major assembly so I can remove and work on it if needed over say tons of wires and connectors on the Leo Bodnar or Pokey board. This route makes everythign more modular.

Am I understanding this correctly and does what I wrote make sense? is there a better way to achieve the same thing?

Marc

cloudbaseengineering

Post by cloudbaseengineering » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:48 am

H.kreso,
I just watched more of the videos on the collective stick and it seems all the info on how to wire up the head and how the sparkfun board is wired up inside is missing. The info is there on thingiverse, but Arduino is new to me so having a video to follow along would help. Can you give a bit more info on how you implemented these boards to work in condor.

cloudbaseengineering

Post by cloudbaseengineering » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:59 am

This looks like a USA option to the Leo Bodnar boards. Maybe a little less IO though.
https://www.desktopaviator.com/Products ... /index.htm

Anyone use one of these before?

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:38 pm

It's not a problem to combine in Condor setup more arduinos, I have Leo card to.
Just made a little diode matrix PCB and wire to HALL, POT or/and swich. Don't have pic how to assembled
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.