Impressions Day 13

cruiser

Impressions Day 13

Post by cruiser » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:57 pm

I got disconnected just before the race start, so I had to fly alone again. Nothing special about this task, except maybe that it was insane turbulence. I usually couldnt center on the best lifts because of all the turbulence.

Anyway, I managed 117kmh avg.

I have one question about disconnects. Do we still get 20 penalty points ? Since its possible to check for could flying etc. since patch6.

KarlKoch

Post by KarlKoch » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:00 pm

its 10 points penalty, and yes, these are applied to prevent that pilots disconnect because they don't want to have someone on their tail.
I do NOT care who is your daddy. As long as i am fishing here, you don't walk over the water

Heat

Post by Heat » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:13 pm

Fun day again, at last one day on flatlands! Cheers to that :>

At the start I was just going high above the clouds waiting for a few ppl to start before me, and indeed there was almost continual stream of starts going on, so at some point I joined the stream. Bit behind CM and BB. (SL server, 32 players.) First leg was just fine, I got some good climbs, and got even and ahead of quite a many pilots. Second leg started with a really long glide before I found a semi-decent (about 3.5ms) lift, in which I took myself into cloudbase just be on the safe side, since the upcoming clouds didnt look that promising. After turning tp2 I was allways going for the "next cloud" and that "next good lift" to make it home with mc3 or so. Well, in the end I found out that I was just 15k away from home with a mc 1.5glidepath +10m. So in I came, and, altough I did glide slow, the average was ok, 131,3kph and at that time the winning position on that server.

I figure 140kph would have been doable at this day too, tho. Interestedly waiting for the results to come up :>
Heaven can wait, Sky cannot

GregNuspel

Post by GregNuspel » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:17 pm

I was slow in two ways:
1/ I started server late by 9 minutes due to traffic while trying to run a quick trip to the store, so I missed lunch.
2/ I just fly too slow :-(
--Greg Nuspel
Condor XCSoar Data

Aki

Post by Aki » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:37 pm

Wow, nice speed Heat! I managed to finish the task with 117kph, and that felt decently fast. I must learn to push myself that much faster. 8) What sort of inter thermal speeds were you using today? I was cruising at 90-100 knots most of the time in the D2C with full water (once I realised I could)...

The task started off fine. I also worked my way above cloud while waiting for the start line to open. The first leg was ok, with consistent lift, and I think this is where I lost most of my time- I wasn't pushing hard enough. The second leg got tricky, with difficult, rough thermals, which I had real difficulty in coring. Quite a few clouds let me down also. The last leg was marked with consistent good lift- an absolutely heaving last climb of over 8knots lifted me onto a 120knot final glide... A VNE wormburner finish lead into a pull-up straight into lift, which I worked while waiting for the others to finish. :wink:

Good fun!

Aki

Heat

Post by Heat » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:45 pm

I used inter-thermal speeds.. well, if I was really high with plenty of good looking clouds ahead, I went into something like 180kmh, and those long glides with blue sky ahead, waiting for small cu's to pop.. tried to maintain speed between 150-160kmh. (divide with 2 for rough estimation on knots I think). Also used D2 with full water.
Heaven can wait, Sky cannot

Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:57 pm

D2 full water also, 30 seconds or so slower than "Heat" haha

i cruised inter thermal at about 180-190 km/h
Reg-#: PH-2112
Comp-#: F3

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 am

I started 1min after opening of the line and then decided to start turing off track in a weak thermal.
And I waited for others to come to my 'supreme' thermal, which they did.
So I was laughing behind my pc, but damn, there was a small cloud forming directly beside my cloud's thermal..
5m was the result... so instead of beating my opponents I just gave them an advantage!

I restarted as planned, and I flew together with SL.
.. for the first 20km...
there he made a different descission as I did, and from then the gap became only bigger and bigger.
I wasn't going well, ended up low, and flew about 60km between 300 and 600m agl.
half way second leg I coul find my climb of the day, 3.2m/s
After turning TP2 I ended up in a 0.7m/s in order to stay airborne.
When this one died a new cloud formed in front of me wich brought me a little bit higher to reach a little hill.
There I was able to get some 5m indications, but it was so turbulent that it was only 3.1m/s
With -300m on finalglide, and by flying underneath every cloud I ended up 300m+ in order to make a nice speedfinish instead of low straight in.
I believe I made about 10 finishes :)
And one of them was with my wing below someone else's wing, maybe F3 got a screenshot of it.
I finished almost last, only PM was behind me.

My fault today:
I started way behind the others but it was not a good descission as I couldn't hit the strong thermals as I heard the others about.
I only made 120km/h which could have been about 1-2 mins faster if I'd came straight in,
but my envirement wanted me to make a low pass :)
Think positive, flaps negative.

Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:06 am

TimKuijpers wrote:And one of them was with my wing below someone else's wing, maybe F3 got a screenshot of it.

almost timed it right hehe:

Pierre.v.d.Elshout

Post by Pierre.v.d.Elshout » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:00 am

First leg was going pretty good. But I had to turn twices to get TP1 rounded :oops: . On second leg I came 2-3 times a bit low so I had to take 1 meter.

When I saw it would be a bad day for me, I decided to go for a insane finish :twisted: , so I climb 200 meters above glidepath and begun to glide to the airfield. I was flying about 280 low above the ground and decide to make a half roll. When I flied on the back and flied over the finish line, I was so happy so I released my controls...that ended in a fatal crash... :cry: :lol:
Glider-Equipment.nl

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:04 pm

nice race, but the task could have been bit more challenging, i hope there'll be some wind again in the next one so we can use the ridges a bit.

I flew in a way together with DS and we started at first on our server. I couldn start much later as i did not have that much time because of a test at school today morning.
So we startet together with N5, followed by AS who started about 5 minutes behind me. At the beginning it was going well, flying MC 2.7 i was quite fast and i got some nice 4ms thermals together with DS.
Short after TP2 there was NOTHING, for 20 or 30km most clouds were decreasing and we had about 1100m. So we went on, taking a 2ms lift for 150m i continued and some kilometers further we got a nice 4ms thermal which i could not really center :roll:. So as i went on i already searched a thermal where i could get enough alt. for final glide and some minutes later i tapped in a 4.5ms thermal lifting me up to cloudbase and the race was done :)

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:18 pm

report CM :>>
i was fly verry well and come above the clouds before start so i fly a little of the task and just before start i was see many clouds are coming so i was fly 45°from 1th leg (just after start)and it was a 1min +3 so i was come high and follow by CA we go to next i was see NX he say 5m but he was fly back?? i was turn 4.8 verry good thermal so fly to tp 1 whit some good therms Leg2 was not so good if 1sth leg so i was listig ons TEAMSPEAK and 5D and F3 say +4 i was fly to there just 2.5 but go to cloud base and nexct thermal was 3.5 so turn the TP and all pilots was before me(BB,F3,SR,X,FH,5D,mybe forgot some:) ) so at FG i was see a nice cloud at the start so i fly to there +3m but i wasent can't center the thermal so 1.5to FG i tought but mc stay just on 0.5:) so turn whit BB in a 3m thermal and then at FG i was just at 100km/u at finish i was turn to the hangars and stay in hangar THNX FOR RACE!!
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:46 pm

mosquito wrote:nice race, but the task could have been bit more challenging
why arent you top 3 then? ;) just kidding

i know what you mean. But for once i thought it was nice for me poor dutch pilot to just worry about thermals, no having to think, crap, are those Germans going to find Wave somewhere and get a + 10 km/h average by default again ;)

haha

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:17 pm

My first "Over 100km Thermal only race"

At the Start of the race, managed to find a thermal were I was able to get to 1800m waited for the start by thermal hopping cloud to cloud. Then at start, set off and cruised at 150kph. At half way to TP1 decided to boost up to 1700m and contiune on. TP1 presented me with a challenge, lost all thermals and I thought this is going blue, way to fast. Found a 1-2m/s thermal and slowly climbed as the race leaders dissappeared (was catching S.Churchill, 19, at one point), wasted far too much time there. Decided to coast again at 150kph to TP2 and found a couple of 5 m/s thermals along the way. TP2 to TP3 again coasted at 150kph, and landed safely.

Next time I'll bring water, 99% sure I told the Flight crew to load up water and budwiser, both not on glider......

kloudy

Post by kloudy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:47 pm

After many weeks of schedule alteration and manipulation, my wife reminded me to re-check the clock coordinates to PST for the upcoming LLC 13. I explained the GMT minus so many hours meant that Thursday sessions coincided with work so Sunday provided an alternative. I was ready.
I had been looking forward to finally joining the LLC, my wife knew it and she didn't want anything to go wrong.
She made certain that all our weekend chores were scheduled for Saturday and that Sunday morning she would see that I would be "at the helm" for a couple of hours.
Saturday dinner with friends, she reminded me that the clock conversions were a little confusing to her and would I remind her when 2030 Euro-time would coincide with PST.

I calculated GMT-PST and told her everything was ready.
Sunday morning I sparked the PC, adjusted the chair, finished my coffee and looked at the clock. Hmm 20 min. to briefing and grid time.
My dear partner filled a water bottle for me, put it on my desk, reminded me to empty my bladder, and kissed me a good-luck smooch.

I sat down, opened the servers list and noticed...

RACE IN PROGRESS!

for about an hour.

I had properly calculated 2030 GMT-PST only to re-read in my e-mail (in bold letters) grid time 2030 CET :oops:

My wife wondered why this sullen figure emerged from the library so soon.
I explained the events, we had a good laugh, a good lunch and a good day.

Here's to Sunday in three weeks, see you there. :wink: