IGC Pilot Ranking System

wiktor256

IGC Pilot Ranking System

Post by wiktor256 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 am

The IGC ranking system http://www.fai.org/gliding/rankings/webrules.php is designed to represent the relative performance of pilots from national and international competitions. I think there should be a way to adopt it to online contests like LLC. The IGC ranking system takes into account the fact that pilots fly in different contests over a period of few years. This is very similar to LLC, where pilots may participate in different races in a month.

I let others to list the disadvantages of this system, but instead I'll point out one feature that is not present in all the other scoring systems that were already discussed. The race ranking is based on the strength of the pilots that compete in the same race. A race without top pilots would be ranked lower than a race with top pilots participating in it.

VK

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue May 09, 2006 8:49 am

Wiktor,

I’ve only glanced at it briefly, so I could be wrong (will look in detail later) , but this seems more a solution to create a ranking in-between otherwise incomparable competitions than a way to rank a single competition. It might be possible to do something with it if you consider each month a separate competition, but not for “intramonthâ€