A plea for Rudy Jennen

Tomcat84

A plea for Rudy Jennen

Post by Tomcat84 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:53 am

hey Lowlands guys, i look at the results and see that Rudy got no points, i would advocate to give him what he earned, cause Tim and I were both there waiting for him to finish, and he struggled but sweated it out and made it all the way in, and while finishing he was just about to get there when he wanted to lower his gear, that caused his pilot to release the stick and so his plane nosed into the ground, crashed and then slid over the finish 1 second later.

I say, be reasonable, and give him his score cause it was really really unlucky

I hope the jury will be mild.

So ends my plea :D
Reg-#: PH-2112
Comp-#: F3

pekkis924

Post by pekkis924 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Funny pilots indeed in this game releasing controls. :D

Full points have been given before in this situation so why not now?

Buellsteven

Post by Buellsteven » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:57 pm

I agree,
Be aware Rudy is the organizer of the "All Famus and feared Balen Keiheuvel Competition" in real live.His revenge will be sweet! :twisted:
But it's true;here is made a point.The same with Tims flight(the terrain loading).They crossed the line afther a magnificent flight.I hope the judge can be generous.On the picture included in the former post you can read Rudy HAS finished the task :wink:

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:08 pm

I've read the rules, and give the man his points :)

Caspar

Re: A plea for Rudy Jennen

Post by Caspar » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Tomcat84 wrote:Image
*sigh*, as you can see from this picture my internet yet again quit on me :cry:

I need a modemrouter that doesn't refresh it's DHCP IP every hour :evil:

desktopsimmer

Re: A plea for Rudy Jennen

Post by desktopsimmer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:52 pm

Caspar wrote:I need a modemrouter that doesn't refresh it's DHCP IP every hour :evil:
A nice D-link G604T does the trick for me :)

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Maybe R.Jennen has no point because he crash before cross a finish line? Crash before end in rules is 0 points I think. In chat is firstly crash and than finishing task... But it is a question for LLC organizares.. I strongly recommend switch "stick centers with hand off" in Setup for prevent this type of unlucky crash.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:48 pm

Being a judge can be tough.. the number of corner cases you guys keep coming up with, never ceases to amaze me. We have rules that are thick as a phone book and (we thought) would cover about any situation, right ? I guess not :)

Ok, first my "philosophy" behind judging and scoring: we have tried to make a set of rules and a scoring system that reflects real world where possible, without being blind to the fact this is a simulator with properties that are different from the real world. E.g., IRL, you do no get disconnections, computer freezes, and you have more than 30° degrees FOV. The idea however, is still to penalise risks you wouldn't take in real life, and promote where possible, safe flying as you would in reality. To be honest, if it werent for the fact Condor locks up often, internet connections aren't perfect, and outlandings aren't always realistic, I would even prefer to have a competition where crashed pilots are no longer allowed to fly. If you think that is harsh, think about the "penalty" when you crash in real life.

Back to the point. NX had a comparable issue a few races ago: his computer froze for a few seconds while on final glide (plenty of energy to finish). When his computer "defrosted" again, he had already crashed. I have seen his IGC, and heard witnesses, and I am confident this was much more a "condor/pc/internet induced" crash, than a pilot's error induced crash. With mixed emotions, I scored him, with penalty points. I figure he took unnecessary risks by not trimming his plane properly and/or not keeping enough ground clearance to survive a PC hickup (which happens to most of us).. but.. ok.. it wouldn't have happened had it been a real world flight. I told him however, a next time I would not score him, so he better keep some safety margins next finish

As for Rudy.. I know who he his ;) I also know he used to disqualify or penalize pilots in his own organised (real world) competition in the era before GPS loggers when people had e.g. malfunctioning photo camera's, forgot to take an image of the tail or whatever before the start... So if I would not score him, I'm sure, of all people, Rudy would understand.

Question is, was this a pilot induced crash, or a "condor induced" one ? Certainly it was avoidable. If nothing else, indeed enabling "stick centers with hand off" would have prevented it. Then again, I'm also quite sure Rudy would not have released the stick to lower his gear IRL, or at least not long enough to crash. I guess that is an argument to score him.

A strong argument not to score him, are the rules. They clearly state that any crash between start and finish will by default result in zero points. even though it was just a few seconds, it did happen before the crash.

Trying to somewhat obey the rules, while keeping a human touch, I will do the following: I will score Rudy (although I will apply the same penalty NX and others got). If any LLC competitor objects to this rule bending, he should file a complaint with the LLC Jury and have them decide. I would not be surprised in that case, the jury will indeed disqualify Rudy as per rules, but then it will not have been my decission, and I can still order my beer in the Kei ;)

wow.. long post..

VT
Last edited by Vertigo on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Vertigo, you are a gentleman, and a good sport :) After reading the rules a few times, I understand the situation that you are placed in. Maybe in the next email out to competitors and an entry on the Lowland web site a mention about the "stick centers with hand off" setting.

Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:06 pm

yay! :)
Reg-#: PH-2112
Comp-#: F3