LLC 2007

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Sat May 13, 2006 9:09 pm

It looks very cool and promissingly! :)

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Sat May 13, 2006 9:23 pm

verry nice realy maybe you can make something like a chatbox to if we are on the website ;)

Questino To Vertigo Tim Baeyens Steven Vanloven Rudy Jennen and others from Keiheuvel to fly in a team

thnx JJJ
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Sat May 13, 2006 9:27 pm

another idea for the banner youy can make Karsten Wiktor and Tim on the homepage... hes glider whit CN and a skin...
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Tue May 16, 2006 10:52 am

It looks very good.

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Tue May 16, 2006 10:59 am

looks great, thanks for using my screenshots :D :lol:

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Tue May 16, 2006 7:53 pm

The new website looks cool :D . I take it LLC 2007 will be starting in October then, based on the screenshot.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 20, 2006 3:18 pm

for those interested, attached an SQL script to generate an MySQL database with all LLC 2006 flightdata (i did remove all email addresses).

Below a sample script to generate month and overall scores using the new proposed AAS scoring.. (quite a bit simpler than the old one,and about 300.000 x as fast too).

Code: Select all

drop table if exists `monthscores`;
create table `monthscores`
SELECT
  flight.cn,
  convert (date_format(compday.compdate, '%m'), char) AS mon,
  count(flight.score) as flightcount,
  (sum(flight.score) / (count(flight.score) + 0.8)) AS AAS 
#0.8 is a parameter not decided upon yet
FROM
  compday
  RIGHT OUTER JOIN flight ON (compday.compday = flight.compday)
Where flight.compday >0 AND score > 0
# you may remove the score>0 criterium  to include zero flights
group by mon, CN
ORDER BY
      mon asc,
    AAS DESC;

drop table if exists `overallscore`; 
create table `overallscore`
# not decided yet. This script makes an"AAS score of AAS monthscores",
# but we may also decide upon a sum of or AAS of placepoints instead
SELECT
  cn,
  count(AAS) as monthcount,
  sum(flightcount) as flightcount,
  (sum(AAS) / (count(AAS) + 0.6)) AS overall
# 0.6 is another parameter subject to change.
FROM
  monthscores
group by CN
ORDER BY
    overall DESC;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 20, 2006 3:48 pm

btw, for the site, I've decided upon:

- MySQL (5.0.21), and Im using EMS manager as shell to help me transition :)
- PHP5
- Dreamweaver 8, mostly as texteditor :)

Im a complete noob in these tools, migrating from FrontPage/ASP/Access, but I'm beginning to appreciate them enormously; especially PHP is a real eye opener! I won't be going back to ASP ever I think.

I did spend over a week getting PHP to work with MySQL with either IIS or Apache, until I found that the Apache distro I was using assumed the existence of a C: drive (which I havent). If you want a painless install, I highly recommend XAMPP (except that it seem to disable InnoDB on MySQL, so I installed MySQL on top of it again).

I also experimented with both Mambo/Joombla and Drupal, but found both had a too steep learning curve if you want to go far outside the supplied functionality (which isn't sufficient for LLC in either package), so not worth it for me; although both packages do extremely nice for more typical sites/portals.

hitzi

Post by hitzi » Sat May 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Just ask if you need help with PHP and MySQL. I'm using this combination since a while.

I had some experience with ASP and Database at the beginning of the year. It's not so bad when you go a little bit deeper. I like the use of c# :)

I'm would say ASP and PHP are at the same level 8)

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 20, 2006 5:08 pm

i've only used a tiny bit of old school asp (not asp.net) and only with vbscript, not c#, so YMMV.

But a few things I adore about PHP:
- ability to use variables directly in strings (eg query strings) without having to mess with ' and &. This caused me endless frustration with the previous site.
- session variables (cookies, POST/PUT variables) directly accessible, very easy to code for
- speed in combination with mysql. not sure if ASP or Access where to blame, but PHP/MySQL seems to fly in comparison.

(edit: speed is access vs MySQL.. above script takes 0.09s to complete on MySQL and 3-4 seconds on Access... a 35x difference!)

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Sat May 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Hi Vertigo

As I am a complete idiot in such things (PHP, SQL, ASP...) it is possible to post (or send me via PM) a little more greater list on the new 2007 scoring with 2006 LLC results? As I tryied (i think) to fly as I would in RL, I'm curious to see if my results will be better.... :oops:

Thank you

René
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

markjt

Post by markjt » Sat May 20, 2006 7:51 pm

[edit]so why didn't I use Ctrl+Z??
Crap, lost the orinal post while trying paste back from a text editor. All I got was "page-level locking" copied off a web page.... I think the Eurovision Song Contest (or at least the Finnish make-up) has melted my brain :shock:

Mark
Last edited by markjt on Sun May 21, 2006 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reg-#: G-1956
Comp-#: MT

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 20, 2006 9:26 pm

markjt wrote:MS Access was never designed for multi-user client-server apps. It would always be a major bottle-neck. Never use it if there is going to be more than one man and his dog accessing the app.
Hmm.. seems my comparison wasn't fair, access query grouped by day, not month (doesnt support the month formatting code). Too lazy to adapt the query..

FWIW, in my old company, I remember we did some comparisons between Access (jet) and SQL server, because there was no developper or other cheap editions back then; the price difference was quite significant and few websites really needed more than the 1 GB (?) / 1M ? records limit imposed by Jet.

From what I remember from that testing, multiple simultaneous reads didn't give much difference (if any, Jet came out on top), it was only when you had loads of (simultaneous) writes/updates (not typical for websites) that the difference became quite measurable in favour of SQL server.

At least, thats what I recall saying to our customers :), and that was well over a decade ago, in a time the internet was still nerdish :)

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 20, 2006 9:27 pm

Polewka wrote:Hi Vertigo

As I am a complete idiot in such things (PHP, SQL, ASP...) it is possible to post (or send me via PM) a little more greater list on the new 2007 scoring with 2006 LLC results? As I tryied (i think) to fly as I would in RL, I'm curious to see if my results will be better.... :oops:

Thank you

René
If you can wait a week or two, I'll let you testdrive the new site (with old data) once it is somewhat functional..

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 20, 2006 9:45 pm

here is a question to you PHP/MySQL experts: I need to calculate average speed.

After processing the csv, and importing into MySQL, I have one field distance (type: decimal) and one time (type: time). But I can't calculate with them in either PHP or MySQL.

example:
distance= 100
time= 00:30:00

if I try distance/time in PHP I get an error "Unsupported operand types ". In MySQL I get 333.333.

Any clues ?