2 of 3

UWE

2 of 3

Post by UWE » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:58 am

Why counts in the April-Ranking only 2 Days?
9 CompeditionDays are theoretical possible this month...

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:51 pm

added the other days only recently, havent run the update script since.

UWE

Post by UWE » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:57 pm

O.K. :D Thanks
Allways Hammer-Thermals, Uwe :D

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Ran the update.. interesting, HZ is now sharing first place with VK :)

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:05 pm

That's my complaint about the system.
HZ has a much better position then VK,
he has 66% of the score that is max.
VK 33%
VK will have to increase his points, while HZ can afford a bit of a loss...

Lets see what LLC2006-2007 will bring ;)
Think positive, flaps negative.

wiktor256

Post by wiktor256 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:00 am

I agree with NX about the imperfections of the ranking system, but so far no one has been able to come up with a system that would satisfy everyone. I believe that there were at least three or four different methods discussed before, but all of them have weaknesses.

Since the mid-month ranking is so controversial, why not to allow users pick the preferred ranking method in their profile?

VK

EA

Post by EA » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:32 pm

TimKuijpers wrote:VK will have to increase his points, while HZ can afford a bit of a loss...
I don't really understand what's the problem with that ?!? The rankings show who's been the best this month, and it's quite normal that the performances HZ did early this month allow him to rest a little...

But as I'm not an expert with LLC rankings, maybe there's something I'm missing (maybe because only the best results are taken in account at the end of the month ?), so I hope you'll make that clear enough for my tired mind to understand :wink: (yes, I went to bed early this morning... :roll: )

Seb

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 pm

EA wrote:
TimKuijpers wrote:VK will have to increase his points, while HZ can afford a bit of a loss...
I don't really understand what's the problem with that ?!? The rankings show who's been the best this month, and it's quite normal that the performances HZ did early this month allow him to rest a little...

But as I'm not an expert with LLC rankings, maybe there's something I'm missing (maybe because only the best results are taken in account at the end of the month ?), so I hope you'll make that clear enough for my tired mind to understand :wink: (yes, I went to bed early this morning... :roll: )

Seb
Its indeed about the fact, at the end of the month not all tasks will be taken into account. Its an endless discussion how you represent that in the meantime. We could show either only best half, or all counting results (or something inbetween). Neither is a perfect representation, and both have pro's and con's. Frankly, I don't think thats an important issue (all results are available, use your calculator if you prefer the other approach :) )

Another endless discussion is wether or not counting only half the results per month is a good idea. Advantages are it gives reasonable chances to pilots that don't have time to fly (nearly) every task. Disadvantage is that it encourages reckless flying. Take risks, and if you win 1 out of 2 "gambles" its probably worth it (assuming you have time to fly sufficient number of tasks to make up for the lost gambles). This is a compromise we decided upon long ago, and while not perfect, I'm still happy with that choice, especially when you take into account a lot of pilots are suffering disconnections or lock ups at least occasionally. Counting all results would have a dramatic impact on their ranking.

For a next LLC, I'm thinking about counting again only a fraction (50, maybe 70%?) of the monthly results, but apply a stiff penalty for crashing (or any disconnection that is not proven to have happened under "safe" conditions). The new feature in Condor that will almost always write a lasttrack.ftr, even if condor crashes, would make that more feasable. only hard PC lockups might be an issue.

If ever Condor allows it, I would even like to consider any outlanding that did not occur on an approved outlanding area/field as a crash (so with a place score penalty, regardless how many flights you did that month) . That, in combination with the above rule would make people fly more like IRL, keeping an eye on outlanding possibilities, but it requires some significant changes to Condor (something like the opposite of penalty zones, "outlanding zones", and the ability to show it on the PDA).

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:31 pm

I agree about the outlandings and crashes. As a RL (ex) pilot, I find it hard to change my style and fly in this high risk way.

The other thing I think is missing from these tasks is realistic airspace restrictions. I don't mean arbitrary ones, but those which actually exist in the areas we fly.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team