Day 49

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:24 pm

All sounds correct, but I don't like that penalty zones are visible out of the window.

In my opinion, they should only be marked on the PDA and the task planning map. Same for outlanding fields too.
Last edited by OXO on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Slow_and_Low

Post by Slow_and_Low » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:32 pm

There are many fields allready defined in Condor, you can see them very easy. If Condor is able to detect them, this would be a solution.

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:39 pm

markjt wrote:
Vertigo wrote:.. like penalty zones and such, with a keypress.
Yes, sounds like the only practical way to do it. It could use the same visible distance settings as the TP helpers for simplicity.

Condor "zones" are rectilinear and cannot follow the terrain contours AFAIK, so maybe landing zones could be displayed just like a PZ, but only up to about 100m AGL, and with bright green or blue edges to stand out from PZ's.

So, like a PZ that goes from ground level up to 100m, but with green (blue) edges. The PDA would show the location on the map but the pilot would not see them if they were hidden behind a hill or mountain, or out of visible range. Planning ahead would still be the key, as in RL.

Mark
Imho no need to make landing zones helpers to be 3-D. It is sufficient to draw contour on the ground and that's it. And also i prefer not zones but places limited in size. Like IRL it will be needed to perform estimation of the landing path to be able to land and stop within this small area. This will also push pilots to train their landing techique which is also important - not just to land but to land exactly where it is needed.

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:47 pm

OXO wrote:All sounds correct, but I don't like that penalty zones are visible out of the window.

In my opinion, they should only be marked on the PDA and the task planning map. Same for outlanding fields too.
Unfortunately with current development of technologies it will not be possible to estimate from the air appropriateness of one or another place for landing. So their boundaries should be clearly marked. Or else there will be a lot of complains that field looks like good for landing but Condor has different opinion ;) and so crash happened.
About penalty zones i agree.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:02 pm

I am quite an expert in outlandings, seemingly the thing I do most on Condor especially when foolishly pushing the envelope..as if anyone would....

From my very considerable experience of out-landing gained since January I would say that they are very possible in Condor already?? Surely in RL ..be it single power or propless, one is always considering likely landing sites for the "what if" situation. Unless I am missing the point here Condor offers plenty of landing-out opportunties, but as in RL by the time you are on top of them you may find some rather unpleasant local topography ready to yank a wing or two off. Despite the regular blood pressure peaks as I once again land out in LLC (OK Im still learning...hopefully?) I do feel as if I have had a near RL experience when I view my glider sitting safely at the end of a small clearing.

I take the point that some pre determined fields could be earmarked as "accepted" out-landing locations, and I guess that that would be an entirely logical move. I do not like the idea of them being in anyway colour coded, although helpful location of these should call for a degree of pilot skill? If Condor wishes to walk hand in hand with RL then safe practises should be pursued, or penalties may be an option? Maybe one day I won't need out landing services quite so often, but until then I will continue to perfect the aircraft carrier approach on the best looking clearings.. Squirrels may continue to tremble in their trees, however, my experience also dictates they remain in peril when Pete's coming down.
PB

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:03 pm

I am quite an expert in outlandings, seemingly the thing I do most on Condor especially when foolishly pushing the envelope..as if anyone would....

From my very considerable experience of out-landing gained since January I would say that they are very possible in Condor already?? Surely in RL ..be it single power or propless, one is always considering likely landing sites for the "what if" situation. Unless I am missing the point here Condor offers plenty of landing-out opportunties, but as in RL by the time you are on top of them you may find some rather unpleasant local topography ready to yank a wing or two off. Despite the regular blood pressure peaks as I once again land out in LLC (OK Im still learning...hopefully?) I do feel as if I have had a near RL experience when I view my glider sitting safely at the end of a small clearing.

I take the point that some pre determined fields could be earmarked as "accepted" out-landing locations, and I guess that that would be an entirely logical move. I do not like the idea of them being in anyway colour coded, although helpful location of these should call for a degree of pilot skill? If Condor wishes to walk hand in hand with RL then safe practises should be pursued, or penalties may be an option? Maybe one day I won't need out landing services quite so often, but until then I will continue to perfect the aircraft carrier approach on the best looking clearings.. Squirrels may continue to tremble in their trees, however, my experience also dictates they remain in peril when Pete's coming down.
PB

markjt

Post by markjt » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:16 pm

Tima (TSD) wrote:...Imho no need to make landing zones helpers to be 3-D. It is sufficient to draw contour on the ground and that's it.
I did not mean large zones like the PZ's. I am thinking of field/pasture areas.

But AFAIK Condor does not have a means to display areas that follow, or even outline, the terrain unless it is completely flat. So, a polygon zone limited to the size of several fields. If Condor can "paint" lines on uneven terrain with a key-press then this would also be good.

The pilot could switch this off with a keypress, just like the TP's and PZ's.

Mark
Reg-#: G-1956
Comp-#: MT

EA

Post by EA » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:19 pm

I was wondering if all servers had the Plane Icons Range option set to 10 kms on day 49, while it was usually 5 kms. It was the case on Fredo 1.

If this wasn't a small mistake, imho the task setters should avoid such view distance, as it's completely unrealistic. I'd say 2 or 3 kms would be far enough...

Seb

markjt

Post by markjt » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:32 pm

All servers have the same flight plan so all have the same settings. That is unless the hosts go and edit them.... in which case Vertigo would surely inflict severe pain on any transgressors :)

I just checked, and yes, icon range was 10km. In all other recent LLC's it has been 5km.

I am gussing that because the conditions were not as "strong" the task setter thought the 10km range would even things out a bit for the less experienced Condor pilots...

Mark
Reg-#: G-1956
Comp-#: MT

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:46 pm

the 10km was my mistake; usually SL designs the task, but I made this one, because i believed SL would be flying RL, so mea culpa.

about the outlanding zones, uros&gr, are you reading this? i never got a response to my initial requests for them, would be nice to know if you are considering this for a future version...

yvesf2

Post by yvesf2 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:10 pm

If you want to make things easy and realistic, do it the way seeyou mobile is doing.
If you are in range of a landable field (pre determined in a database with coordinates) it appears green on the screen if your in local with MC 0.0 or in yellow if in local with actual MC setting.
So the landable field would be easy to identify and you can even prepare your flight with seeyou knowing the coordinates.
In fact that's what we do in RL flying from local to local (airport or landable fields)
Now this is valid in mountainous area and the data base exists already (planeur.net) but what about task over flat terrain where you have much more opportunities?

Yves
F2