LLC 2007 teams

Vertigo

LLC 2007 teams

Post by Vertigo » Fri May 12, 2006 11:08 pm

I think we got a good concept for the main scoring, now I was rethinking the teams.

What would you think of this: incorporate teams (not necessarely based on country*). every team has a team captain (and name, logo, ..). Every pilot can choose to participate in a team, but the captian must approve the "membership". everyone can start their own team.

To score the teams, I would use the same principle as the AAS scoring. Each day, sum of all team members' score divided by number of team results +1. This will ensure you need around 4 pilots per team each day to be able to get a good score. The more pilots your team has, the closer you will get to the actual average dayscore of your pilots (but the more you have, the more likely you will be to have some sub average pilots or results too).

Per month, same idea; sum of dayscores per team divided by number of days flown +1. *edit* had some comment here about counting only pilots that flew 2+ races, but that makes no sense with this scoring, since we take ~averages of each day, so it doesn't matter for team result if a certain pilot only flew once */edit*

Overall teamscore, I'd use the same principle as overall LLC ranking, but I'm not sure yet how we will do that. "Averaged+1", place scores (5 out of 6 or not?).

This would be quite flexible for pilots that don't fly each race/month, they won't ruin the team's score. It would also allow people to join a team later without messing up the scoring. Lastly, this approach also requires balanced teams; too few pilots won't get good scores (due to +1 AAS thing), too large teams will score just average.

For LLC 2008 ;) (or who know's, maybe 2007 if it rains all summer) we might even set up a private forum for each team to discuss tactics and stuff.

(*) I'd probably still keep a "country cup", but with very simple scoring: average of all pilots for that country.
Last edited by Vertigo on Fri May 12, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Fri May 12, 2006 11:13 pm

afterthought: to encourage teamflying, maybe we could even introduce some sort of limited team bonus to individual results of all team members?

The fun would be that to win LLC, you wouldn't only need to be on of the best individual pilots, you'd also better make sure you are in a good performing team. It may not be very RL-alike, but it sure would give an extra dimension I think.

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Sat May 13, 2006 8:33 am

I am not sure, if it is a good idea... Teams would start flying on their servers, with their private TS and it would create a "apartheid". Old system is good in my eyes, because new and unexperieced pilots have a chance to learn from top pilots...

para1783

Post by para1783 » Sat May 13, 2006 11:30 am

I agree with Cadfel. I'm one of these unexperienced pilots and am not able to fly the LLC task regularly. I will therefore always be in the lower part of the ranking. Nevertheless I enjoyed the last LLC season a lot and was able to learn a lot from people around me (in the air).

With this background I would never qualify for a good/ambitious team. I think there are many pilots like myself out there, who are always grateful to 'steal' a little bit of experience from the pro's. :lol:

Cheers
Chris

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 13, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm not sure if you guys are replying to my first post, or the second ?

Especially if you scratch my afterthought (bonus points), I see no problem for unexperienced pilots to participate, learn and have fun, just like before

Servers will never be "private", they all use the same password (set by us), so anyone can join the server, team member or not. So there is still no problem flying with/behind the pro's to learn from them, even if you are not in the same team.

As for teamspeak; its impossible anyway to have 150 people on the same channel, so already pilots organised among themselves. Wether this is done through having LLC teams or otherwise, I see no difference.

Finally, I highly doubt most teams will be "elitist" not accepting newbies. In fact, this will even be impossible with 800+ participants and the sweet spot for a team size being around 5 or so. My guess is there will be at most 2 or 3 teams taking this seriously

Team score is just there for fun. People flying for victory in LLC 2006 had no interest in giving information through TS or otherwise either, so I fail to see the difference and think your fear is ungrounded. LLC teams ought to be fun for those wanting to fly as teams, but it wouldn't "handicap" anyone or spoil anyone'e fun IMO.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 13, 2006 1:01 pm

I'm not sure if you guys are replying to my first post, or the second ?

Especially if you scratch my afterthought (bonus points), I see no problem for unexperienced pilots to participate, learn and have fun, just like before

Servers will never be "private", they all use the same password (set by us), so anyone can join the server, team member or not. So there is still no problem flying with/behind the pro's to learn from them, even if you are not in the same team.

As for teamspeak; its impossible anyway to have 150 people on the same channel, so already pilots organised among themselves. Wether this is done through having LLC teams or otherwise, I see no difference.

Finally, I highly doubt most teams will be "elitist" not accepting newbies. In fact, this will even be impossible with 800+ participants and the sweet spot for a team size being around 5 or so. My guess is there will be at most 2 or 3 teams taking this seriously

Team score is just there for fun. People flying for victory in LLC 2006 had no interest in giving information through TS or otherwise either, so I fail to see the difference and think your fear is ungrounded. LLC teams ought to be fun for those wanting to fly as teams, but it wouldn't "handicap" anyone or spoil anyone'e fun IMO.

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Sat May 13, 2006 2:29 pm

First, of course... You could be right, but I personally do not like to be a member of any team - it is too binding for me. So if will be a possible to fly also as before, it is ok.

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Sat May 13, 2006 3:24 pm

Sorry For the boys that dont like it but if u fly alone and u fly in team its just you have some friends in your team

but i dont like team to i like to fly my own way not the way others do
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu May 18, 2006 12:34 am

JJJ J,Jennen wrote:but i dont like team to i like to fly my own way not the way others do
That's not what I remember from last LLC races :lol: :wink:

FrankHazell

Post by FrankHazell » Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 am

I kind of like the idea but I was wondering whether it might tend towards a few elite teams with the rest not standing much of a chance. IMHO we should find a way to stop 4 top pilots all flying in the same team. I think it would be fantastic if we had a reasonable spread of ability within each team as it would create a more open competition.

Frank Hazell

Reg-#: Pandora
Comp-#: 2G