Article about LLC - Attention Day 14 pilots

Simicro

Article about LLC - Attention Day 14 pilots

Post by Simicro » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:52 pm

Hi,

Recently I wrote a review of Condor in a french magazine. After that I have suggested another article to my editor and he accepted. The article should be published in march.

The goal is to present the LLC which is to my knowledge the biggest virtual soaring competition ever organized. More specifically I will tell the story of the day 14 on the server I was on.

To LLC Organizers : I'm not sure anymore of my server. I think I was on server Netherlands JH. Can you confirm please ? My CN is AT.
Also is it possible to have the list of all pilots on that server ?

To all pilots who were on the same servers than me, I would need your help :

I made some screenshots but they are not as good as I would like because it is not easy to fly a race and take pictures at the same time :lol: Furthermore my graphics settings were not set to maximum. Now for the magazine I need very high quality screenshots made with a special screen capture software.

I want to recreate the race with ghosts, especially the warmup for race start which was very impressive. That way I would be able to take screenshots as I like. I would also be able to analyze what happened. In short I need your flighttracks once the organizers confirm it is Netherland JH.

If you want to add a few comments on how went your flight, it is welcome too.

Send the file to : tonyargaud at gmail.com

Thanks in advance to all.

Merry Christmas.
Last edited by Simicro on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarlKoch

Post by KarlKoch » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:00 pm

seems to be JH server. Sent you the list of participants as PM.
I do NOT care who is your daddy. As long as i am fishing here, you don't walk over the water

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:03 pm

excelllent Karl, it is the JH indeed because I recognize pilots !

thanks

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:09 pm

to all pilots : the server is indeed Netherlands JH

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:18 pm

So I would appreciate to hear the pilots whose CN are :

1 VK
2 LY
3 YA
4 X3
5 WW
6 M7
7 RZ
8 P9
9 JH
10 CL
11 MO
12 VB
13 YP
15 AT
16 JA
17 DV
18 F8
19 HG
20 JR
21 ZA
22 BO
23 SS
24 2N
25 FE
26 S9
27 O9
28 B9
29 X1

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi simicro,

Nice to hear we will be making it into paper publications :) Can you tell us which magazine you write for ? Also good to hear its a French one, as I see surprisingly low numbers of French Condor and LLC pilots, which I find odd when you consider how popular gliding is in France.

Only shame is that it will only appear in March, when LLC will be almost over, and real world gliding season will kick off :( Still, looking forward very much to read your article

Now, who will write that article for AeroKurier ? :D

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:08 pm

Speaking of magazines.

I was wondering if there are good magazines published in English on soaring? :?
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

thermal

Post by thermal » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:31 pm

.....was wondering if there are good magazines published in English on soaring?
Look at http://www.ssa.org/magazine/howtoreceive.asp

I think that covers it :wink:
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

thermal

Post by thermal » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:36 pm

@Simicro,

Good idea!

Unfortunately, my flight was rudely interrupted after some 70 km at an altitude of 1150 meters, so it is not much of use as promotional material. :cry:
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

louras

Post by louras » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:59 pm

Vertigo wrote:which I find odd when you consider how popular gliding is in France.
Gliding is popular.. computers are not :lol:

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:44 pm

Vertigo, I write for Micro Simulateur a monthly magazine. Yes you are right to question the date the article is published. I will see what I can do as far as I am concerned but it also depends on the editor and the other magazine constraints. I cannot promise anything but at the best it would be published in february.

In fact when the LLC started I was just discovering Condor and after that I had to write the Condor review. It's only after my 4th races that I had enough distance and had the idea of the article about the LLC

Thermal and other pilots even if you got disconnected/crashed I am interested to be aware of how things went for others than me or the french speaking group I was flying with.

Having the ghosts I will also be able to make good screenshots.

So if you have a flighttrack please send it to me.

If I do not have enough flightracks I might make a call to pilots who were on other servers.

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:45 am

GregNuspel wrote:Speaking of magazines.

I was wondering if there are good magazines published in English on soaring? :?
Greg,

'paper' magazines are getting rare these days especially on gliding. Probably your best choice for a full magazine is "Soaring" published by the American Soaring Society of America (link is already posted). You used to be able to get it at news stands but I haven't seen any place carry it for at least 10 years or so. There's also a UK based magazine as well, but works out slightly more expensive.

A few other options:

On-line soaring magazine: http://www.glidingmagazine.com

If you want to support Canadian soaring there's the Free Flight newsletter: http://www.sac.ca/fflight.htm for $26 a year for none SAC members.

For a full 'paper' magazine "Soaring" by SSA is probably the best way to go.
Rick Blythin

Heat

Post by Heat » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:30 pm

Speaking of magazines.

I was wondering if there are good magazines published in English on soaring?
I have been reading Soaring for ~8 years (well, ever since I learned enough english to understand it anyway), recently swapped for the british magazine Sailplane & Gliding. I find Sailplane & Gliding much more interesting magazine, there's a lot of good articles about how to improve one's soaring. In the end I read only the Johnson's flight test evaluations from Soaring with great interest. In short I'd say Soaring is more about stories within gliding, while S&G has more theoretical articles about how to fly in wave/ridge/thermal/x-country and so on.

For S&G address is www.gliding.co.uk

Tho I think that the germans have some gliding only magazine too? I've been thinking about learning to read german because I believe it to be really good magazine too :)

Just my two cents :)
Heaven can wait, Sky cannot

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:20 pm

OK I'm subscribing to Soaring and Sailplane & Gliding. I bet the German magazines are great but I have enough problems with English. (yes it is my only language) :oops:
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data